snacks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing is free in the Cafe is my experience.
True. This (dispensing unpaid items) would mess up their inventory control system. It's the same reason that snack bars and convenience stores charge for drink cups (it's how they account for product sold).
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I've never heard of a snack bar counting cups.
And if Amtrak does count cups, they have a way to mark "Free" or "Water" because you can always ask the Cafe attendant for a cup of hot water or a cup of ice.
You've shown once again that you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. 10oz coffee cups are non-revenue and uncounted. 12oz cups however ARE revenue, and may have to answer if cups are missing too often, because yes, that's how we track how many cups of coffee we sold. We can use those cups for other purposes, but we have to process them through the register as comped.
Previously it created extra paperwork that we had to fill out to document it. And if that sheet went missing, or you forgot to account for the money value assigned to the items on that sheet, you were going to be paying for those missing items out of your pocket.
I deserve the snarky reply for my snarky reply I'll admit. :)
But I was correct wasn't I? I said if Amtrak does count cups they have a way to mark them free for ice or hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but for those who believe counting cups is odd, the Sacramento bar where I had my wedding reception years ago used to weigh their booze bottles at each shift change to discourage "overpouring" by the bartenders. I understood that if the bottle weights did not jive with their sales of the product, the staff had to make up the difference out of their pay!
That is interesting...I hadn’t heard of that method before. I’m always a little gratified when I visit a bar that has a point-of-sale [POS] system in place, where each order is correctly entered into the register thus tallying up the amount of individual ingredients sold. (In many cases that’s combined with an automatic dispensing system for common liquors and measuring stoppers for ‘top shelf’ items.) Bars are one of the biggest money pits in the business world; if they aren’t used for masking income, then they are used for draining money from their owners (sometimes on purpose, but often not). One establishment of my acquaintance was infamous for having cocktail servers who would ‘forget’ to return change from an order and who would forge the tip line amount on card receipts. I later found out that both the owner and many of his employees (whom he associated with off-duty) had a nasty drug habit which had to be financed somehow.

Let's imagine that you have paid $500 or a lot more for your sleeper train ride, is having to pay a few $ for coffee or juice really such a blight on the experience?
Yes, it genuinely bothers me to be nickeled and dimed on basic amenities after handing over $500+ one way. Is that really so surprising?

I find that "tipping" a bit of change when requesting hot water from the cafe car goes a long way towards my "nice cup of tea".
If you're tipping prior to receiving a service or product then you're not really tipping at all. Although I do not doubt that casually bribing the cafe attendant probably works wonders for basic requests.

The Sacramento bar where I had my wedding reception years ago used to weigh their booze bottles at each shift change to discourage "overpouring" by the bartenders.
&

...In many cases that’s combined with an automatic dispensing system for common liquors...
Hopefully those penny pinching nanny bars are paying a great standard wage because measuring shots is the fastest and easiest way to ensure your bartenders will suffer perpetually slim tipping. Must be nice to work as some distant faceless bean counter casually altering the terms of the social contract without having to suffer any of the consequences when the contract rebalances itself. I can understand carefully measuring a twenty year single malt or thirty year blend that runs $45 a shot, but auto-dispensing generic dirt cheap cocktail brands like Bacardi and Beam is just plain insulting.

Right on, RSG and DA. Fortunatly I've not encountered such practises yet here in the Denver area despite knowing a number of tightwad tavern owners who might certainly embrace such ideas had they witnessed what I did in CA. So far they only have the ball-bearing spouts on their upper-shelved bottles to govern the liquor pours. (and the cameras, of course, which would have been very expensive to install in SAC back in the eighties.)

Bean counters could care less how their rules are looked upon, only that the rules are followed. Customer satisfaction isn't something the bean counters concern themselves with. I experienced many crazy rules from the bean counters that were suppose to improve the bottom line, cutting costs. Are they interested in customer retention, employee retention, overall satisfaction? Not until a senior manager steps in to say STOP. Until then, Bean Counters rule.

Which is why a good executive leader / manager will keep a good Ballance and not let bean counters rule. Smart investors will realize that customer satisfaction and employee retention in the long term is better to have than short term savings by cost cutting measures and over the top inventory control.

Let's imagine that you have paid $500 or a lot more for your sleeper train ride, is having to pay a few $ for coffee or juice really such a blight on the experience?

Maybe an SCA can't stay awake for 48 hours... They may need to "be asleep then" between some station stops, to "be awake when folk detrain" ?

