Sneaking in to Parlor Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Wifi on the Coast Starlight.

Please just pay the $10 for the visit to the lounge. I'll mail you a ten-er if you really can't afford it.

Enjoy your trip.

If the passenger doesn't "take away" from a paying passenger, then "no harm, no foul" in my mind. Maybe my mind is a little warped from the 60's and 70's time period I grew up in.
You've got to realize that when you are the shady side of the "law" or the "rules" the person in that position is taking risks, and they need to be prepared to pay, whatever costs, if "caught".

I teach my kids to follow the rules and obey the law. But also teach them to challenge and question. "Do Not Enter" does not really mean "Do Not Enter". It means "if" you do enter, and do get caught, you better be ready to pay. But more than that, THINK about why the sign says "Do Not Enter" and the REASON they have that sign there, (safety, security, etc.,) before you just willy-nilly "enter"...........
Good for you! My parents taught me the same. Trespassing is an art form.

That's good to know.

I've become increasingly annoyed with freeloaders. Especially those louts that think it's OK to sleep on the floor of the lounge car in the middle of the night because they say they can't sleep in their coach seats. They seem incapable of dealing with the circumstances of their life without imposing on the space of others. <_<

I don't want to hijack this thread but the comment about Coach passengers sleeping in the lounge car reminded me of our trip on the Empire Builder. There was a large group of us who were traveling together and we all had sleepers.

After everyone had cleared out of the Sightseer Lounge we met there to play cards one night.

Seems there was a man from coach who was in there to sleep. We did not even notice him at first. We were the only other people in there and we were not being overly loud but were laughing and having a good time. This man kept raising up and giving us dirty looks and grunts as if to say "Hey I'm trying to sleep here so quiet down."

We never saw a Amtrak employee in there.

I just thought it was funny because he should not of been in there to sleep or at least should not expect the lounge to be totally quiet.

We did try to be extra quiet when we had to go through the coach cars to get to our sleeper car when people were sleeping in coach.

If you want to use First Class Amenities then pay for them. It is unfair to those who do pay for First Class to have Coach passengers use or get the First Class extras for free. In my opinion!
First, I agree fully with you.

However, I find it almost hypocritical in reading this thread, since we had a very similar debate here a while ago, and the almost universal opinion was the if a coach ticketed passenger knew someone in the sleepers, they have every right to "visit" and make use of sleeper class amenities (showering, sleeping, eating, etc). Basically, a sleeper passenger can "share" their amenities with whomever they pleased.

This statement just shows that you break rules for the thrill of it, and because you believe you're above everybody else. It's definitely NOT that you can't afford it. It is people like you that cause more rules to be made, and those rules to be enforced impacting everybody's freedoms. And why? Because you get your kicks off of it. It's disgusting, and it is classified as neurotic behavior. (See Winona Ryder).

Frankly, I hope the attendant on duty is on the ball that day and kicks your ass back to coach where you belong.

I pay good money to upgrade to sleeper every time I ride Amtrak and so do other people. The less *trash* people that ride the train, the more respectable a mode of transportation it will become and desirable to more people. So it behooves Amtrak to enforce its rules, clean up it's image and keep people from shacking in the lounge and sneaking into first class. Just try this on an airline sometime and see how far you get.

Pay your $10 and enjoy the PPC for an hour or two. Pay whatever and upgrade to sleeper. But if I catch you, I'll request you get put off the train.

*shakes head*

Basically, a sleeper passenger can "share" their amenities with whomever they pleased.
While that is very true (for the most part), I don't think that using the shower, getting coffee while walking thru or sleeping in the room that you are not named to the reservation is included in "sharing"! :rolleyes:

Visiting someone in the sleeper may be OK, but I personally say that staying in the room from 8 PM to 10 AM would not be - unless your name is on the reservation! And if you actually did know someone in the sleeper, and you were in coach and you were traveling together, I don't see why it wouldn't be. You both pay coach fare separately, then the accommodation fare for the room is the same for 1 or 2. Thus, there would be no additional cost.

And if you were questioned, you may say, "I'm waiting for my friend who's in room 6". And if they ask, "What is their name" and you answer "A-a-a-a, I'm not sure", I think they may question you a little more.

But to the OP, I would suggest (if that's all you can afford) buy a wine tasting ticket. That way you can legally be in the PPC for a hour or so. But I might also suggest that you consider getting a roomette - even for a daytime trip! That way you can be in the PPC for hours (you don't have to be in your room all the time), plus your 1-3 meals will be included in the cost! (And if you chose - even in the PPC! :cool: )

On my many trips on the CS, there were MANY rooms sold between (say) LAX and OKJ only - and that is only daytime!

Hi everyone,
Haha, should have known this would be a topic to incite much debate.

I'm a solo traveler, and moreover a poverty-stricken one, so actually going first class isn't really an option for a non-overnight trip. But thank you for the info about the wine tasting!

