Stepped-up security in Philadelphia (and the rest of the Northeast)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
Here's an article on the Amtrak "security surge" in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

a one-day "multi-force security surge" along the Northeast Corridor that includes "random passenger bag inspections at unannounced locations," according to the Transportation Security Administration.

The exercise, which aims to improve coordination among many law-enforcement and security agencies, will cover about 150 rail stations in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Here's an article on the Amtrak "security surge" in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.
a one-day "multi-force security surge" along the Northeast Corridor that includes "random passenger bag inspections at unannounced locations," according to the Transportation Security Administration.

The exercise, which aims to improve coordination among many law-enforcement and security agencies, will cover about 150 rail stations in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.
About time all you NE suspicious characters were given extra scrutiny so we out here in "flyover country" (on the train its called the praries/the plains and the desert! :lol: ) will feel safer!

The crack TSA will get to see if they do as good of a job in rail stations as they don in airports!(Get that belt off!Empty those pockets!You will follow orders,Mach Schnell!! :lol: ) This "joint" exercise (pun intended! :) )will no doubt speed up the time keeping of the Eastern trains alot! :rolleyes: (Wonder if Joe Biden will get singled out for special attention in WAS?)

Last edited by a moderator:

About time all you NE suspicious characters were given extra scrutiny so we out here in "flyover country" (on the train its called the praries/the plains and the desert! :lol: ) Its comforting to know that the crack TSA will do as good a job in the rail stations as they do in the airports!(Get those shoes off!You will empty your bags and you will stand @ attention!Mach schnell!)Wonder how late the NE trains will run during this "joint exercise"!(Pun intended! :lol: )
I particularly like how the date and locations of the "random ... inspections in unannounced locations" are announced in advance. The morning paper lets all of us terrorist northeasterners know when to take the day off :lol:

About time all you NE suspicious characters were given extra scrutiny so we out here in "flyover country" (on the train its called the praries/the plains and the desert! :lol: ) Its comforting to know that the crack TSA will do as good a job in the rail stations as they do in the airports!(Get those shoes off!You will empty your bags and you will stand @ attention!Mach schnell!)Wonder how late the NE trains will run during this "joint exercise"!(Pun intended! :lol: )
I particularly like how the date and locations of the "random ... inspections in unannounced locations" are announced in advance. The morning paper lets all of us terrorist northeasterners know when to take the day off :lol:
The same crew that wants "unimportant and unknown" facilities guarded by citizen vigilantes! :blink:

I'm really baffled by the anti-security folks here.

Fact is that we live in a dangerous world where bad people wish to do us harm. I'm as protective of my Constitutional rights as anyone (probably more so, as it's a major value of mine), but extra cops standing on the platform at the train station this morning didn't infringe on any of those rights.

I saw at least one police officer on each station platform of the Septa R2 on my way from Philly to Wilmington this morning. The woman behind me made a phone call about halfway through, asking the person on the other end to turn on the news to see if "anything had happened."

I told her, "Check today's date - and Friday's date" - and a look of realization came over her face.

The police presence didn't bother me a bit.

Fact is that we live in a dangerous world where bad people wish to do us harm. I'm as protective of my Constitutional rights as anyone (probably more so, as it's a major value of mine), but extra cops standing on the platform at the train station this morning didn't infringe on any of those rights.
Having a bunch of cops standing around on platforms wouldn't stop anybody who has the intent of committing a terrorist act and doesn't care if they live or die. What happens next week when the security "surge" is over?

While you *may* have a valid point (I disagree, but I'm not particually interested in starting an argument about the value of presence as a deterrent), what about the aspects of the drill that involved all of the local police departments, testing the interoperability and training on the interface between the Amtrak PD and all of the local cops? I can guarantee you that today was a valuable training opportunity that has left the first responders more prepared if they have to respond to an incident (terror or otherwise) involving Amtrak.

Having a bunch of cops standing around on platforms wouldn't stop anybody who has the intent of committing a terrorist act and doesn't care if they live or die. What happens next week when the security "surge" is over?
Yeah,lots of good the "security" did in Cancun today which is a major tourist International Airport!To each his own but Im worried about folks who say they have no problem with more and more increased security presence,as Harry Truman sort of said: if you want protection,get a dog!

Its ridiculous as others have said to have color code alerts,take off shoes and belts,put your cosmetics in baggies and go through two or three levels of security when,as the OP said, NOTHING is going to stop a fanatical terrorist from carrying out their perverted and crazy schemes!In all honesty, Amtrak cops are about as effective as Wal-Mart security guards<Ive never noticed them do much of anything except hang around and check IDs once in awhile!(and the dog will protect me from the travelers cats!LOL)

A year and a half ago TSA (yes TSA, not Amtrak or local police) invaded Jacksonville's tiny little station and treated it like an airport. I still wonder why. It was a random April morning. They do this sometimes, although in the Northeast it probably wasn't that bad since it was probably just Amtrak police in most cases, not actual TSA.

