Snow NEC 1/2/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak has posted a "Service Alert" for service on the NEC, etc. with the upcoming storm.

Amtrak to Operate Modified Snow Schedule on Friday, Jan. 3
Reduced schedule to minimize impact on travelers{C}

January 2, 2014
3:50pm ET

Due to the winter storm forecast to impact the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak will operate a modified snow schedule on Friday, Jan. 3, 2014.

Acela Express and Northeast Regional service will operate between Boston and Washington. Passengers should expect reduced frequencies, particularly in New England.

Corridor services, including the Keystone Service (New York – Harrisburg, Pa.), Empire Service (New York – Albany, N.Y.), Amtrak Downeaster (Brunswick, Maine – Boston) and most of the Springfield Shuttle (New Haven, Ct. – Springfield, Mass.), are not affected and are expected to operate a normal schedule.

Passengers holding reservations that require modification are being accommodated on other trains and proactively notified by Amtrak Customer Service. A range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps and 1-800-USA-RAIL – are available to assist in travel planning.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

There is also this under "News Releases"

AMTRAK PREPARING FOR WINTER STORM

Forces deploying throughout Northeast Corridor

WASHINGTON – Amtrak forces up and down the Northeast Corridor are making preparations for potential impacts from the pending winter storm. With extreme conditions expected in some areas over the next 24-36 hours, crews are actively monitoring the latest forecasts to make informed decisions about service levels. Amtrak is currently operating a regular Thursday schedule and announcements about any schedule changes, if needed, will be made as soon as that information becomes available.

Following is a summary of major preparation activities already underway:

Severe Weather Command Center Activated – Amtrak’s multi-departmental Severe Weather Command Center has been activated at the Consolidated National Operations Center in Wilmington, Delaware. From this facility, a task force is monitoring the latest weather conditions, assessing the state of the railroad and related infrastructure in real-time and coordinating any necessary response. The Command Center will remain active until the immediate threat of any disruption has passed and any service disruption is resolved.

Equipment Positioning – To more quickly respond to potential problems, diesel locomotives and on-track maintenance equipment are strategically positioned along the Northeast Corridor. Should downed trees or limbs disable the overhead electrical system, diesel power can help move trains when it is safe to do so, and on-track equipment can be dispatched to make any necessary infrastructure repairs.

Tree Trimming Crews – To supplement standard coverage, independent contractors are on standby to quickly respond to reports of trees or limbs down along the right-of-way, which could damage the overhead electrical system or prevent safe passage of trains. Amtrak engages in a regular year-round tree trimming program to proactively minimize such impacts.

Additional Staffing – Mechanical, engineering and operations forces are mobilizing additional crews to ensure safe and efficient operation of the railroad. Additional on-board staff are pre-positioned to respond should a re-crewing need arise.

Passengers with travel plans for Thursday evening and Friday are encouraged to plan ahead and make any necessary reservation changes in advance. A wide range of tools are available to assist with travel planning including Amtrak.com (including the interactive train tracker map), the Amtrak smartphone app (available for iPhone, Android & Windows phones) and 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Besides the Nor'Easter and heavy snow predicted for central New England, there is a major artic air cold blast coming. The forecast calls for overnight low of -5 F for NYC and Boston, I see a -7 F for New Haven. That is air temperature, not wind chill. The switches, catenary, electric power substations, and electric locomotives are going to be stressed with the cold and temperature swings.

OTOH, this could offer an opportunity to do test runs with the ACS-64s in real world cold temperatures and blowing snow if they are inclined to give it a go.

Seems like we in the Northeast have had plenty of snow so far this year!

Good to remember, Amtrak often, if not usually, gets through when auto and air travel are impossible. Stay warm, all.

While trains are still rolling freely, WNBC just showed hundreds of people already stranded at LaGuardia and the storm hasn't even begun!

Not so awful in Boston yet (although it is really, really cold). But it is supposed to get a good deal worse overnight. The joys of living in New England!

While trains are still rolling freely, WNBC just showed hundreds of people already stranded at LaGuardia and the storm hasn't even begun!
Probably because of flights from other hard hit areas not making it to LaGuardia. I think I heard Philly is already experiencing delays too.

I don't like overnight "big" storms because I'm one who will go out multiple times to shovel...if it's in the daytime.

Alan, how quickly can you get here to shovel for me. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As I look at things, I see 5 trains cancelled between NY & Boston; 3 Acela Express and 2 Regionals. And I see the same number of cancellations in the Boston to NYP direction, again 3 Acela & 2 Regionals.

Going Washington to NYP there are 10 trains marked cancelled, only 1 of which is a Regional. It's the 4 AM Regional that's been pulled. But 9 Acela's are gone from the schedule, with the first northbound being the 7 AM. Only 7 Acela's are expected to run all day.

NYP to WAS, again like the Boston side, equal corresponding numbers are cancelled; 1 Regional and 9 Acela's.

I wonder if all the Acela's are cancelled because Amtrak doesn't expect the business travelers to come out tomorrow or if it's that they're worried about their performance and/or safety in the snow?