I'll let y'all know if I succeed in my trespassing - or if I get keel-hauled into the Pacific.

-Liz-

Oh also! Is there wifi on the train?
Now that I have learned some more about you, I have another suggestion for you.

Since you profess to be "poverty-stricken", I think you would be much happier if you would travel on MegaBus or the like. Maybe you can score a dollar fare. And get free wifi.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,
Haha, should have known this would be a topic to incite much debate.

I'm a solo traveler, and moreover a poverty-stricken one, so actually going first class isn't really an option for a non-overnight trip. But thank you for the info about the wine tasting!

I'll let y'all know if I succeed in my trespassing - or if I get keel-hauled into the Pacific.

-Liz-

Then pay for a coach ticket and stay out of the parlor car. If you didn't pay for it, you have absolutely no business in there.

The best views are between Oxnard and San Luis Obispo as the CS runs along the coast. If possible, get a seat on the left side of the train for this part of the route. The next interesting part is just after San Luis Obispo as the train passes over Cuesta Pass. The best views are on the right side. The wine tasting usually occurs as the train leaves San Luis Obispo, and this would give you an opportunity to get the best of both worlds.

I hope you enjoy your trip, but please be respectful of those who did pay for the right to use the parlor car.

I have to agree with railiner - how can you be so "poverty-stricken" yet inquire about wi-fi on the train? :huh: Yes, I am cheap :p but provided a choice between spending a few dollars on a roomette (to include the PPC and up to 3 meals for a day) or on wi-fi (if it were to be available), I myself would not chose the computer. I myself only took mine with me on my last trip because I needed it during my 4 week stay.

You better hope you have a good personality. I would say your odds of getting through the dining car are 20% the LSA will wonder how someone in the sleepers already visited coach, and walked through without being seen the first time. Unless you are a motivational speaker the LSA has most likely heard them all, and won't let you through. I've never been in a PPC so I have no idea if that attendant will see you come in.

Not to mention how many people that will read this later and now be inspired to try and sneak in...

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time we rode the CS I got turned around & ended up in the transdorm-an employee noticed me & asked "may I help you?" I explained I was heading to the PPC, she directed me back the other way.

I have noticed the dining staff & PPC staff are usually paying pretty close attention. They observe which direction you come from on the train. You would have to go from coach, thru the diner then to the PPC-all without being noticed.

I still say do the tasting if you're old enough.

They will send you back to coach-but if you keep trying, they could kick you off the train.

Hello everyone,
I will be taking my first trip on the Coast Starlight next Monday, LA to SF. I have no desire to get a room or roomette, since it's a daytime trip and I'm not interested in isolating myself. But I would really like to experience hanging out in the PPC, since it sounds so nice!

So... how difficult is it for a coach passenger to go hang out on the PPC? Do they check tickets at the entrance? Or could I just lay low and be fine? Obviously I wouldn't attempt to eat any meals there or otherwise swipe amenities other than a book or two from the library, and as I'm traveling on a Monday I imagine it will be pretty empty...

Thanks!

-Liz-
Are you beginning to get the idea?

As a coach passenger, you aren't welcome as a passenger in the PPC, by either Amtrak, or the sleeper passengers.

Come on in and join us for the wine tasting, for your $10. After that, go back to your car.

I dislike freeloaders.

Now that Amtrak is aware poachers may try to infiltrate the sacred grounds of the PPC, they are likely to post a colourfully dressed Guard bearing a Halberd on the Diner side entrance :eek:

I am truly shocked at the responses. "Take the bus", "you'll get thrown off the train", "I dislike freeloaders". I guess we are all perfect, and want our trip to be "perfect" and dislike anyone who attempts to intrude upon that.

We all know what the "right" thing to do is. But not everyone lives by those rules. (thank God).

The OP are correct in stating that the crews are pretty damned good at somehow "knowing" who is in a sleeper, and who is not.

And if you happen to sit next to me, and I find out that you "snuck in", then a fist-bump to ya! (as long as you aren't taking up a seat that "I" want........hahahaha

This forum is just like the real world, made up of all kinds of people. If we all thought the same, what a bore that would be.

Look at it this way. What's the WORST that could happen to you? I mean THE WORST. Ummm, the attendant would ask you to return to coach. Hey, if ya need the $10 for the wine tasting, email me. I'll gladly send it to ya.....

The PPC is for Sleeping Car Passengers ONLY-except during wine tastings. So, folllowing this point, Sleeping Car Passengers are paying for the use of the PPC. Just like they are paying for their meals with the bedroom/roomette price. I have noticed that usually the low bucket for the CS bedrooms seem to be higher than say, the CZ.
So, then do you think it's ok on a plane to sneak from coach to first class, because it's "no harm, no foul"? Actually yes, but it doesn't work on a plane.

So if I want to 'light up' on a train to see if I can get away with it, you'd be ok with that? Again, yes. But If I catch you, I will tell you that you can't smoke on a train, and if you don't put it out, I'm gonna call the *****.

