Some good news Mead is gone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_flyer

Train Attendant
from utu.org

U.S. DOT Inspector General Mead resigns

WASHINGTON -- Kenneth Mead's office said the U.S. Transportation Department inspector general resigned on Monday (Jan. 23) after nearly nine years on the job, according to this Reuters report.

The last half of his tenure was the most tumultuous in U.S. transportation history as the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, attacks fundamentally altered commercial aviation and federal policy toward the industry.

The changes elevated his position and prompted investigations into finances, safety, and aviation security.

Mead's staff worked independently of Transportation Department policymakers. They probed financially struggling airlines and more than once exposed weaknesses in federal aviation safety oversight.

Mead also directed aggressive investigations of the deteriorating financial prospects at Amtrak as well as wasteful spending and management practices of Boston's Big Dig highway and tunnel project and other major transportation contracts.

Mead's conclusions and testimony often carried weight with lawmakers in Congress, where he was respected by both Republicans and Democrats.

"The opportunities to see positive outcomes and results for the traveling public and taxpayer have been enormously satisfying," Mead wrote in his resignation letter to Bush.

Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta, whose department heads sometimes chafed at Mead's reports, said taxpayers are losing a fierce ally.

"Ken has been a tireless advocate for setting the highest possible standards of integrity, accountability and performance," Mineta said in a statement.

Mead was appointed in 1997 by then-President Bill Clinton.

(The preceding Reuters report was filed on Monday, Jan. 23, 2006.)

I doubt McCain would leave his post in the Senate take any position except President or Vice-president. I actually hope Mineta stays on, I dont think anyone in Congress has that much confidence in him, which may work in Amtraks favor.

AmtrakFan said:
This is very bad news but in some good news it is rumored Marionetta might be joining Mead on the Unemplyoement line but it is rumored McCain might get the DOT Job if he does Amtrak is Screwed. :angry:
There have been rumors of Mineta's impending departure since the middle of Bush's first term.

If we could recommend a replacement for DOT secretary Mineat, I would recommend Tommy Thompson. I would be inclined to say positive things about Ken Mead, as he simply went about shining the light into practices that Dave Gunn attempted to remedy as well, notably, Amtrak's cooking of its books. I regret that Mead didn't take Gunn's efforts into account when his office released its report last summer. I also regret that Mead didn't ake Amtrak to task enough for the cooking of its books in favor of certain corridors, and against the long distance train routes, and for why the Amtrak overhead is so high. Several long distance trains would make money, or at least come close to it, if it weren't for Amtrak's overhead costs.

I have commendations to Mr. Mead for exposing some of the shady finances that existed at several of the airlines as well. Don't condemn him - he's only the messenger.

I don't think this is necessarily good news for Amtrak.

The USA needs some brutally honest bookkeeping as far as transportation projects are concerned. Mead tried, and achieved a bit. What his replacement will do is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back