SWC #3 today (6/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
For those interested in such details, I just walked the entire train. There is a contingent if Boy Scouts for Raton from Illinois and Michigan aboard. While the train does not appear full at this time, there are four coaches and an additional sleeper on the rear of the train. I understand the Scout leaders have sleepers

Do you have an early dinner reservation?

No, 6:45. The diner did not look too busy at 5:30. I bet the Scouts bring their own. Tomorrow night will probably do an early dinner before the start running out of food! My friend and I just had a good laugh over your question.

:giggle: Have a wonderful trip and enjoy dinner. It does make sense that the scouts would not be eating in the diner.

For those interested in such details, I just walked the entire train. There is a contingent if Boy Scouts for Raton from Illinois and Michigan aboard. While the train does not appear full at this time, there are four coaches and an additional sleeper on the rear of the train. I understand the Scout leaders have sleepers
The Scout leaders have sleepers but the Boy Scouts go coach because they won't sleep! Hopefully, you are not in a coach between their coach and the SSL or you won't get any sleep either; there is a continuous all-night parade between their coach and the SSL. I've had that experience. :angry:

We are happily ensconced in Room 7 of the 330 car. The Scouts in the lounge car a while ago were talkative and a bit noisy, but they are a well mannered bunch.

What are you having for dinner? Can you tell if the scouts ordering from the children's menu? Are the scouts in uniform?

If you cannot guess, I am jealous that you are on a train and I am not. :giggle:

The Scouts are wearing Philmont Ranch T shirts. All of us are now awaiting our dinner in a very busy car west of Fort Madison. I have ordered the Turkey Shank and my friend the mahi mahi. Looks like raon

Please report back and let us know whether you and your friend liked your meals. Also....I really want to know what you are having for dessert. :)

Update for Penny: more Scouts are in the diner, some in uniform. I just finished the turkey shank, which was fairly tasty. The friend likes the fish but says it could be warmer.

Thanks. BTW, chocolate is my favorite dessert. :)

I wanted cheesecake but it was all frozen. So I had the sugar free vanilla pudding and friend had chocolate parfait. They were OK for something served in a plastic cup.

Status report- sat in lounge car watching fading sky then to sleeper. SCA Dorothy is friendly, but she would not turn the upper bunk mattress around as my disabled friend has difficulty getting in the bed if the pillow is at the end where he climbs up. He requested this but she said no. I just turned the bedding around myself, choosing not to make an issue of this. I told him that she may be following instructions that passengers should sleep traveling feet first. Now you may be wondering why Greatcats is not in the top bunk and disabled friend down below. I use a CPAP machine, which is going to be difficult to arrange if I'm in the top bunk.

One of the lower level toilets is out, but we seasoned travelers are used to this. Otherwise, all seems well as we head for Kansas City tonight

This morning we are leisurely galumphing along near Lamar, Co. We sat for over 45imutes in Dodge City. Probing the Amtrak app, I found that #4 was late and did not arrive DC until after 2 am. I learned recently that is a crew based in La Junta that makes a short overnight round trip. So we had to wait for the crew to have ha a 4 hour swing to conform to hours of service.

The back and forth about the Scouts on the SWC makes me think of last Summer when a Very Large Group of Scouts from Michigan and their Leaders got aboard after spending a Couple of Weeks in the Wilderness @ the Ranch! The OBS Crew actually set up Folding Chairs in one of the Coaches that was Reserved for the Scouts since the Train was Full! :eek: Also the Scouts headed for the Lounge and the Cafe and within an Hour the Cafe was pretty much out of Everything! ^_^ These Young Men were Excited and Energetic, but as others have said they were Polite and Well Mannered! It's just that there were So Many of them and they Basically took over the SSL and the Passage through Raton Pass (hopefully Not for the Last Time!) had to be Observed from my Roomette! :( I didn't see any Scouts in the Diner but several Leaders were eating there when I had Dinner!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome. Just departed Trinidad to ascend Raton Pass. I'm pleased to say that the Boy Scouts have been exemplary citizens. While this train arrangement may change in the future, it is good that the Scouts have been provided the experience of the train trip, instead of flying or buses.

Enjoying your report. And, I will move it to that area as this is what it is, a real time trip report!

It is almost lunch time. What time is lunch? Are they taking reservations? I am hungry, so I hope you and your friend are eating early. I am anxious to hear what you are having for lunch, whether boy scouts are eating in the diner and whether the diner is crowded.

I am still jealous that you are on a train and I am not. Thanks for the updates. :)

This did morph into a trip report, but was not intended that way. Just arrived Raton and three school buses have met us. This trip started in Flagstaff for the two of us and we attended concerts in Los Angeles and San Diego. Then we flew Sputhwest to Chicago. I had been dreading that flight, but it turned out to be pleasant. Good service and a very fine lady in our row provided good company. We may be having lunch with her next week in Phoenix!

Penny dear- lunch will be served in a few minutes at noon. The Scouts disembarked rapidly and the train was not in Raton very long. The SCA had closed the door of our car and then a passenger came banging on it. I shook my head no. There would be he'll to pay if I had opened the door. Thankfully, he made the train, but said he learned a lesson

Penny......continued......Lunch took a full hour. Slow kitchen. I had the Southwest salad, which I rate as fair to partly cloudy. It said Romaine lettuce, but it appeared to be mostly boring Iceberg. The cheesecake with raspberries was the highlight of the meal. I love going across these wide open spaces of New Mexico heading toward Las Vegas.

Sorry your salad was less than stellar. I am not a fan of iceberg lettuce, but prefer spring mix, which I have not found on Amtrak. I am happy you were happy with dessert.

Again, thanks for the updates. I hope the rest of your trip is entertaining (even without the boy scouts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back