As I look at things, I see 5 trains cancelled between NY & Boston; 3 Acela Express and 2 Regionals. And I see the same number of cancellations in the Boston to NYP direction, again 3 Acela & 2 Regionals.

Going Washington to NYP there are 10 trains marked cancelled, only 1 of which is a Regional. It's the 4 AM Regional that's been pulled. But 9 Acela's are gone from the schedule, with the first northbound being the 7 AM. Only 7 Acela's are expected to run all day.

NYP to WAS, again like the Boston side, equal corresponding numbers are cancelled; 1 Regional and 9 Acela's.

I wonder if all the Acela's are cancelled because Amtrak doesn't expect the business travelers to come out tomorrow or if it's that they're worried about their performance and/or safety in the snow?
Remember that when it Snows Heavily in Washington (Rare) the Government Basically Shuts Down, and When the Bridges Freeze Up ,and Washington has No Snow Removal to Speak of, the Government Employees take "Snow Days!" Wonder if 60 Mass People will Show Up for Work?? :lol:

from someone not real familiar with the NEC, is there a performance difference between the electric and diesel locomotives in extreme cold?

from someone not real familiar with the NEC, is there a performance difference between the electric and diesel locomotives in extreme cold?
Not sure if there is a difference in performance, but the bitter cold does affect the overhead catenary making the wires very taught and more brittle.

Of course too intense of cold and one finds that the diesel fuel will start to turn to jelly preventing the operation of the diesel locomotive. We're not going down that low, at least here in the NE, so no worries on that front.

Electrics are vulnerable to conditions on either the Third Rail or the Wire and heavy snow or ice can cover those, killing the needed contact. Also if the Wire is heavy with ice it can come down easier in the high wind.

This stuff never affected the New Haven or Pennsylvania railroads. What's wrong with Amtrak?
It affected them, you just didn't hear about it as much. Especially since back then no one had cell phones to text their frustration at being stuck on a train for 3 hours. And you didn't have to worry as much either about getting sued because you left someone sitting on a train for an extra 2 hours in a major snow storm.

Back then people were a bit more patient and understanding; now it seems like even a 10 minute delay is a cardinal sin. And it doesn't matter if we're talking about Amtrak, trains in general, planes, or buses. We seem to expect instant gratification these days and delays don't fit into that picture.

This stuff never affected the New Haven or Pennsylvania railroads. What's wrong with Amtrak?
It affected them, you just didn't hear about it as much. Especially since back then no one had cell phones to text their frustration at being stuck on a train for 3 hours. And you didn't have to worry as much either about getting sued because you left someone sitting on a train for an extra 2 hours in a major snow storm.

Back then people were a bit more patient and understanding; now it seems like even a 10 minute delay is a cardinal sin. And it doesn't matter if we're talking about Amtrak, trains in general, planes, or buses. We seem to expect instant gratification these days and delays don't fit into that picture.
Well said Alan! ;)

And the New Haven even did it with steam locomotives as did the Pennsy untl the 1930's and all the cars were steam heated.

No Henry, the New Haven didn't always do it. I'm afraid that you're just being romantic about how good things were so many years ago. Here is just one example that I found with just a few minutes of searching:

In New York, neither rail nor road transport was possible anywhere for days,[6] and drifts across the New York–New Haven rail line at Westport, Connecticut took eight days to clear; transportation gridlock as a result of the storm was partially responsible for the creation of the first underground subway system in the United States, which opened nine years later in Boston.
Think about that, 8 days with NO trains!

Quote from this report.

And there are other examples of where the RR's failed due to the conditions.

The other element, are the Acelas and HHP8s. These machines don't get along with thw fine powder that flies into nooks and crannies rain dropplets don't fly to, then it turns to water and refreezes back to ice. Additonally, what I believe is a dirty little secret about another Acela problem is that the tilt machines are vulnerable to malfunction during snowstorms. As a consequence, their speed limits drop to the same as Amfleets.

Additonally, what I believe is a dirty little secret about another Acela problem is that the tilt machines are vulnerable to malfunction during snowstorms. As a consequence, their speed limits drop to the same as Amfleets.
Actually without the tilt activated the HST's can still go unto 150 MPH and also take curves faster. Just not as fast as with the tilt active. That information is found in an Employee TT. Which I have almost every copy of.

The other element, are the Acelas and HHP8s. These machines don't get along with thw fine powder that flies into nooks and crannies rain dropplets don't fly to, then it turns to water and refreezes back to ice. Additonally, what I believe is a dirty little secret about another Acela problem is that the tilt machines are vulnerable to malfunction during snowstorms. As a consequence, their speed limits drop to the same as Amfleets.
GG1's of the PRR also did not work and play well with dry, powdery snow. A snow storm in 1958 disabled virtually every one of the PRR's GG1's and crippled rail travel between New York and Washington for days.

GG1's of the PRR also did not work and play well with dry, powdery snow. A snow storm in 1958 disabled virtually every one of the PRR's GG1's and crippled rail travel between New York and Washington for days.
One of the reasons G's got new intake grills. Cold will improve the horsepower of an electric motor (somewhat) but water will kill a motor almost instantly.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back