Taking Pictures of Trains Might Land You on a Watch List?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profwebs

Service Attendant
I use a "social networking" site called Twitter. I also use twitter to track topics that are being discussed for biz purposes, but I also track "Amtrak" and just caught this discussion between 2 people there.

@jhofheins there was a similar case locally where two local train buffs were arrested photographing Amtrak trains. I think it was thrown out
@triplej2676 That's the dumbest thing I ever heard - taking pics of a train getting you on a watch list. I take TRAX pics all the time. about 1 hour ago from web in reply
don't take pics of the front runner unless you wanna be labeled as a terrorist: http://tinyurl.com/67fbbv about 1 hour ago from web
The link in the last quote box above leads to this short story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4286032

I wonder from where, exactly, they were taking their pictures?

Where these photographers really arrested for trespassing? Did they have (written) permission from the owner of the land/building where they were standing while taking the pictures?

We had this discussion here before, but specifically about the WAS station.

I wonder from where, exactly, they were taking their pictures?
Where these photographers really arrested for trespassing? Did they have (written) permission from the owner of the land/building where they were standing while taking the pictures?

We had this discussion here before, but specifically about the WAS station.

If you look on his Twitter page, he is from Utah. However I don't know when he is talking about.

I didn't have any issues taking pics on the platform at WUS last week, even after I was walking towards the front of the train and an employee yelled to tell me the station was in the opposite direction. So, it seems like things got fixed in WUS.

don't take pics of the front runner unless you wanna be labeled as a terrorist:
<<But Baird says there's a difference between what is OK and what isn't. "If they're taking photographs of the way the train operates, in the sense of what kind of controls it has, the undercarriage of the train, the tracks, the way they are set up and how the train is rolling, switches. Unless they're going to be building a train, which I don't think they will, that's going to raise some suspicious nature," he said.>>

Fascinating. You can take pictures of the Train, but not of the Tracks. And not if the Train is on the Tracks, only off of them. And you can't show the Train "rolling". Only stopped. But you cannot take a photograph demonstrating that the Brakes work ("operational", you know), so you can't show it stopped either. And you can show the Roof of the Train OK, but not anything from the windows on down because it might be "mechanical" and therefore TOP SECRET 19th-CENTURY TECHNOLOGY!

And you can't show more than one TrainCar because that would reveal the secret of "the way they are set up". My, my.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I would never have guessed.

If you look on his Twitter page, he is from Utah. However I don't know when he is talking about.
Sorry, by "where", I meant something a bit more specific than the state (Utah). I meant like from an employee only area, or from within a restricted rail yard.

<<But Baird says there's a difference between what is OK and what isn't. "If they're taking photographs of the way the train operates, in the sense of what kind of controls it has, the undercarriage of the train, the tracks, the way they are set up and how the train is rolling, switches. Unless they're going to be building a train, which I don't think they will, that's going to raise some suspicious nature," he said.>>

Fascinating. You can take pictures of the Train, but not of the Tracks. And not if the Train is on the Tracks, only off of them. And you can't show the Train "rolling". Only stopped. But you cannot take a photograph demonstrating that the Brakes work ("operational", you know), so you can't show it stopped either. And you can show the Roof of the Train OK, but not anything from the windows on down because it might be "mechanical" and therefore TOP SECRET 19th-CENTURY TECHNOLOGY!

And you can't show more than one TrainCar because that would reveal the secret of "the way they are set up". My, my.

Does this mean that Amtrak is sponsoring terrorism by holding their photo contests? :huh: :eek:

I guess the national timetable should be known as a terrorist handbook because of the photo on the cover! :eek: :eek:

One of my railfan buddies got arrested at NYP for taking pictures of the slip switches. He was taking 66 to BOS and was going to come back on 2173. MOW worker saw him and gave him a hard time but they got friendly. He went to the concourse briefly, he came back down and the Amtrak Cops were looking for him. They took his camara and jailed him for "trespassing". He was ticketed to be on thier property. What idiots people can be! A judge looked at the file and threw the case out. He sued Amtrak and got $6,000 out of the suit and got another $1,000 from the City of New York.