Or if I want to wander downstairs in the diner to check out the kitchen? How about the Transdorm or the Loco? Been in all three, and met some nice people, and have been asked to leave too.........

Just wondering...

I don't think the staff would appreciate me testing the limits like that. Remember, I'm the idiot who used to go to the baggage car after we served the last passenger in the diner, throw a couple of sacks of mail together to make a chair, and open the baggage door all the way open... (and untwist the light bulbs too, so if the conductor did enter, I'd have a second or two to hide.......) It was the original "Big Screen Theatre"....... and YES, I made sure to re-twist the light bulbs back B4 I left. "There's something about the smell of brake shoes as the train descends the Rockies late at night......."

Do not Enter does not really mean "Do Not Enter"?

It means 'you may get in trouble'? Think about why the sign is there? How about just don't go in there, you aren't supposed to be there!

I agree with you, I think being raised in 60s-70s may have slightly warped you. :) A lot of us were warped then & still are! :) This is not meant as a personal attack or insult, so please don't take it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some folks think that rules should be followed and others don't. Kinda nice to know who is who.

Some folks think that rules should be followed and others don't. Kinda nice to know who is who.
I wish I'd said that! ;)
And then there are those that believe rules are for everyone else, but not them.

Aloha

I use the word "Aloha" because I like its multiple meanings, centered around caring for for those around us.
.........And our country was founded by....Patriots who followed the "rules".....

Anyway, you guys are all right. Follow the rules. Toe the line. And WHATever you do, don't draw outside the lines.............

Brand me a miscreant, anarchist, dissenter, malcontent, voting Republican. (Hey! No politics here, it's against the rules!) I'll just crawl back into my box now....

I wish I'd said that! ;)
And then there are those that believe rules are for everyone else, but not them.

Aloha

I use the word "Aloha" because I like its multiple meanings, centered around caring for for those around us.
.........And our country was founded by....Patriots who followed the "rules".....

Anyway, you guys are all right. Follow the rules. Toe the line. And WHATever you do, don't draw outside the lines.............

Brand me a miscreant, anarchist, dissenter, malcontent, voting Republican. (Hey! No politics here, it's against the rules!) I'll just crawl back into my box now....
Take it easy dude.

Last edited:
I have to agree with railiner - how can you be so "poverty-stricken" yet inquire about wi-fi on the train? :huh:
MY EXACT THOUGHTS!!! I didn't even know one could use those two terms in the same sentence. Folks I see in my neck of the woods who would truly fit the term "poverty-stricken" would not be able to afford the computer. I make a reasonable wage, and certainly couldn't swing anything more than the most basic of Netbooks.

I'm one of those who doesn't really like the us/them concept of segregated lounge facilities for Sleeper folks, even though when travelling on LD trains, I usually will save up to upgrade to Sleeper (usually at lowest bucket with a friend, so the cost is only marginally above that of the included meals) so as to get better sleep and a shower. I even lounged in the PPC on an Emeryville to Portland trip last year and found it to be a very nice spot to enjoy the scenery. Had it not been there, I'd have been fine with simply riding in the Sightseer as I do on other trains.

I don't go around thinking I'm better than coach folks because I'm in a Sleeper, but your attempt to "get a comp upgrade" of sorts leads me to think that you do think yourself better than your fellow Coach riders. Personally, the attempt irritates me, but perhaps that's the double Libra in me that respects rules and civility.

I wish I'd said that! ;)

Aloha

Yes, they followed the 'rules'. They appealed to the King repeatedly with their complaints and were ignored until finally, they declared their Independence. But even when the colonies did that many of them hoped to fix the situation and remain part of Britain.

I was actually thinking Democrat (no insult intended) rather than Republican.

Just about every Democrat I know tries to get around the rules, and feel the rules do not apply to them.

Especially if they get caught.

The point of this whole discussion is, should you have access to something you have not paid for.

The answer for most should be no.

If someone chooses to access or take advantage of something they have not paid for, then to me, it's the same as stealing.

The PPC is an amenity for those who have paid more to be in a sleeper, which includes other amenities-free coffee, juice, morning paper, water, access to a shower.

So all the people who have paid extra for these amenities should be ok with people coming in from elsewhere and helping themselves?

Or, what if it's open to all? Then I would expect the sleeper prices to drop & coach to go up, because it's an amenity to all!

On the trains that have first class or business class, should people from coach go in there too?

If Amtrak chooses to expand access to the PPC for those is coach, great. But, except for the wine tasting, that is not the case.

When we rode the CS, the PPC was great-because I liked the decor, and the old time 'feel' of the car. It was also good for hubby. He enjoyed it more than the Sightseer Car & spent more time out of the sleeper because of it.

He has said to me if the CZ had a Parlor Car, we would be on it alot more often. That's quite a compliment coming from him.

And no, I would not 'light up' on the train. If I'm on the train, we saved to go & it's a special occasion-I would not risk getting kicked off..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back