Sleeping Car Etiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Hi all. Do lower lever sleeping pax get first crack, for example, in the showers? When accessing the baggage area and rest rooms down below - any heightened considerations the norm? I wonder are bedroom pax more exclusive, if you will, of expected or hoped for personal courtesies and professional attention? Is it OK to walk around in sleeping attire?

Hi all. Do lower lever sleeping pax get first crack, for example, in the showers? When accessing the baggage area and rest rooms down below - any heightened considerations the norm? I wonder are bedroom pax more exclusive, if you will, of expected or hoped for personal courtesies and professional attention? Is it OK to walk around in sleeping attire?
I'm not aware of any service-related division between upper and lower level passengers. It's first come, first served when it comes to in-car amenities such as storage and showers. Generally less able bodied folks will be on the first level whenever possible and have their meals brought to them. Most Amtrak passengers will be dressed rather casually, but I still wouldn't walk around in sleeping attire when the sun is up or when visiting other cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only difference in "first class" treatment i have noticed is between different sleeping cars and is dependent, i think,on your sca. i have seen the sca in one car pass out cider, champagne and little soap/shampoo bags while the sca in another sleeper does not. let alone that the sca may or may not be available for problems/questions depending on their view of their role as sca. i haven't walked around the sleeping car in pj's but as long as you had proper footwear i don't see a problem with taking your clothes to the shower and chaging there.

Its generally first come first serve. If you use the shower, be aware that the attendant might not be around to clean up after every use. Be considerate of the next passenger. If the shower area is a mess, then one of the other passengers may not have been that considerate. When you use the shower, try to keep the curtain fastened. Even so, water may escape and end up on the floor. So make sure anything you want to keep dry is not on the floor. After toweling off, I use the towel to wipe up water from the floor.

I'm more special than others!
mosking.gif

Seriously, there is no one more exclusive than anybody else. Showers and restrooms are first come / first served. But with 1 rest room upstairs and 3 more downstairs on Superliners, I very rarely find them all occupied, and I very rarely find the shower occupied. (I think the longest "line" for the shower that I have seen is 1 person!)

I personally do not walk around the car in PJ's (because I sleep in my clothes and change the next day), but I have seen others go to the rest room or showers in them. I keep my clothes in my luggage downstairs on Superliiners, and just grab them on the way to the shower, then put them back in my bag after the shower.

The most important thing is to wear appropriate footwear when walking on the train - especially between cars! Getting your toes caught between the plates is no picnic!
ohmy.gif

The most important thing is to wear appropriate footwear when walking on the train - especially between cars! Getting your toes caught between the plates is no picnic!
The Traveler makes a great point here. Proper footwear is important for several reasons, including potential injuries when crossing car couplings and in consideration of the unknown cleanliness of the floors. Keep in mind that while the floor may look clean it may be far dirtier than you first realize. Different passengers will have vastly different levels of hygiene and bathroom etiquette and even hallway floors may have been contaminated with untreated human sewage after toilet system failures. Trust me on this; I've seen it happen. Wearing proper footwear is one of the few things I've seen OBS make a big deal about and it's definitely worth the effort to put your shoes on whenever you're up and about.

I've been lucky enough in recent years to travel by bedroom, so the communal shower thing hasn't been an issue with me. I do know a few folks who, when riding in a roomette, will choose non-traditional times for their shower. But, in the end, it is first come, first served. I think it is good to be considerate of the next user and try not to leave to much of a mess.

Not sure what to think on the pajamas issue. I personally don't wander in public areas in PJ's but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Maybe inappropriate for the dining car. As has been said elsewhere, good footwear is a must.

I always do my best to leave the public shower and restroom in as good if not better shape then when I found it. It doesn't take a few extra seconds to dry down the shower stall and floor, throw away your soap bar and stash your dirty linens in the bag.

The most first class passengers are the ones that are lucky enough to have GUL as their SCA.

Amtrak provides OJ and Champgne for EB passengers - some sca don't even bother to distribute the bubbly but Gul does (as he should) then he combines the two and distributes Mimosas. Just one example of his going beyond the normal service.

The Traveler makes a great point here. Proper footwear is important for several reasons, including potential injuries when crossing car couplings and in consideration of the unknown cleanliness of the floors. Keep in mind that while the floor may look clean it may be far dirtier than you first realize. Different passengers will have vastly different levels of hygiene and bathroom etiquette and even hallway floors may have been contaminated with untreated human sewage after toilet system failures. Trust me on this; I've seen it happen. Wearing proper footwear is one of the few things I've seen OBS make a big deal about and it's definitely worth the effort to put your shoes on whenever you're up and about.
There is a footwear rule in the dining car even for non-walking passengers! On the EB I brought my 8 month old from our bedroom to the dining car in his socks and we were made to put shoes on him before service. At the time I was a bit annoyed, but later I decided that the attendant had no way of knowing whether or not the baby could stand or walk. It's a good rule for all above PP reasons to just keep shoes on outside your room.

