sleeping positions

• Thread starter guest planning a trip
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never given it any thought which way I slept, feet or head first. I would say 90% of the SCA's I've had set me up head first. Last trip on the TE the SCA set me up feet and it felt strange, didn't alter how I slept though. I like to look out teh window during the night if I'm awake especially at a station so I can tell if we're on time.

A slightly different thought. I always use roomettes so I'm always parallel. The question is head first or feet first. I prefer feet first as a sudden stop won't crunch my head. I can't remember if the attendants set you up this way. I always sit during the day facing forward.
While I agree with your assessment for sleeping, although as MrFSS pointed out that's not always possible to do, when it comes to sitting during the day you've got it backwards. If you're concerned about being safe in a sudden stop, then you want to sit facing backwards. That way in a sudden stop the chair cushions your body and keeps you from slamming forward. The chair will support your spine and neck, as well as your head.

If you're facing forward, you're going to fly across the compartment and into the other seat. Of if you have your legs out and brace yourself; there is at least a chance that you could end up with broken legs.

Granted all of that is very worst case scenario, as the train pretty much has to hit a brick wall to stop that abruptly.
A sudden stop is more likely to happen on a bus. Almost all bus seats face forward, so you're pretty much toast if the unthinkable happens on a Long Dog.

A slightly different thought. I always use roomettes so I'm always parallel. The question is head first or feet first. I prefer feet first as a sudden stop won't crunch my head. I can't remember if the attendants set you up this way. I always sit during the day facing forward.
That idea is fine in a Superliner, but in a Viewliner with the commode - sink where it is, your head has to be at the other end and depending on the car's orientation in the consist you could be either way, head first or feet first. But I agree, I prefer feet first, too, if possible.
Yes I thought of that, I wonder if Superliner 3 will have their version of the Viewliner setup.

That idea is fine in a Superliner, but in a Viewliner with the commode - sink where it is, your head has to be at the other end and depending on the car's orientation in the consist you could be either way, head first or feet first. But I agree, I prefer feet first, too, if possible.
You can't sleep with your head on (or in) the toilet? :D

Yes I thought of that, I wonder if Superliner 3 will have their version of the Viewliner setup.
Even though the toilet will be dropped in the new Viewliner II's, and therefore will not appear in any Superliner III roomettes, I do expect that any new Superliners will have the tapered bed found in the Viewliners. Even if they don't taper the lower bed, I'm pretty sure that they will taper the upper bunk.

That taper at the feet makes it so much easier to climb up into the upper bunk. Especially if one is carrying a few extra pounds around. But even for a skinny guy like me, it's still much easier to climb up with that extra room between the wall and the bed.

So far all the rooms that I have slept in have been bedrooms - perpendicular beds. Wifey and I slept like babies.
In a few days I am going on my first roomette trip - time to try something new :)
I've slept both ways once in a bedroom on the CZ and in a roomette on all the other trips. I have had no problems sleeping in either way. For some reason I like my head to be on the end of the bed the direction the train is going. I think I said that right. :huh: I'll check again in May, CZ here I come :)

Aloha

It's been funreading all the opinions about wich way to sleep, heck I gave an opinion myself, but I want to say, I usualy sleep on my side. :)

You can't sleep with your head on (or in) the toilet? :D
Depends how much I've had to drink in the lounge...

It's my opinion sleeping comfort in a room/roomette is more a function of LOCATION than direction. Rooms closer to the center of the sleeper are the more comfortable. When I travel solo I take a roomette and when the bride is along we take a bedroom. We've found over the years that LOCATION is the key to comfort in either.

Best regards,

Rodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back