100% with you on this one, Hokie. We were so stupid, naive, trusting, and willing to overlook signs before 9/11. The security folks are trained to read people, so let them do their job in protecting you.

Yeah,lots of good the "security" did in Cancun today which is a major tourist International Airport!To each his own but Im worried about folks who say they have no problem with more and more increased security presence,as Harry Truman sort of said: if you want protection,get a dog!

Its ridiculous as others have said to have color code alerts,take off shoes and belts,put your cosmetics in baggies and go through two or three levels of security when,as the OP said, NOTHING is going to stop a fanatical terrorist from carrying out their perverted and crazy schemes!In all honesty, Amtrak cops are about as effective as Wal-Mart security guards<Ive never noticed them do much of anything except hang around and check IDs once in awhile!(and the dog will protect me from the travelers cats!LOL)
Last time I checked Cancun was in Mexico and not subject to the rules and regulations at a US airport. Tomorrow is the anniversary of a day I would prefer to not have experienced, but I don't really care if there are Amtrak police standing on the platform, because I know if there is an incident, they are trained to handle crowds, emergencies and any other action. I also don't care if they have exercises with local law inforcement agencies to sharpen their skills. I want someone prepared in the event of a problem. I know I am not going to be able to respond properly, so what is your problem with having someone else being prepared?

We tend to have short memories and we still stand an applaud at major sporting events when first responders are on the field or being honored. I am sure you are one of those people standing and clapping and if not I feel sorry for you!

A very similar exercise was held last year. I can't see how it's a bad idea for the various law-enforcement organizations to train together once a year, though it probably is not enough joint training to make much difference in the case of an actual emergency.

Last year I scoffed at this training event as security theater, and I'd still probably take that position if Amtrak tried to install some sort of actual screening in stations. As a joint training exercise, though, it seems inoffensive enough.

I'm sure we'll have another thread about this next fall.

I really have no problem with Amtrak police on platforms or in stations, and would happily oblige to a random bag check. I wouldn't say it makes me feel any more or less safer (as I really don't feel unsafe in the first place) but I don't think any real harm could come from it, so why not?

I draw the line at getting an agency like the TSA involved, though. Amtrak Police have a vastly different level of training and responsibility compared to the TSA screeners you find milling around at airports. There's been a few times (as mentioned above) that the TSA has come out to train stations, and it really just seems more like a political show than any real effective security.

I guess what it comes down to is that I believe in effective, unobtrusive security by properly trained agents and I have little patience for anything else.

Just keep the TSA away from the Amtrak platforms! I dread to think how they would react when they open up suitcases and find things normal travelers expect to carry, such as large bottles of shampoo, full size deodorants, toothpaste in tubes that last more than a few days, snacks and a few electronic gadgets. And I'd sure hate to be tagged for smuggling a pizza on board!

Last time I checked Cancun was in Mexico and not subject to the rules and regulations at a US airport. Tomorrow is the anniversary of a day I would prefer to not have experienced, but I don't really care if there are Amtrak police standing on the platform, because I know if there is an incident, they are trained to handle crowds, emergencies and any other action. I also don't care if they have exercises with local law inforcement agencies to sharpen their skills. I want someone prepared in the event of a problem. I know I am not going to be able to respond properly, so what is your problem with having someone else being prepared?

We tend to have short memories and we still stand an applaud at major sporting events when first responders are on the field or being honored. I am sure you are one of those people standing and clapping and if not I feel sorry for you!
I appreciate your feedback and understand your feelings! I am a retired Govt. employee but once upon a time back in the day I was a firefighter while attending college so I honor all first responders!Cancun's airport actually has very stringent security,the idiot that pulled this one used a VERBAL threat about a fake bomb,as the OP said nothing will prevent fanatics from doing crazy and kooky things in the name of their religion/political beliefs or just plain insanity!

I know Friday is the anniversary of that sad day in New York,actually I was there that day,luckily not in the area involved!

My only concern,as others have said, is to not get TSA or other non-qualified keystone cops involved @ train stations, Amtrak cops need to earn their money,as Ive said before, and you mentioned,they are hanging around,showing the flag is OK,it does deter some nuts,but Ill point ou that all the security in the world will not stop fanatics,lok @ Israel daily/England during the IRA crazy days etc.

We can say we dont mind security, just remember we are the safest country on earth, I never forget that life is an adventure and too short to worry about what might happen, I still find trains and train stations the closest thing to the old days (minus the segregation and class distinctions that used to exist!)!

They wanna be there @ the station,ride the trains,check tickets, IDs etc. ,no problem!

As for me, I dont want train stations to become like airports and if some kook pulls an attempted crzay act aboard a train or in a station Im not afraid to

intervene ,as the guy in Pulp Fiction said: "..hate to tell you Rambo,but this is not the first time Ive had a gun pointed at me.."

Dont anyone live in fear, enjoy the journey that is life, especially aboard a train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back