Wearing proper footwear is one of the few things I've seen OBS make a big deal about and it's definitely worth the effort to put your shoes on whenever you're up and about.
Actually within my assigned car I'm just as likely to be walking around in a pair of travel slippers, especially when headed to the shower, but even to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee.

However, I never leave the car without my shoes being on. And I personally would never wear a pair of flip-flops as my shoes, way too dangerous when walking between cars.

I have found that jogging pants and a t-shirt make for good traveling attire.....and when on board, I wear a pair of moccasins for footwear....easy to take on and off....a good time to shower is around 5am, then it's breakfast time..... :)

I've always wondered about this. Does everyone throw away their soap bar after use?

I always do my best to leave the public shower and restroom in as good if not better shape then when I found it. It doesn't take a few extra seconds to dry down the shower stall and floor, throw away your soap bar and stash your dirty linens in the bag.

Regarding requiring "babes in arms" to be wearing shoes in the dining car. This is an utterly ridiculous rule. I didn't even have shoes for my child until she was walking at 11 months. Is this, indeed, a regulation for Amtrak travel?

I've only been on one long-distance Amtrak trip, on the SW Chief and Capitol Ltd. I worried about availability of the shower, but it turned out to be no problem at all. There was never a line, and I showered twice daily as I do at home.

What did surprise me was the vast difference in the size and design of the shower. The shower room on the Chief was very modern, spacious, and the shower had a glass door and the dressing area was very nice. I was shocked at the very old-fashioned restroom and shower facilities on the Capitol Ltd. They were 1970-era airline design. The shower was tiny, as was the dressing room. I had a really hard time managing the shower curtain. I really don't know how a "person of size" would manage in the old shower facility. I hadn't realized there could be such a disparity in restrooms and showers on Superliners.

and when on board, I wear a pair of moccasins for footwear....easy to take on and off
Hopefully you do not wear the moccasins when passing between cars. Those shifting and bouncing plates don't care what kind of shoes you have! They'll bite anything!
ohmy.gif
I'll take my chances with a (semi) hard toe shoe!
rolleyes.gif
They do have rubber soles.....I am not stealthy at all.... :lol: ....and I try not to step on the crack between the plates.... :p

and when on board, I wear a pair of moccasins for footwear....easy to take on and off
Hopefully you do not wear the moccasins when passing between cars. Those shifting and bouncing plates don't care what kind of shoes you have! They'll bite anything!
ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif
They do have rubber soles.....I am not stealthy at all.... :lol: ....and I try not to step on the crack between the plates.... :p
Maybe they do have rubber soles and maybe you "TRY", but what if the train jerks and you hit a wall, or jerks when you step between cars?
huh.gif
Are the rubber soles going to protect the front of, or top of, your foot?
huh.gif

ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif
Maybe they do have rubber soles and maybe you "TRY", but what if the train jerks and you hit a wall, or jerks when you step between cars?
huh.gif
huh.gif
If passengers that have "soft" footwear get their feet injured of the walk plates between the cars then the conductor has to make a decision. Ambulance or tow truck?

:help: :blush: :help:

ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif
If passengers that have "soft" footwear get their feet injured of the walk plates between the cars then the conductor has to make a decision. Ambulance or tow truck?

:help: :blush: :help:
Bazinga!!

I've always wondered about this. Does everyone throw away their soap bar after use?
I always do. I'll even take out bars of soap left behind by others. And like Steve, the last thing that I do with my towel is to mop up any water on the floor.

What did surprise me was the vast difference in the size and design of the shower. The shower room on the Chief was very modern, spacious, and the shower had a glass door and the dressing area was very nice. I was shocked at the very old-fashioned restroom and shower facilities on the Capitol Ltd. They were 1970-era airline design. The shower was tiny, as was the dressing room. I had a really hard time managing the shower curtain. I really don't know how a "person of size" would manage in the old shower facility. I hadn't realized there could be such a disparity in restrooms and showers on Superliners.
You clearly had one of the Refurbished sleepers on the Chief, while an original on the Capitol. And yet they both actually occupy the same amount of space within the car, it's simply the wonder of smaller parts and better design that provide the extra room you found in the shower on the Chief.

The same is also true of the restrooms, they still occupy the same amount of space within the car.

I always do. I'll even take out bars of soap left behind by others. And like Steve, the last thing that I do with my towel is to mop up any water on the floor.
I bring my own liquid soap. Not a comment on Amtrak, just like the soap, and usually carry it. I mop up the floor as the last thing, too. And dump the towel in the dirty laundry duffle.

Amtrak makes a big deal out of this and rightly so~ safety first and there really is no excuse for bare feet or flip flops versus plate steel at 79 mph !!! :help:

If you can get the toes on ice they can sew them on back on pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back