I find that "tipping" a bit of change when requesting hot water from the cafe car goes a long way towards my "nice cup of tea". :D

Ed.
I think if you are paying that much, you should get a few amenities to go with it. I paid $161 for a roomette from Chicago to WAS, I did get a really good deal, but still, even some hotels provide you a free breakfast. Granted breakfast is included, but on the CL and the SM looks like we will be missing dinner, so we will only get one free meal. So getting coffee or water for free when you want should be included.

I have asked for and received coffee in the DC in the afternoon because they knew I was in the sleeper. Also, by asking the SCA, I have always been able to get a bottle of water.
YMMV on this. I'm a tea drinker, and have had surly responses in the dining car when I've gone there from the sleeper to beg a cup of hot water.
All my LD journeys I have a thermos and had them fill it when I go for breakfast and dinner, when the DCA comes back with it, I tip them, that way I always get my hot water. The only time there was no coffee or juice available, and I had issues getting a bottle of wate3r was between Seattle and LA, I refer to this SCA as Houdini, he managed to escape his duties to the point where the whole car was making up their own bunks.

Haven't been in a sleeper for a very long time... do they still put those chocolate mints on your pillow at bedtime? :)

You do realize dinner is served on tr 30 departing Chi and dinner is served on tr 97 departing Was.....
Yeah I know, but it is awfully late for us to eat. I'm usually asleep by 9. LOL, Actually I read that dinner was available on CL out of CHI, but with the SM departing at 7:24 pm out of WAS, I didn't know if dinner would be served that late.

You do realize dinner is served on tr 30 departing Chi and dinner is served on tr 97 departing Was.....
Yeah I know, but it is awfully late for us to eat. I'm usually asleep by 9. LOL, Actually I read that dinner was available on CL out of CHI, but with the SM departing at 7:24 pm out of WAS, I didn't know if dinner would be served that late.
You can make your dinner rez for the CL at the Metropolitan Lounge desk when you check in there (or at least you used to be able to). You should be able to get a rez for before 7 if you get to the lounge before a lot of others.

You can make your dinner rez for the CL at the Metropolitan Lounge desk when you check in there (or at least you used to be able to). You should be able to get a rez for before 7 if you get to the lounge before a lot of others.
ok, thanks for the tip

Just keep in mind that when you cross into Indiana you go into the Eastern Time Zone but the Diner will serve Dinner on Central Time. (ie, if you have a 7PM Rez it will be 8PM in Indiana.)
Just to be a technical PITA, the time zone change in northwestern Indiana is the county line between Laporte and St. Joseph Counties - about 70 miles or so east of the Illinois - Indiana state line.

to get off course a bit, as long as we a talking time zone, will a smartphone automatically adjust to time zone change?

to get off course a bit, as long as we a talking time zone, will a smartphone automatically adjust to time zone change?
Yep, long as you have service!
Hmm, not necessarily, but most likely. My phone did not change time zones when I took the LSL to Chicago a few years ago. My tech support (family member) advised me to put it into then out of airplane mode. Or to reboot. Or both, I think. I think the airplane mode solution was what I did first and it worked. After that, it did change for the rest of the timezones I passed through.

my phone is already off airplane mode, in fact I never have it on airplane mode, and I have automatic time zone turned on, so hopefully it will change times, so I can sync my fitbit, since that is the only watch I wear.

my phone is already off airplane mode, in fact I never have it on airplane mode, and I have automatic time zone turned on, so hopefully it will change times, so I can sync my fitbit, since that is the only watch I wear.
Mine is always off airplane mode too, but I needed to turn it on and turn it off to get mine to sync that time and then after that it sync on it's own each time I went into a new timezone. Just an idea if yours does not sync when you change timezones.

Yep, long as you have service!
Hmm, not necessarily, but most likely. My phone did not change time zones when I took the LSL to Chicago a few years ago. My tech support (family member) advised me to put it into then out of airplane mode. Or to reboot. Or both, I think. I think the airplane mode solution was what I did first and it worked. After that, it did change for the rest of the timezones I passed through.
It can actually depend on several factors; who your carrier is, what your device is, and what the operating system is. I usually travel with two connected devices, same carrier [Verizon], and one will update relatively quickly and the other takes up to an hour longer (and it sometimes varies between devices).

It can also be more complicated if you’re using a reseller carrier (TracFone/StraightTalk, Virgin Mobile, et al). Sometimes the signal transfer can delay the time synchronization. The Airplane Mode off/on is indeed the quickest way to wake up/reset sluggish connections (and autocorrect any time deficiencies).

If you have data service and want to determine what time it is, the most helpful page I have come across to find that out is <http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl>.It’s a snapshot of the current time in all US time zones + Coordinated Universal Time [GMT]. I use it when on the train to verify the time on my devices and during the biannual time change when there are multiple clocks & such, some of which auto reset and some of which don’t.

Back