snacks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Honestly the SCA's that go above and beyond are providing the basics of what should be expected.
While I don't expect an SCA to provide anything out of his/her own pocket, I do think that Amtrak is being penny wise, pound foolish when it cheaps out on providing five bucks or so worth of amenities to its best and most profitable customers.
Oh sorry... I meant the average Amtrak passenger wouldn't realize they were paying out of pocket for things that should be standard.
Those of us who do realize they are going above and beyond tip well I would think / hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Westbound out of Chicago, so I doubt it.
Oh those pastries are so full of preservatives that they last forever. They can easily be stocked from Los Angeles and make multiple runs between Chicago and LA without going bad. Also the pastries are made in San Luis Obispo so they had to have originated from the Surfliner stock since no other route offers them aboard Amtrak.

Westbound out of Chicago, so I doubt it.
Oh those pastries are so full of preservatives that they last forever. They can easily be stocked from Los Angeles and make multiple runs between Chicago and LA without going bad. Also the pastries are made in San Luis Obispo so they had to have originated from the Surfliner stock since no other route offers them aboard Amtrak.
Larry on the Chief might be friendly with Emily on the Surfliner, and Emily might drop her unused pastries off with him after her run on a regular basis. While this would probably violate protocol, I think it unlikely that issued but unused food would be returned to stock, so they would otherwise be thrown away. The real tight-askers would object, but nobody is truly being defrauded and passengers are happier.

Well, this is kind of a let down. I thought coffee, juice and water would be available all day on the sleepers.

I have asked for and received coffee in the DC in the afternoon because they knew I was in the sleeper. Also, by asking the SCA, I have always been able to get a bottle of water.
Well, hope we get a show up good SCA, okay the DC will give you free coffee? Will the cafe lounge give you free water if you mention you are in the sleeper car

Nothing is free in the Cafe is my experience. Requests through the SCA is the best bet. I saw the coffee pot going in the DC so I asked. Since they knew I had come from the Sleeper there was no problem. I have known some in the middle of the night asking for coffee in the DC when the conductors sit down to do their work. I was told the coffee pot runs all night for the Conductors.

Well, this is kind of a let down. I thought coffee, juice and water would be available all day on the sleepers.
Unfortunately, you're about two years or so too late. It would be nice if they returned to the former way of operation, but I don't expect that to happen, even if budgets were increased. Having fewer items to manage and a smaller window in which to manage them makes it easier on everyone (except the passengers).

As previously mentioned, if you want juices or other drinks, bring them along with you. When I return from a trip, I often fill a beverage container with juice from my hotel's breakfast bar, or grab an extra juice/beverage from the concierge lounge (if I stay at such a property). Also, if you are routing through Chicago or DC, you can fill a container in the Metropolitan Lounge or Acela Club Lounge. (Best to use the standard Amtrak cups provided in those locations, so as not to raise the ire of overprotective staff.)

Nothing is free in the Cafe is my experience.
True. This (dispensing unpaid items) would mess up their inventory control system. It's the same reason that snack bars and convenience stores charge for drink cups (it's how they account for product sold).
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I've never heard of a snack bar counting cups.

And if Amtrak does count cups, they have a way to mark "Free" or "Water" because you can always ask the Cafe attendant for a cup of hot water or a cup of ice.

Counting cups is actually more common than one would think. I actually worked 2 summers in a place that did that. A full sleeve was 50 cups or 100 depending on size. Half an hour to count up inventory to make sure we didn't give away a 50 cent coke or a dollar hot dog (we counted rolls). (1972)

Most modern people today would just use cameras, but not everyone is up to date.

I've had lots of great SCAs that put out fruit,cookies,good juice,tea,candy, magazines etc.and have a supply of videos for their passengers and it comes out of their pocket!

I'm still amazed how so many Sleeper passengers don't tip their SCAs and Diner Staff that give "above and beyond"service, but love to complain about picky stuff like they didn't make my bed the instant they ring the call bell!.
The ones that do so out of the goodness of their hearts are real gems. Then there's others that do so because they are trying to shamelessly prime the pump for better rewards (gratuities).

Several years ago on the Capitol Limited, there was a SCA who, when boarding from DC, would have each occupied sleeper laid out with the tray table extended, a linen napkin from the diner placed artistically over the tables and mints and candies laid out. There might even have been cups pre-filled with ice provided for the water, etc. During his boarding spiel he would mention helpful tips (like putting a damp washcloth over the window vents in order to add humidity to the room) and note that the elaborate tray display was his doing and that, yes, he was trying to “butter you up” (his actual phrase). At one point during the journey I overheard him brag to another passenger about how he had met Joe Boardman “many times” over the years (and that he’d been working for AMTK for something like 27 years).

Sounds great, right? Well, the kicker for me was when I asked him to pull down my bed at a specific time, which was rather late (but not past Midnight). His response was a small laugh followed by “Oh no, I’ll be asleep by then!” Now there are a number of ways he could have said it which would have been a little more customer friendly while still getting the point across. But his rather flippant response told me that his view of his job was to service the passengers when it was convenient, while still expecting to be rewarded for simply gracing the pax with his presence.

I don’t know if his borderline obsequiousness resulted in gratuities from others in my car, but it wasn’t enough to merit one from me.

