Sunset Limited Boarded by Border Patrol Agents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Louisiana is an usual spot for Border Patrol agents to board the Sunset Limited, it's not an unusual practice for them to be suspicious of that train.

I take #421 and #422 atleast twice a year to visit my best friend from high school in Los Angeles.

And EVERY TIME I've taken the Sunset/Texas Eagle, I have encountered border patrol agents.

The most common spots are in El Paso and Del Rio... because you're right on the border.

Most of the time they are just hanging out at the platforms, but I've seen them do a sweep of the train before.

(Never seen them question passengers before)

There was a friendly agent at Del Rio and I chatted with him... he said one of the biggest problems is that illegals will sneak on the train while it's just sitting in San Antonio for 5-7 hours with the doors open during/before/after switching... hoping to ride in a bathroom (*cringes*) or something... hoping to get free passage out to LAX where they have family.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because up until two years ago, one did not need a passport to cross the border into Canada. Presently one needs a passport now if one is flying to Canada. Until June, at least for the moment, one still does not need a passport for a ground crossing be it train, car, or bus. After June, if the current plans aren't changed, one will either need a passport or a special photo id card to cross the border.
It's just to get back, right? Or have the Canadians decided to become jackstock, as well?

That's because up until two years ago, one did not need a passport to cross the border into Canada. Presently one needs a passport now if one is flying to Canada. Until June, at least for the moment, one still does not need a passport for a ground crossing be it train, car, or bus. After June, if the current plans aren't changed, one will either need a passport or a special photo id card to cross the border.
It's just to get back, right? Or have the Canadians decided to become jackstock, as well?
AFAIK it's supposed to be reciprocal, meaning that you'll need to show it going both ways. Even if Canada's not going to require it, there's little point in not showing it to them on the way in. No need to carry your birth certificate anymore if you've already got your passport with you.

you DON'T need a passport to go to canada by land untill june 1st 2009. AFTER that you will need one.
Unless you have an Enhanced Drivers License or ID from your state if they have them. Here's info in NY: http://nysdmv.com/edl-main.htm.

If you're from another state you'll need to check that states website to see if they issue the EDL's.

you DON'T need a passport to go to canada by land untill june 1st 2009. AFTER that you will need one.
Unless you have an Enhanced Drivers License or ID from your state if they have them. Here's info in NY: http://nysdmv.com/edl-main.htm.

If you're from another state you'll need to check that states website to see if they issue the EDL's.
from what i heard all you need is a drivers license and proof of citizinship( birth certificate) if you don't have a passport. if you don't have one or the other then be prepared for them to detain you while they confirm who you are. thats for the Windsor/Detroit and port huran/Sarina. i thought it was the same everywere else.

EDIT went here http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--201573--,00.html

michigan will start having the EDl and ESI(enhanced state id) next year. you will need either a passport or EDI or ESI after june 1st to cross the michigan/canadain boarder. but I have a passport so im good.

from what i heard all you need is a drivers license and proof of citizinship( birth certificate) if you don't have a passport. if you don't have one or the other then be prepared for them to detain you while they confirm who you are. thats for the Windsor/Detroit and port huran/Sarina. i thought it was the same everywere else.
Delayed or denied entry and turned back at the border! Either way, with long time advanced notices and requirement delays, you'll still have people that will neglect to meet requirements then still bad mouth HSL because of it.

Delayed or denied entry and turned back at the border! Either way, with long time advanced notices and requirement delays, you'll still have people that will neglect to meet requirements then still bad mouth HSL because of it.
HSL? Department of Homeland Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back