take LSL or Cap Limited - your opinions please !

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am booked for a trip in mid march . I am taking the Capitol limited and NE regional to PHL eastbound . Then returning by NE Regional and LSL back to CHI .

But now wondering if I shouldn't take LSL both ways . The roomette is $60 more by LSL but the scenery and Viewliner equipment are other factors to consider . I have been over the Capitol Limited route a number of times. I have yet to experience the Viewliner equipment or the LSL route . Actually wanted to go Cardinal one way , a route I have yet to experience . But the roomette is $200 more than the Capitol . So I cut back ........

Which way would you go ?

Personally, I would go the CL east, and the LSL west. If you are going all the way to WAS on the CL, you get dinner, breakfast and lunch. (You actually get 2 meals the next morning, and you can choose any item from either the breakfast and lunch menu at anytime. If you wanted, you could have a burger at 7 AM and French Toast at 11 AM! ;) )

On the LS eastbound, you do get a "welcome" party before departing CHI, but you only get breakfast and lunch. Going westbound, you get dinner and breakfast - but depending on the time of year, you may see the Hudson River. The LSL follows the shoreline from NYP-ALB, and it is scenic! :)

Personally, I would go the CL east, and the LSL west. If you are going all the way to WAS on the CL, you get dinner, breakfast and lunch. (You actually get 2 meals the next morning, and you can choose any item from either the breakfast and lunch menu at anytime. If you wanted, you could have a burger at 7 AM and French Toast at 11 AM! ;) )
On the LS eastbound, you do get a "welcome" party before departing CHI, but you only get breakfast and lunch. Going westbound, you get dinner and breakfast - but depending on the time of year, you may see the Hudson River. The LSL follows the shoreline from NYP-ALB, and it is scenic! :)
From the mouth of an expert! Ditto, this is the way to do it! If you do decide to take the Cardinal go from CHI to WAS, you get the good scenery in the daylight! (if you hunt you can occasionally find a deal on a sleeper on the Cardinal, usually the Saturday train has more room than Tues or Thurs)! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst trip ever made on Amtrak was on the LSL. It arrived in NYP almost a lifetime late, I missed my bus connections at the Port and had to stay at a fleebag hotel off Times Square. I was walking around with luggage at midnight trying not to pay $300 for a nights sleep in downtown. Its is well worth the 3 hour trip up from Washington to NYP and arrive ontime and make my connections. The sleepers are cheaper and the crew is outstanding on the Cap Limited. I make this trip twice a year and have no problems using these connections to and from Emeryville. I realize that stuff happens, but to be stranded in NYC at night is really bad. The best train trip ever was on the Cap Limited two years ago. Played gin rummy with newly made friends until late night downstairs. My vote is always the Cap Limited.

When I travel west, I usually take the NEC Regional to WAS and the Capitol Limited to CHI. When I return, I take the LSL to NYP.

I also like the Cardinal, but it is difficult and expensive to get a sleeper. I prefer to begin my trip early in the morning to WAS.

I can walk around a bit at Union Station and wait for the Cap in the Acela Lounge. I have found the LSL to NYP to be a comfortable

trip and have always had excellent service.

I am having this same dilemma for a trip I am taking east from Chicago to Connecticut in June and I am pretty sure I am going to take the CL and not the LSL because of the timing issues (LSL arrives much later in the day on the east coast) with limited connections. I just don't want to end up stranded in NYC or Boston for the night.

I am having this same dilemma for a trip I am taking east from Chicago to Connecticut in June and I am pretty sure I am going to take the CL and not the LSL because of the timing issues (LSL arrives much later in the day on the east coast) with limited connections. I just don't want to end up stranded in NYC or Boston for the night.
That's one reason I personally do not take the LSL eastbound. The only connection from NYP to KIN is at 3 AM on #66, and if you're very lucky, you can connect at BBY on #67.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back