True. This (dispensing unpaid items) would mess up their inventory control system. It's the same reason that snack bars and convenience stores charge for drink cups (it's how they account for product sold).
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I've never heard of a snack bar counting cups.
And if Amtrak does count cups, they have a way to mark "Free" or "Water" because you can always ask the Cafe attendant for a cup of hot water or a cup of ice.
I'm not talking about the clear custom-printed ones from Eco-Products used systemwide on Amtrak, I was referring to other places which have fountain beverages that are normally self-serve. Since all foodservice on trains has pre-packaged beverage items (save for coffee and iced tea in the diners), that method of inventory control isn't necessary. But it's also why the cafe car just can't hand out bottles of water to sleeper pax---even if they are the very same size of Roxane water that is distributed in the sleepers.

Counting cups is actually more common than one would think. I actually worked 2 summers in a place that did that. A full sleeve was 50 cups or 100 depending on size. Half an hour to count up inventory to make sure we didn't give away a 50 cent coke or a dollar hot dog (we counted rolls). (1972)

Most modern people today would just use cameras, but not everyone is up to date.
It’s not just to control employee theft, but also a close-enough-for-government-work way of accounting for sales (as in, “Which sell better during April, medium or large drinks?”). I used to work for a regional convenience store chain (now owned by Kroger). In those days, there was just an electronic cash register with department-coded keys (I think there were separate ones for coffee and fountain drinks) for various items, but not many. Now, the same store chain (as well as behemoths like 7-Eleven and Circle K) has barcode scanners so that each size of cup can be scanned. But I’ll bet they still inventory the cups as a way of tallying merchandise shrink. [Oh, and the store I used to work in used to count hot dog buns, too. :p ]

It used to be available all the time. Now due to cost cutting, it is only supposed to be made in the morning - say from 5:30 am until 10 am. You may find coffee & juice available after that, but don't count on it.
The pre-printed signage for the beverage station notes that coffee is provided from “6 AM-11 AM”. Some SCAs take that to heart (in other words, don’t come at 5:55 expecting just-brewed coffee, nor at 11:10); others start the pot when they get up (and even, I’ve noticed, before they are in uniform) so that it’s ready by 5:20-5:30. Some leave the pot on until coffee runs out or after lunch, whichever comes first. But in my experience, the majority hew pretty closely to the new way of doing business.

I guess I've been lucky... I've worked for some crazy places but never had to count cups. Ha. It seems odd to me, what happens if a customer throws a cup away because of a leak, or dirt or many things?

I do agree that Amtraks inventory seems fairly tight with bottles of water...

One time on the zephyr, sleeper passengers were scolded over the PA by the sleeper attendant (Chicago based Andre') for asking for additional waters (among other things like waiting too late to ask for beds turned down).
That is the kind of attendant that should be fired INSTANTLY1 If I was traveling as an undercover QC Supervisor, he/she would have been handed termination with cause right then and there and be off the train next stop. This is a serious problem Amtrak needs to be giving top priority as of yesterday-providing CONSISTENT TOP QUALITY SERVICE IN BOTH THE COACHES AND SLEEPERS.

I guess I've been lucky... I've worked for some crazy places but never had to count cups. Ha. It seems odd to me, what happens if a customer throws a cup away because of a leak, or dirt or many things?
For the places that care to keep track of such things, there's usually a "waste sheet" that's used to mark such things as spoiled drink cups (and grody hot dogs left over at the end of the day). At the company I worked for, we were trained to look in the garbage receptacles before changing the liners, particularly near the drink counter. Invariably there would be a coffee cup or two plus a cold cup when someone decided too late that they would rather have Mountain Dew instead of Dr Pepper and reusing the same cup for the former just wasn't an option. Before I started working at such a place I thought it was bizarre as well; now I would probably institute the same system if I had a store.

Previously, I worked at McDonald's while in college. Because the registers accounted for every item sold (even if someone wanted a plain hamburger patty for a toddler), there were no major cup concerns (other than if multiple cups fell on the floor or if a sleeve of cups became too warm and the wax coating made several stick together and therefore unusable). But we were still yelled at if caught giving water in anything other than a 'courtesy cup', since larger sizes of cups were deemed too expensive for non-revenue use.

Off topic, but for those who believe counting cups is odd, the Sacramento bar where I had my wedding reception years ago used to weigh their booze bottles at each shift change to discourage "overpouring" by the bartenders. I understood that if the bottle weights did not jive with their sales of the product, the staff had to make up the difference out of their pay!

You've shown once again that you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. 10oz coffee cups are non-revenue and uncounted. 12oz cups however ARE revenue, and may have to answer if cups are missing too often, because yes, that's how we track how many cups of coffee we sold. We can use those cups for other purposes, but we have to process them through the register as comped.

Previously it created extra paperwork that we had to fill out to document it. And if that sheet went missing, or you forgot to account for the money value assigned to the items on that sheet, you were going to be paying for those missing items out of your pocket.

I have asked for and received coffee in the DC in the afternoon because they knew I was in the sleeper. Also, by asking the SCA, I have always been able to get a bottle of water.
YMMV on this. I'm a tea drinker, and have had surly responses in the dining car when I've gone there from the sleeper to beg a cup of hot water.

Let's imagine that you have paid $500 or a lot more for your sleeper train ride, is having to pay a few $ for coffee or juice really such a blight on the experience?

Maybe an SCA can't stay awake for 48 hours... They may need to "be asleep then" between some station stops, to "be awake when folk detrain" ?

I find that "tipping" a bit of change when requesting hot water from the cafe car goes a long way towards my "nice cup of tea". :D

Ed.

Back