Suspicious device stops Amtrak in Dodge City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGirl

Train Attendant
Read this in the Dodge City Daily Globe's website:

DODGE CITY — Two-hundred and forty-five passengers riding an Amtrak passenger train made an unexpected stop in Dodge City early Friday morning.

Dodge City Police Chief Craig Mellecker said a passenger found a suspicious device in a sleeping car and reported it to the conductor, who reported it to the DCPD. The police stopped the train in Dodge City around 1:30 a.m.

The Kansas Highway Patrol responded to the situation, and after using specialized equipment to look at the device, they rendered it safe.

No one was hurt and passengers got on their way shortly before 7 a.m. this morning.

Full article here: Dodge Globe

an Amtrak passenger train made an unexpected stop in Dodge City early Friday morning.
huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif

The SWC has a station in Dodge City and stops every day!
rolleyes.gif

Six hours to check out a "suspicious" device??? :eek: And look @ who responded: almost every LE Agency in Kansas and the US, plus the Station Master from La Junta,Colorado???? :rolleyes: My favorite was the Salvation Army, guess the LSA and the Diner crew didnt have to break out the Emergency Rations or serve breakfast after the Train rolled out 7 hours late! There's such a thing as being safe rather than sorry, but it must have been a slow night in Dodge City, where was Matt Dillon and Wyatt Earp?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Six hours to check out a "suspicious" device??? :eek: And look @ who responded: almost every LE Agency in Kansas and the US, plus the Station Master from La Junta,Colorado???? :rolleyes: My favorite was the Salvation Army, guess the LSA and the Diner crew didnt have to break out the Emergency Rations or serve breakfast after the Train rolled out 7 hours late! There's such a thing as being safe rather than sorry, but it must have been a slow night in Dodge City, where was Matt Dillon and Wyatt Earp?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, good grief, who did not respond to the "suspicious" package? Quoting from the article: " Along with the DCPD and the KHP bomb squad, the FBI, Dodge City Fire Department, Ford County Sheriff's Office, Ford County Fire/EMS, Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the Ford County Emergency Manager, the Amtrak Train Master out of La Junta, and the Dodge City Salvation Army responded to the scene."

What they didn't call in the DHS, ATF, NCTC, CSI: Dodge City, the US Navy Seals, Delta Force, the Marines, and Jack Bauer? :help:

There is now probably one owner of a former suspicious package who is ticked off that they destroyed his or her luggage or bag.

Yes, good grief, who did not respond to the "suspicious" package? Quoting from the article: " Along with the DCPD and the KHP bomb squad, the FBI, Dodge City Fire Department, Ford County Sheriff's Office, Ford County Fire/EMS, Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the Ford County Emergency Manager, the Amtrak Train Master out of La Junta, and the Dodge City Salvation Army responded to the scene."

What they didn't call in the DHS, ATF, NCTC, CSI: Dodge City, the US Navy Seals, Delta Force, the Marines, and Jack Bauer? :help:

There is now probably one owner of a former suspicious package who is ticked off that they destroyed his or her luggage or bag.
Hind-sight sure is 20/20 here.

Who should not have been there if this threat had gone BOOM!

I think the Kansas authorities did an excellent job in a very dangerous situation.

Passenger Safety - 1 .... Unattended baggage - 0

There isn't too much excitement in Dodge - this probably was the highlight of the week...month...

I think the Kansas authorities did an excellent job in a very dangerous situation.

Bullsh$%. They highly over-reacted, once again. I will make this claim to ANYone who knows me, or knows If I am traveling on Amtrak. If you see ANY "suspicious" baggage or package, CALL ME. I will gladly grab the device, remove it from the train, and tell the conductor to "high-ball".
If it blows me to Kingdom-Come, who cares? I won't even realize it, and the train will get to leave on time, or close to it.

I removed a similar "suspicious" shopping bag at Midway years ago, after some over-zelaous traveler reported it to the local police. They asked us to clear the terminal, and I simply walked by the patrolman, picked up the bag, disregarded what he was yelling at me, and placed it outside, where the taxis drop off.

