Streetcar to NOL starts service today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with NOL at all, other than passing through in and out via MSY, and the WWII museum (Which, if you haven't been, is amazing). We're arriving on 59 in July, need to get to the airport to get a Rental Car, to drive to Pensacola-Any commuter train/streetcar options to MSY Airport, or is it still necessary to take a cab?
It's not a train or streetcar, but if you're arriving on a weekday, Jefferson Transit's E-2 bus route will pick you up 4 blocks from Union Station and

take you directly to the airport for just $2/per person.

Schedule here: http://jeffersontransit.org/e2airport.php

I'm not familiar with NOL at all, other than passing through in and out via MSY, and the WWII museum (Which, if you haven't been, is amazing). We're arriving on 59 in July, need to get to the airport to get a Rental Car, to drive to Pensacola-Any commuter train/streetcar options to MSY Airport, or is it still necessary to take a cab?
Why are you renting at the airport? Hertz runs a desk out of a hotel two blocks from Union Station that I picked up a rental at back in October when Charlie and I took the Crescent in.
Because Hertz wants $300 more than Alamo for the same class car for a week. And, I think based on my last trip, they close at 6, if the train is late, I'm going to the airport anyway, by default. I don't mind paying for convenience, but that's a bit much!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Will this new Loyola car get me to the New Orleans Marriott?
  • (Thanks, you New Orleans rail fans)
Based on the System Map linked below, it will take you there.

The Loyola Streetcar goes down Loyola to Canal, down Canal to the Riverfront.

The map shows that it continues along the Riverfront on to The French Market but the timetable shows the last stop as being Harrah's.

Along the Riverfront sure would be convenient because I haunt the French Market area when I'm there but I suppose I could transfer to the Riverfront SC to go further.

Man, we just came home from NOLA on Sunday, this would have been fun to take to the Westin.

Follow the directions at the top of the page and then zoom in on the map to see detail.

http://www.norta.com/Maps_Schedules/SystemMap/index.html

I'm not knocking going into New Orleans (wifey and I are doing that soon for a 3 day vacation, including a visit to the WW2 museum!) but if getting to Pensacola is your sole goal, you might consider getting off the train at Hammond and arranging in advance for an Enterprise rent a car (they pick you up). I did this a few years ago, riding the CONO Memphis to Hammond and renting a car to get to Lake Charles, LA. for a seminar.

Before it went so far, taken in October, 2004. We had a transportation pass, never drove an automobile the whole trip. Taken at the point where the driver said, "you must get off here" while they switched.

Riverfront

Why do I get this warning and when I link a photo? You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community. It's a JPG?

The map shows that it continues along the Riverfront on to The French Market but the timetable shows the last stop as being Harrah's.

Along the Riverfront sure would be convenient because I haunt the French Market area when I'm there but I suppose I could transfer to the Riverfront SC to go further.

Man, we just came home from NOLA on Sunday, this would have been fun to take to the Westin.

Follow the directions at the top of the page and then zoom in on the map to see detail.

Nice map. Now I just need to avoid the danger zones. And the 82 Desire is nowhere to be found.

Looking at schedules from 8-10 years ago, the Crescent used to have a 7:20 AM departure from New Orleans. Perhaps with improvements by NS on the route, they could tighten up the schedule and go back to a little later departure for streetcar connections. The Crescent will get trip time improvements north of Atlanta with the track projects in NC and VA, but those are 2016 or 2017 completion date projects.
Maybe the improvements they have been making these past winters between NOL and ATL will help in this cause. I'm an early riser, and I understand #20's schedule works well further north, but IMHO nothing should leave NOL at 7:00AM. There otta be a law!

No real viable public transit options to the airport. It's either a cab or you can take the Super Shuttle van for about half the cost. You may have to ride along to a few other hotels, so if you have another passenger, the cab would cost the same and takes much less time.

Looking at schedules from 8-10 years ago, the Crescent used to have a 7:20 AM departure from New Orleans. Perhaps with improvements by NS on the route, they could tighten up the schedule and go back to a little later departure for streetcar connections. The Crescent will get trip time improvements north of Atlanta with the track projects in NC and VA, but those are 2016 or 2017 completion date projects.
Maybe the improvements they have been making these past winters between NOL and ATL will help in this cause. I'm an early riser, and I understand #20's schedule works well further north, but IMHO nothing should leave NOL at 7:00AM. There otta be a law!
So, you don't want to ride 190 with me to Boston in April? :giggle: It leaves WAS at 3:15 AM It gets to WIL at 4:50 AM. Haven't made definite plans yet, but that is one of the options I'm considering for my day trip to Boston.

Thanks, Chief. Very helpful info. I'll take the car to Harrah's and walk across the street.

No real viable public transit options to the airport. It's either a cab or you can take the Super Shuttle van for about half the cost. You may have to ride along to a few other hotels, so if you have another passenger, the cab would cost the same and takes much less time.
Why isn't the bus route I posted earlier "viable" in your mind? I've used it to get from the airport to downtown New Orleans. Sure, it's a slow ride but

it's only $2. Now, it won't work on weekends (without an additional connection) but it actually works pretty well for lots of folks.

Obviously a cab will be much faster, but I don't know why a one-seat ride on a public bus isn't a "viable" transit option.

The Loyola Streetcar goes all the way to the French Market along the riverfront on weekends only. Mon-Fri, it ends at Harrahs.

The Loyola Streetcar goes all the way to the French Market along the riverfront on weekends only. Mon-Fri, it ends at Harrahs.

Thanks!

Having a public transit option to and from NOL is going to make my trips that much more fun.

I'm not sure about days and times, but there is also the Riverfront street car, as someone mentioned, that runs along the river in front of the French Quarter. It appears that you could easily connect to it from the Loyola street car if it ends near the foot of Canal St.

I'm an early riser, and I understand #20's schedule works well further north, but IMHO nothing should leave NOL at 7:00AM. There otta be a law!
So, you don't want to ride 190 with me to Boston in April? :giggle: It leaves WAS at 3:15 AM It gets to WIL at 4:50 AM. Haven't made definite plans yet, but that is one of the options I'm considering for my day trip to Boston.
Now as long as it isn't NOL (Since no pax trains currently stop at LVS) I'm okay with an earlier departure than 7:00. But somehow a 3:15 AM departure seems awfully early in the AM - or too late in the PM - to be driving to WAS to catch, so even though I've never ridden 190, I think I'll have to pass. :p

Does anybody know what time the cafe car opens on 190? Is it 6:00 AM? If so, a thermos of your favorite morning beverage might be nice to have.

I'm an early riser, and I understand #20's schedule works well further north, but IMHO nothing should leave NOL at 7:00AM. There otta be a law!
Now as long as it isn't NOL (Since no pax trains currently stop at LVS) I'm okay with an earlier departure than 7:00. But somehow a 3:15 AM departure seems awfully early in the AM - or too late in the PM - to be driving to WAS to catch, so even though I've never ridden 190, I think I'll have to pass. :p

Does anybody know what time the cafe car opens on 190? Is it 6:00 AM? If so, a thermos of your favorite morning beverage might be nice to have.
Well, LVS being something of an "all night" town, an awkward-hour departure there timed for a morning LAX arrival might not be the worst thing in the world for some folks. Not so good for the business community, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back