SWC #3 today (6/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike boring salads in restaurants. I always buy Spring Mix in the store. Meanwhile, we passed the double S curves south of Las Vegas, and then the conductor pointed put 3 bison, known as Moe, Larry, and Curly. We were even informed that the meet with the eastbound train will be at a location called Sands, with us going in the siding using hand thrown switches. Just crossed the Pecos River with the junked cars in the river. Ugly. Today from La Junta there is a train crew of 4, which includes 2 men qualifying who are new. Spoke to one of them from Albuquerque, who had worked for Comcast Cable and is pleased with his new job.

Enjoy dinner! :) Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be the last report on this run, unless something startling occurs between now ( east of Gallup ) and Flagstaff. Dinner was quite good, with the personable server Gerald. We shared our table with a delightful senior couple from Connecticut, with a resume including being engineering professors and teachers in India and Nigeria. We are told the sleepers are all sold put, but the dining car was less frenetic than last night. I was on this same train from Chicago less than 4 weeks ago and the service was better on that trip. Our SCA on this trip has been so-so and she will be getting one of my lesser tips. I think she means well, but her demeanor and personality don't quite fit the position. However, I do not feel she warrants a complaint. These days I do that sparingly. Thanks for reading. We are passing through a desert dust storm. Pray for rain in these parts.

I enjoyed sharing part of your trip with you. Thanks.

And....I hope it rains where it is needed.

Namaste.

Status report- sat in lounge car watching fading sky then to sleeper. SCA Dorothy is friendly, but she would not turn the upper bunk mattress around as my disabled friend has difficulty getting in the bed if the pillow is at the end where he climbs up. He requested this but she said no. I just turned the bedding around myself, choosing not to make an issue of this. I told him that she may be following instructions that passengers should sleep traveling feet first. Now you may be wondering why Greatcats is not in the top bunk and disabled friend down below. I use a CPAP machine, which is going to be difficult to arrange if I'm in the top bunk.One of the lower level toilets is out, but we seasoned travelers are used to this. Otherwise, all seems well as we head for Kansas City tonight
I am surprised to hear that the SCA refused to rearrange the bunk mattress per your request. Frequently I request the upper bunk mattress rearranged when I travel in the deluxe bedroom. All of the SCA's I have had always, without issue, accommodate my request. I would be interested if it was indeed a safety issue in a roomette configuration or you just got stuck with a less than accommodating SCA.

Something startling did happen. The friend and I after Winslow were downstairs getting our luggage organized. Due to his cerebral palsy disabilty, he works slowly. Our SCA was sweeping the rest room area and said we would have to wait, as she had to clean that area RIGHT NOW and that we had plenty if time. We returned to our room rather steamed and the conductor came through the car. I asked to speak with him; he listened and took me to a Customer Service Manager who had been aboard the trip. I explained matters to him, witnessed by the Conductor and my favorite waiter, who were shaking their heads in dismay. I asked the manager to please handle the lady after we get off in Flagstaff and that she had forfeited any tip. I hate to do this, but sometimes it is necessary

I've enjoyed following along on your trip. I have never had occasion to complain about any of my amtrak trips but I think it was necessary for you to bring your SCA to their attention because of her handling of a person with a disability. He wasn't asking for anything out of the ordinary although I feel he has the right to do that as well. She needs a refresher course on ADA let alone some sensitivity training. Your complaint may help others in the future.

Dovecote - In a second conversation in the empty diner with the Customer Service Manager ( who is about to retire ) I asked about the positioning of sleeping car passengers feet first. Yes, he said, that is correct, in order not to have the head hit the wall first in the event of a collision. But since my companion explained his difficulty in positioning himself on the bed, his request should have been honored.

( He can hoist himself up from the steps in the roomette to the bunk without too much trouble, but then he needs to extend his body lengthwise, not trying to turn himself around in a tight space. ) We discussed a little bit more about our SCA, but I proceeded to compliment other employees whom I have met recently who I happily tipped.

I am now at home, typing on the Ipad instead of the Iphone. Wrapping up what happened tonight, if it had just been me with this lady, I probably would have kept my mouth shut. Unfortunately, she acted in an insensitive manner to my friend, who while mobile, has obvious physical limitations. ( While the safety idea here certainly makes sense, my friend adds that he added extra pillows by his head.)

Aloha

Bending for me is Difficult so I have only used the top bunk in a superliner once. I prefer feet first. And I always let the SCA know that and I also let the SCA know that they are free to turn the room around at their convenience while I am at meals. Most do this. But I have had a few over maybe 20 years that wouldn't One recently that would not do that. He actually stated I had to give him a specific time. He failed to do even that.

For those interested in such details, I just walked the entire train. There is a contingent if Boy Scouts for Raton from Illinois and Michigan aboard. While the train does not appear full at this time, there are four coaches and an additional sleeper on the rear of the train. I understand the Scout leaders have sleepers
Did not see if anyone else asked this, but is the sleeper on the rear actually being used? Or just ferried?

Wow! I have never heard of them adding an additional sleeper like that. I wonder how that came about. Do you know if the sleeper was going the whole distance or was it removed somewhere along the way?

Dovecote - In a second conversation in the empty diner with the Customer Service Manager ( who is about to retire ) I asked about the positioning of sleeping car passengers feet first. Yes, he said, that is correct, in order not to have the head hit the wall first in the event of a collision. But since my companion explained his difficulty in positioning himself on the bed, his request should have been honored. ( He can hoist himself up from the steps in the roomette to the bunk without too much trouble, but then he needs to extend his body lengthwise, not trying to turn himself around in a tight space. ) We discussed a little bit more about our SCA, but I proceeded to compliment other employees whom I have met recently who I happily tipped. I am now at home, typing on the Ipad instead of the Iphone. Wrapping up what happened tonight, if it had just been me with this lady, I probably would have kept my mouth shut. Unfortunately, she acted in an insensitive manner to my friend, who while mobile, has obvious physical limitations. ( While the safety idea here certainly makes sense, my friend adds that he added extra pillows by his head.)
Thanks for the response and your PM.

I was told that the fourth coach and extra sleeper were added at the last minute. Also, the Scouts' backpacks were kept in a lower level baggage compartment of one if the coaches, not at the forward baggage car. They unloaded very rapidly at Raton.

Not to make lite of your friend's issues, but the disability here is really irrelevant. She shouldn't have done what she did even to non-disabled passengers. I can see an SCA turning someone away from a bathroom that they're trying to clean. But there is no reason for them to ever turn someone away from a common, public area just so that they can clean. You clean around the passengers. That is your job!

Now with regard to the bed turning, I can understand some reluctance, as indeed it is a rule that they're supposed to set one up feet first. Note: This cannot be done in Viewliner's, where the tapered beds forces half the car to always be head first. But in this case, while the SCA should consider the request without regard to disabilities, it is a request that most certainly should have been honored in light of his difficulties.

Thank you , Alan. I agree with you. If she had not pulled her last stunt, I would not have said anything and would have given a modest tip. Her attitude seemed to be about her convenience, not the customers. I sent the Customer Service Manager who I had the animated discussions with on the train an Email note of thanks the next day, indicating that he could contact me if he had any more questions, but otherwise I did not want to pursue the matter further. Nothing more has been heard from him, which is OK. the ticket agents at FLG told me she will probably be written up and maybe get time off, since there have been other problems with her. I look forward to meeting you in Chicago-my friend is comin, too. ( she was a downer after having had several excellent SCAs in a row. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back