Take ten trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, I've got 6 booked between now and November 6th. And if I CANX my KCY-STL (O/W) MORR on Friday, and rebook, it will cost me about $4 more, but be over the $40 threshold.

Then all I'll need are three more over $40. It could happen!

Steve,

That won't work! You can only have 2 trips per day. So if you do 4 on the same day, only 2 will count for the promo. The other two will not count!

Steve,

That won't work! You can only have 2 trips per day. So if you do 4 on the same day, only 2 will count for the promo. The other two will not count!
Steve said he

booked a rt to Carbondale in a sleeper from Chicago, and a RT to STL on Veterans day.
A round trip to Carbondale in a sleeper is a two-day trip: south on train 59 on the evening of one day (leave CHI @ 8pm, arrive at Carbondale about 1:30am) and north on train 58 the next day (leave Carbondale @ about 3:15a, arrive CHI @ 9am).
The only Lincoln Service train that would allow a same-day round trip CHI-STL after arriving on the City of New Orleans at 9am is #303, leaving CHI @ 9:25am. Since that's a pretty damned tight connection, I strongly suspect that Steve is talking about two separate trips, to/from Carbondale and to/from Saint Louis, on two different days.

They are all separate trips. I appreciate the heads up. My sentence was poorly written. I did think about something like that, but decided that was too much to do at once. I never got around to the connection issue which would have nixed the entire plan.

Ugh...AGR did a good job of putting this promotion right on the edge of being worth it or not. On paper, 3.33 cents/point doesn't sound that great, but I'd probably be thrilled to have a chance at buying another 10,000 points for only $58 more at the end of the year when I've already used my quota. At least this way I'd get to enjoy the 10 trips along the way.

If you add a second segment onto each one-way trip, the cost is only 2.86 cents/point, which is pretty close to buying the points. Throwing in the 25% bonus for Select drops it to 2.76/point and Select Plus drops it to 2.67 cents/point.

Of course, all of the math is based on each trip costing exactly $40, which is probably unlikely anyway.

Another thought...does the 25% Mastercard bonus stack on top of this one?

Still have to spend 40 each way to get double points.
That's what I'm hearing from Amtrak customer support as well.
Not according to the AGR website. When you click the link to register it actually shows it as a two-part promotion. Part 1 is the '10 trips for 10K' part with the $40/trip requirement and Part 2 is 'Double points for ALL Amtrak travel'
Both the website and the email are VAGUE on this matter and it could easily be interpreted either way. However, if you bother to call you'll hear that AGR considers the $40 minimum spend to be a requirement of BOTH offers.

Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Once registered' date=' [b']all qualifying travel[/b] during the promotion period will be eligible to earn double points and count toward the Take Ten and earn 10,000 points promotion. Cancelled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Other terms and conditions apply. -Take Ten qualifying one-way trips on Amtrak between 10/1/10 and 12/14/10 and earn 10,000 bonus points. Minimum spend of $40 per one-way trip required. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for this promotion. Only one 10,000 bonus point award may be earned per member. Bonus points will be awarded within 4 weeks following your tenth qualifying trip. -Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 10/1/10 and 12/14/10. Double Points earned through the promotion will post with regular point-earnings. Allow up to 4 weeks from completion of travel for points to post to your account.
Now, the question I have for my fellow AU members is in regards to stacking. If I buy a ticket from SAS to SND and another from SND to ELP on the same day, am I able to then count that as two one-way trips for purposes of the 10,000 points so long as they were on separate ticket stock?
IF they are not on the same train #, then yes.

But in the case of the Sunset, you er, might be out of luck.....I think that's only a one train per day, EVERY OTHER day.
sad.gif
sad.gif
Now I'm really confused :wacko: I just booked tickets for a trip today to quincy thinking I would get double points so I would be 400 points closer to my reward trip now I'm not so sure. :unsure:

Now I'm really confused :wacko: I just booked tickets for a trip today to quincy thinking I would get double points so I would be 400 points closer to my reward trip now I'm not so sure. :unsure:
The minimum is only for trips that qualify for the 10,000 point bonus.

As long as you've registered for the promo, you should get double points.

Alan,

Have you confirmed this with AGR? Apparently AGR call center reps have told some AGR members that the $40 minimum applies to both promotions.

Alan,

Have you confirmed this with AGR? Apparently AGR call center reps have told some AGR members that the $40 minimum applies to both promotions.
I have not confirmed it with anyone, but it is quite clear in the wording of the promo that the minimum only applies to the 10,000 point bonus. And I put far more faith in that, than I do in agents who are telling people that they aren't having any problems with the conversion and switch-over when even AGR Insider admits publicly that they are having problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not confirmed it with anyone, but it is quite clear in the wording of the promo that the minimum only applies to the 10,000 point bonus.
What wording? From which source? Have you seen double points post for an under-$40 ticket yet? I hope you're right, but your lack of any evidence isn't very reassuring.

Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Once registered' date=' [b']all qualifying travel[/b] during the promotion period will be eligible to earn double points and count toward the Take Ten and earn 10,000 points promotion. Cancelled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Other terms and conditions apply. Note the start of the terms for the Take ten promo. -Take Ten qualifying one-way trips on Amtrak between 10/1/10 and 12/14/10 and earn 10,000 bonus points. Minimum spend of $40 per one-way trip required. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for this promotion. Only one 10,000 bonus point award may be earned per member. Bonus points will be awarded within 4 weeks following your tenth qualifying trip. -Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 10/1/10 and 12/14/10. Double Points earned through the promotion will post with regular point-earnings. Allow up to 4 weeks from completion of travel for points to post to your account.
Dax,

I marked the start of the terms for the Take Ten promo in green above. Please note that the first half of that paragraph deals with both promos and that no mention of the $40 minimum is made in that section. It's not until they specifically start the section dealing only with the Take Ten promo that any mention of a minimum is made.

As for knowning of anyone who has gotten double points, no, I'm not aware of anyone who has gotten them. And that would be because Amtrak isn't posting any AGR points until they have the problems with the conversion straightened out.

Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Once registered' date=' [b']all qualifying travel[/b] during the promotion period will be eligible to earn double points and count toward the Take Ten and earn 10,000 points promotion. Cancelled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Other terms and conditions apply. Note the start of the terms for the Take ten promo. -Take Ten qualifying one-way trips on Amtrak between 10/1/10 and 12/14/10 and earn 10,000 bonus points. Minimum spend of $40 per one-way trip required. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for this promotion. Only one 10,000 bonus point award may be earned per member. Bonus points will be awarded within 4 weeks following your tenth qualifying trip. -Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 10/1/10 and 12/14/10. Double Points earned through the promotion will post with regular point-earnings. Allow up to 4 weeks from completion of travel for points to post to your account.
Dax,

I marked the start of the terms for the Take Ten promo in green above. Please note that the first half of that paragraph deals with both promos and that no mention of the $40 minimum is made in that section. It's not until they specifically start the section dealing only with the Take Ten promo that any mention of a minimum is made.
As usual, AGR's T & C are a mess. I edit stuff like this for a living and I'd have sent these back for another draft in a New York minute. Fortunately, the ad copy is a little more clear:

Earn with Take Ten from 10/1/10 through 12/14/10 - 10,000 bonus points when you Take Ten trips - Double points on all Amtrak® travel- Plus, the points you already earn for Amtrak travel
So I'm expecting 200 points for my Slidell-New Orleans ticket next month.

Seeing how screwed up AGR has become I'm beginning to wonder if Amtrak even has the resources necessary to run a frequent rider program.
It's been essentially about 3 weeks since a massive change that involves all new staff, a major database conversion, transfer of data and all functions from one company to Amtrak. Hardly a fair conclusion at this point.

If things are still this bad in 2 or 3 months, fine, your conclusion is warranted. But until then, no!

This is from the email my husband received (the emphasis is mine):

"Earn with Take Ten from October 1 through December 14, 2010

• 10,000 bonus points when you Take Ten qualifying trips*

• Double points on all Amtrak® travel**

• Plus, the points you already earn for Amtrak travel

We sincerely thank you for the last ten years, and look forward to rewarding you for the next

ten—join the Take Ten celebration today.

Register Me

Terms and Conditions: Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Once registered, all qualifying travel during the promotion period will be eligible to earn double points and count toward the Take Ten and earn 10,000 points promotion. Cancelled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Offer expires at 11:59 pm Central Time on 12/14/10. Other terms and conditions apply.

* Take Ten qualifying one-way trips on Amtrak between 10/1/10 and 12/14/10 and earn 10,000 bonus points. Minimum spend of $40 per one-way trip required. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for this promotion. Only one 10,000 bonus point award may be earned per member. Bonus points will be awarded within 4 weeks following your tenth qualifying trip.

** Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 10/1/10 and 12/14/10. Double Points earned through the promotion will post with regular point-earnings. Allow up to 4 weeks from completion of travel for points to post to your account."

Wow, the fall promotion was worth waiting for. Take ten trips by 12/14 (limit 2 per day), and you get double points on each trip plus 10,000 bonus points.
More questions on definition of a "one way trip"... There has been lots of discussion of the $40 threshold, but I do not think my question has been asked and answered. If I travel SPK-LAX and that itinerary includes the EB SPK to PDX connecting to the CS PDX to LAX is that two trips? It appears to be. Am I wrong?

JMBGEG, I think your example would be 2 trips.

You have two tickets and two different train numbers.

I assume both tickets cost at least $40.

I already booked some tickets; once I register for the fall promo do I need to cancel and re-book? (I'm hoping to get double points, not ten trips.)

I already booked some tickets; once I register for the fall promo do I need to cancel and re-book? (I'm hoping to get double points, not ten trips.)
Doesn't (shouldn't, and hasn't with me in the past) matter if trip is already booked. As long as you DO register prior to your trip, you should be fine. As usual, hold onto your stubs until points / bonus points have posted.

Still have to spend 40 each way to get double points. I'm 900 pts from select plus.
I'm not so sure about that. Some of my trips were less than $40 and I still got double points. However, there were 2 that were less than $40 that didn't get double points. :blink: I've heard that others got double points for an $8 ticket. Go figure

Back