Suggestions for Florida Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
Any ideas would be appreciated! We would like to travel from Redding, CA to Daytona Beach, FL (we will use AGR points :) ) but we would like to try the Sunset Limited...can we do this with AGR points? Should we stop in New Orleans, rent a car & drive the rest of the way (about 8 hours) or spend the night in New Orleans & take the train routed up through Washington DC, then down?

If I were you, I would use 2 zone AGR reward by taking the CS to LAX and SL to NOL. (make sure the SL runs on the day you arrive in LAX, as it runs 3 days a week). Then take Crescent from NOL to ATL on a paid trip. The fare from NOL to ATL is usually pretty cheap. Finally use 1 zone AGR reward from ATL to DYA on Crescent and Silver Star.

I would agree with Davids except that if I were travelig on my dime, I'd spend an extra night in NOL. If you travel through, you only get one night and you miss enjoying the city. When you pay yourself, you can stay an extra night (or more) and enjoy the sites.

No car is needed. There's a streetcar that runs right from the station to near many hotels.

If you were to use AGR points for the trip, it is the same number of points to ATL as it is to NOL. There is no need to spend money for the fare from NOL to ATL! (And if redeeming a sleeper award, you'll get a sleeper on the Crescent - including 3 meals! :) )

If OP reserves from Redding to Atlanta, he or she will not travel on Sunset Limited since that option is not offered. That's why OP needs to reserve to NOL, so he or she can take SL.

Back