Superliner car direction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
I normally travel on east coast Viewliners, but will be making a trip on the Capital Limited in March--my first in a Superliner. I am curious about something:

All east coast trains run their Viewliners with the "B" end toward the locomotive (vestibule-front), so the odd numbered roomettes are on the right side of the train. I would assume that this symmetry exists to help avoid confusion between both passengers and the crew servicing these cars, moreso than someone's OCD getting a little extreme. Even Amfleet II coaches are run on LD trains "B" end forward (vestibule-rear), with the exception of the Pennsylvanian and Palmetto.

Since I am not familiar with Superliner trainsets, does this symmetry exsist on these trains as well?

Nope.

You see that on the LD trains because there is only a vestibule in one and, and there are no exterior doors in the diners, so the cars have to be oriented to provide egress from the diner in an emergency. Confusion of passengers and crew have nothing to do with it.

That's not an issue in Superliners where the exterior door is in the middle of the car, so they run facing whatever direction they happen to be in.

No. Viewliners must run with the vestibules against the diner, since they have none. Since Superliner access between cars is via the upper level only, this does not apply. Superliner sleepers can run in either direction.

I have been on many trains that have had 2-3 sleepers, where one had roomettes first and one had bedrooms first. Thus you can't tell until you board.

The only regular orientation pattern you see on Superliners/Hi-Levels is the Trans Dorm which obviously has to be stairs forward and also the Pacific Parlour Car which always has the service end (bar) towards the Diner.

OK thanks for letting me know.

But Viewliners normally (non-winter) don't run with the vestibule close to the diner on the Silvers or Cresent (not sure about LSL). The sets are all consistant: Viewliners run vestibule forward (away from diner), Cafe/Lounge runs vestibule forward (next to diner), Am II Coaches run vestibule rear (away from diner). I've noticed in winter mode (sleepers in rear) the Viewliners are turned to be vestibule forward (toward diner), but I think I've noticed the rest of the consist stays the same.

On a somewhat related issue, what safety features are there for when the end car does not have a vestibue at the rear? (Can you tell I usually travel in Amfleet I cars?)

OK thanks for letting me know.

But Viewliners normally (non-winter) don't run with the vestibule close to the diner on the Silvers or Cresent (not sure about LSL). The sets are all consistant: Viewliners run vestibule forward (away from diner), Cafe/Lounge runs vestibule forward (next to diner), Am II Coaches run vestibule rear (away from diner). I've noticed in winter mode (sleepers in rear) the Viewliners are turned to be vestibule forward (toward diner), but I think I've noticed the rest of the consist stays the same.

On a somewhat related issue, what safety features are there for when the end car does not have a vestibue at the rear? (Can you tell I usually travel in Amfleet I cars?)
In an extreme emergency, egress can also be provided by emergency escape windows.....

I thought after some experimenting, Amtrak simply ended up flipped the entire Silver consist around in the winter, right down to the baggage car becoming the last car, and that was to keep the Viewliners from "tail wagging". I guess the easy way to achieve that, would be to simply move the loco to the coach end of the summer consist.

I thought after some experimenting, Amtrak simply ended up flipped the entire Silver consist around in the winter, right down to the baggage car becoming the last car, and that was to keep the Viewliners from "tail wagging". I guess the easy way to achieve that, would be to simply move the loco to the coach end of the summer consist.
They don't quite follow that theory. The order is reversed, but car orientations mostly remain the same. The B-End of the coaches remain to the rear, the B-End of the Lounge and Sleepers remain on the leading end. The only car that is "turned" is the Diner which typically has the seating area closer to the sleepers and kitchen closer to the lounge. The baggage cars do not have a normal "orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back