Station Identification

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLY

Train Attendant
Can anyone identify this station? (circa 1988)

station1.jpg

I'll take a stab - here are the hints that I can see.

No overhead, (not the NEC)

double track, (though this could be gone by now)

and what apear to be single level regional coaches, (so no LD train it seems)

as well as decidous trees that are out of season (Northern to Northeastern locale)

My guess is NILES, MI

I'll take a stab - here are the hints that I can see.
No overhead, (not the NEC)

double track, (though this could be gone by now)

and what apear to be single level regional coaches, (so no LD train it seems)

as well as decidous trees that are out of season (Northern to Northeastern locale)

My guess is NILES, MI

I searched Niles, MI Amtrak in google images and it looks like you're right.

Technically though, it could have been somewhere on the NEC since this was taken in 1988. The NEC north of New Haven, CT was not electrified I beleive until 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
Niles....thought I reconized it. looking at it; I'm pretty sure it is. is there a higher res version available? might help figure it out.

peter

Somewhere in the UK? I don´t think it looks like anything in North America.
Yep, definitely the UK, or the Republic of Ireland, because of the high level platform, and you can just see some ex British Rail station signage with the arrows) at the right of the picture.

I could be completely off here, but the white sign by the tracks in the very far distance seems to remind me of those that indicate the start and end of Radio Electronic Token Block lines, which would tie in nicely with the scenery in the background. I'd say it's somewhere in Scotland, possibly a termins of one of the highland lines, but I don't know where.

*j*

Any thoughts on this station?

CNV0000zzz.jpg
Somewhere in the UK? I don´t think it looks like anything in North America.
PheeeeeeeWWWW!

That was exhausting! I must have tried a couple dozen Google searches for this one.

About the only visual clues were:

Mid height platform (not US)

Architecture that looked a bit European.

Bumping post that looked European.

Bumping post itself that looked European.

What appeared to say MUSEUM the one sign overhanging the platform.

Since the station looked small, and seemed to be a terminus, I finally resorted to looking up a British Rail map, and Googling each of the branch line termini, until FINALLY I think I found it!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_of_Locha...railway_station

Photo in this link appears to be taken from the overpass in the background of Caravanman's image.

"WE NOW PAUSE FOR STATION IDENTIFICATION!"

"WE NOW PAUSE FOR STATION IDENTIFICATION!"
None needed, I think, since I managed to beat you to the correct answer (albeit by just six minutes !) :lol:

So allow me to roll again, and pitch this one to everyone:

station.jpg

Good luck ... not that you need it, this should be an easy one :)

*j* :blink:

PS... although I wasn't online quick enough to pitch with the answer for the first station, and although I've never been there, I remembered Niles, MI from this article, recording the last Amtrak/VIA 'International' service between Chicago and Toronto.

http://www.trainweb.com/travelogues/mattmelzer/2004d21a.html

Ok, my long-windedness and poor use of search terms early on got the best of me - you won that one James.

But I had no problem recognizing yours - The WINDSOR STATION lettering was easily visible, helping me to recognize it from one of my books as the old Windsor Station in Montreal.

Care to try your hand at this one?

NCLutherville3.jpg

I can't offer much help on identifying that one but once it is I have a new one lined up.

3650.jpg

For yours....something tells me its in the UK-area.

peter

Metropolitan station is Lutherville?

Well done on the Kyle of Lochalsh, just across the waters from the Isle of skye.

Ed B)

It's Kyle of Lochalsh in Northern Scotland :)
*j*
I think I remember seeing that station on Great Railway Journeys of the world...Michael Palin hosted it...in fact I think his mission on the episode was to purchase a Kyle of Lochlash sign.

Dan

I think you might be right about Michael Palin (my hero!), I bought a fridge magnet in the shape of the old style station sign, wonder what he got?

I have a mini trip report here if you care to view it: old man's rail tour

(there is a similar pic to the one James found, also!)

Ed B)

It could be the station for Hammond-Whiting Indiana, but the parking lot layout looks wrong and since it is mid-western that rules out the Buffalo-Depew station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back