Snow on tracks?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
how does amtrak either keep the snow off tracks or gets it off tracks after a significant snowfall?

Snow has to get really deep before it becomes a problem with trains. Even a couple of feet will just get pushed aside by the train's movement. Snow and ice that foul switches and prevent the mechanism from operating properly is kept under control by the use of heaters that melt it in the critical areas.

Railroads that operate in areas that get lots of snow, like the Sierra Nevada's in California, have specialized equipment for snow removal. Generally, they use a device called a "spreader" - a long, articulated snow plow that pushes snow not just off the track but way off the track area. That is the best solution as it makes future removal operations easier by getting the snow way out of the way. If things get really bad and the spreaders will not do the job, they have to use rotary plows. Rotaries are like giant snow blowers on rails. Rotaries are rarely used, maybe once every five years or so. Rotaries can cut through really deep snow (10, 15 feet or more). The problem with rotaries is that it makes a little snow canyon barely wider than a train. Once you do that, future snow easily collects in that area, and the spreaders will not work with no place to spread. Once an area is surrendered to the rotaries, it is stuck with using rotaries until the snow melts. Rail fans love rotaries. Railroads hate to use them.

I've seen YouTube videos of the Southwest Chief plowing snow off the tracks.

ah ok good cuz i have a trip planned for monday PVD to NYP
Don't worry about it. Their are enough trains on the NEC that tracks will be cleared. Sunday is going to be warm and Monday it'll rain so most of the fouling snow will be gone. Either way switch heaters keep the switches from freezing. Nothing to worry about at all. Maybe just a minor delay.

so just wanted to confirm some of the replies i got.. 4" to 6" of snow shouldn't stop the acela from running to from NYC from PVD

ah ok good cuz i have a trip planned for monday PVD to NYP
Don't worry about it. Their are enough trains on the NEC that tracks will be cleared. Sunday is going to be warm and Monday it'll rain so most of the fouling snow will be gone. Either way switch heaters keep the switches from freezing. Nothing to worry about at all. Maybe just a minor delay.

ok thanks :) ))

And it's not just the snow that Acelas get cancelled. Since many business travelers take AE, if the businesses get closed, Amtrak is more likely to cancel AE and other regionals due to a lower load factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a former township employee involved in snow removal in drifty Western Illinois, you not only have to get the snow off the road but you have to have a place to plow the next snowfall. That's why you use "spreaders" to clear the area outside where you are plowing. You will notice that after a heavy snowfall they come back and plow to the edges of the berm.

Preciously i describe a trip over Donner Pass in February with 15 feet, and seeing the parked rotary plows,,,, pretty awesome

so just wanted to confirm some of the replies i got.. 4" to 6" of snow shouldn't stop the acela from running to from NYC from PVD
Depends on the type of snow.. Acela sets don't do very well with powered snow. Same with HHP's and AEM-7's. My guess is that some Acela's will be annulled. If not all of them.
ughhhh!!!!

And it's not just the snow that Acelas get cancelled. Since many business travelers take AE, if the businesses get closed, Amtrak is more likely to cancel AE and other regionals due to a lower load factor.
double ugh with a cherry on top lol.. i guess we will see monday.. forecast looks to be we get the snow monday afternoon

For serious snow, most railroads use a "wedge plow". They're quite impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_plow

Rotaries are only used for extremely heavy snow, because the wedge plows can handle a hell of a lot.

Most snow isn't even heavy enough for the railroads to bother pulling out the wedge plows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back