sw chief consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Going on SW Chief next month . just wondered if the sleepers are still ahead of the dinning car or have they

been moved to the rear of the train as I have heard they have been on the CZ . Also how is the food? since

they have stopped cooking on board as they did when I rode a few years back

Trainfan

The reverse consist has been done away with; sleepers are toward the engines, and coaches are toward the rear. The menu has been basically restored, so that steaks and such are now again available, as well as some items (including appetizers) not on the menu for many years. Service on all the West Coast long-hauls is being improved so that they will soon be "premium trains" like the EB and the CS.

That's good to hear about the food and upgrading. I rode the SWC in November and I wouldn't say the food was bad - just acceptable. I thought the salad was boring. I wil be on the train to Chicago in early May and look forward to it - coach eastbound, sleeper westbound.

That's good to hear about the food and upgrading. I rode the SWC in November and I wouldn't say the food was bad - just acceptable. I thought the salad was boring. I wil be on the train to Chicago in early May and look forward to it - coach eastbound, sleeper westbound.
Strange thought about the old Amtrak salad: as food, yes, it's boring. But it's actually served as an icebreaker with dining tablemates on several occasions, because if you haven't talked to them before the salad arrives, at that point somebody has to ask for the salad dressing basket to be passed around. And then somebody asks "how far are you traveling" or "where did you board" or "are you going home or away from home" and conversation starts. Asking for the salad dressing has been the first exchange several times in my travels, though.

I wouldn't object to having a better salad; I'm just saying the salad in its boring form still has a useful quality :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boring salads take about 20 seconds to prepare. Some of the unboring salads me and my girlfriend make take hours. You gotta boil the beats, and shave the carrots, and dice the scallions, garlic leaf, and chives, then you gotta chop up all the lettuce, and rub each of them with a little garlic. Then you have to make the salad dressing. I can't imagine them doing anything other than a boring salad.

Current consist of #3/4 (in order):

2 Engines

1 Baggage

1 Transition Sleeper

2 Full Sleepers

1 Diner

1 Lounge

2 Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back