Of course they wanted to "question me" for a while, but it was a simple case of a rather scruffy person leaving a bag of not much more than trash. When I demanded that they pay for my next flight, as I was about to miss mine, I was whisked to the gate on a golf cart.......

Life is a game of risks, and the chances of a package containing a bomb or other harmful material are so slight, it doesn't even register to me.

Watch out for cars, lightening, or even sharks.

Bullsh$%. They highly over-reacted, once again. I will make this claim to ANYone who knows me, or knows If I am traveling on Amtrak. If you see ANY "suspicious" baggage or package, CALL ME. I will gladly grab the device, remove it from the train, and tell the conductor to "high-ball".

If it blows me to Kingdom-Come, who cares? I won't even realize it, and the train will get to leave on time, or close to it.

I removed a similar "suspicious" shopping bag at Midway years ago, after some over-zelaous traveler reported it to the local police. They asked us to clear the terminal, and I simply walked by the patrolman, picked up the bag, disregarded what he was yelling at me, and placed it outside, where the taxis drop off.

Of course they wanted to "question me" for a while, but it was a simple case of a rather scruffy person leaving a bag of not much more than trash. When I demanded that they pay for my next flight, as I was about to miss mine, I was whisked to the gate on a golf cart.......

Life is a game of risks, and the chances of a package containing a bomb or other harmful material are so slight, it doesn't even register to me.

Of course you are correct.

Public saftey officials will over-react. You just go ahead and keep making our jobs harder. We really do appreciate it.

Remember 1 Oh-sh*t erases all of your atta-boys, and possibly lives.

Lucky you didn't spend a night in jail. If the thing was real and blown up in your face, it would have all taken out much of the terminal and anybody standing nearby. Hindsight is great. Your actions: reckless.

The number of suspicious package train stops have grown dramatically recently, and by recently I mean within the past couple years, not just since 9/11. People should be on the lookout, but it's just gone overboard.

A "suspicious package" in my opinion has obvious signs (smells, large size, too much tape, wires, strategic location).

And my invisible shark repellent, which I use every day, hasn't failed, since I've yet to be attacked by a shark. Proof that it's working!

This reminds me of the announcements they play at CUS every 5 minutes about suspicious packages and unattended luggage. I haven't come across anything unattended yet in my four times of being through there.

I am taking Amtrak to the Gathering in SEA in Oct, after which I am looking forward to returning to my home and wife.

I wonder how much of the stuff I will be taking with me would be classified as "suspicious"

The Kansas Highway Patrol responded to the situation, and after using specialized equipment to look at the device, they rendered it safe.

The verb "rendered" has me wondering. Does that mean the KHP did something to make it safe, or does that mean the KHP determined that it was safe????

Lucky you didn't spend a night in jail. If the thing was real and blown up in your face, it would have all taken out much of the terminal and anybody standing nearby. Hindsight is great. Your actions: reckless.
Except Mike that 99.9% of the time, it's nothing.

So, if it is a real bomb, and if it set to detonate if moved, when you pick that thing up, the result is you and everyone around you is dead or maimed. This all because of your desire to not be inconvenienced. Of course, there is maybe only a one in a thousand chance that could happen. I guess you feel lucky, but if you're wrong, you are not the only one who could pay the price.

So, if it is a real bomb, and if it set to detonate if moved, when you pick that thing up, the result is you and everyone around you is dead or maimed. This all because of your desire to not be inconvenienced. Of course, there is maybe only a one in a thousand chance that could happen. I guess you feel lucky, but if you're wrong, you are not the only one who could pay the price.
Willing to. Life is all about risks. You're born, you live, you die. Sometimes not in the time frame you'd like.

Hey guys...

Back off the public safety types a little bit. While 1:1000 odds seem pretty good about something happening if you do it 2500 times you have to be asking when the numbers catch up to you. These guys got killed and maimed because they became complacent and did not follow strict protocol: Non rail related bomb (no excuse for the bad guys who are now in jail).

When you have an incident in a largely unpopulated area you do not have every resource close or quick. So you invite all your safety type buddies to come to the party, because if it takes them 10 hours to get there, and you wait until you really need them then its way too late. Once the first guy there make the decision "this might be real", then untill proven otherwise it is treated as "this IS real".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back