One of my railfan buddies got arrested at NYP for taking pictures of the slip switches. He was taking 66 to BOS and was going to come back on 2173. MOW worker saw him and gave him a hard time but they got friendly. He went to the concourse briefly, he came back down and the Amtrak Cops were looking for him. They took his camara and jailed him for "trespassing". He was ticketed to be on thier property. What idiots people can be! A judge looked at the file and threw the case out. He sued Amtrak and got $6,000 out of the suit and got another $1,000 from the City of New York.
so i guess all us railfans who video tape trains and put on youtube are terrorists huh. this is all because of the 9/11 bull crap now everyone is paranoid. hes video taping a train grab him hes a terrorist. :angry:

EDIT OH OH what about all those train sim games a terrorist training manual on how to run a train :eek: better pull those games from store shelfs

Last edited by a moderator:
In the UK they cracked down a lot on train and plane spotters after all the terrorism lark started up since 9/11 and our own 7/7. Where in a number of London train stations you could previously take photos of trains to your hearts content, there's a high chance now that you will be grilled by the police about what you're up to and/or kicked out - or worse.

It's all based on the suspicion that you might be taking photos of trains/stations/tracks with an eye to the best way to place a bomb. And although it's a pain in the arse - I agree with them. These are the times we live in and I think a lot of people in Madrid would agree with me too

In the UK they cracked down a lot on train and plane spotters after all the terrorism lark started up since 9/11 and our own 7/7. Where in a number of London train stations you could previously take photos of trains to your hearts content, there's a high chance now that you will be grilled by the police about what you're up to and/or kicked out - or worse.
It's all based on the suspicion that you might be taking photos of trains/stations/tracks with an eye to the best way to place a bomb. And although it's a pain in the arse - I agree with them. These are the times we live in and I think a lot of people in Madrid would agree with me too
Is 7/7 referring to Madrid train bombing?

Is 7/7 referring to Madrid train bombing?
The July 7, 2005 bombings of the London Underground.

no self respecting terrorist would stand out in the open with a big camera and take photos' camera phones and tiny little cameras that no one will notice would be what they use anyway.

but I have heard no evidence that any of the terrorist took any photos of their targets anyway.

to the contrary, Rail fans know more than most employees about what is right or wrong, so they would probably be the first to notice something not right and contact the powers that be.

if a transit authority would recruit railfans as extra eyes and ears, give em a card with contact information so they could report something not right to the right place in a hurry they would probably accomplish ten times the security.

Bob

no self respecting terrorist would stand out in the open with a big camera and take photos' camera phones and tiny little cameras that no one will notice would be what they use anyway.

but I have heard no evidence that any of the terrorist took any photos of their targets anyway.

to the contrary, Rail fans know more than most employees about what is right or wrong, so they would probably be the first to notice something not right and contact the powers that be.

if a transit authority would recruit railfans as extra eyes and ears, give em a card with contact information so they could report something not right to the right place in a hurry they would probably accomplish ten times the security.

Bob
See THIS site and THIS one, too.

Bob
See THIS site and THIS one, too.

always did think BNSF was a rather progressive railroad, this confirms my opinion that they have level headed people rurnning the railroad. now that leaves a bunch to get on board, especially the transit systems.

Bob

always did think BNSF was a rather progressive railroad, this confirms my opinion that they have level headed people running the railroad. now that leaves a bunch to get on board, especially the transit systems.
Bob
Don't know if you saw it or not, but you can fill out a form and print a card that can be shown if you are stopped. It says you are helping BNSF watch out for things they need to know.

always did think BNSF was a rather progressive railroad, this confirms my opinion that they have level headed people running the railroad. now that leaves a bunch to get on board, especially the transit systems.
Bob
Don't know if you saw it or not, but you can fill out a form and print a card that can be shown if you are stopped. It says you are helping BNSF watch out for things they need to know.
Done!

Bob

Somehow that could apply even if nowhere near BNSF territory read: the eastern U.S.

Seriously, this 9/11 bullcrap is getting too prevalent and running unchecked and wild. I think it'd be simpler to resurrect hitler's gestappo instead of having to sign this crap into law and such piece by piece.

If they're standing on government-funded or by-default-owned property (Amtrak and commuter rail platforms and public station areas) then they are absolutely protected by the 1st amendment of the best document ever written, and the absolute law of the land here. If some over-zealous rentacop decides to give them trouble, then that rentacop should get shipped to the constitutionless GITMO and let it slip that he's an American "sympathizer." The second they cross that yellow line however, then they should be tackled by a pro football player and reminded of safety around trains.

I use a "social networking" site called Twitter. I also use twitter to track topics that are being discussed for biz purposes, but I also track "Amtrak" and just caught this discussion between 2 people there.

don't take pics of the front runner unless you wanna be labeled as a terrorist: http://tinyurl.com/67fbbv about 1 hour ago from web
The link in the last quote box above leads to this short story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4286032
well then this link on wikipedia is a terrorist hand book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrontRunner it tells what equpment is used and GASP a picture of the inside of the passenger car OMG :eek: :rolleyes:

the way there set up. the train consists of 3 bi-level cars and the locomotive. the last car of the train is a cab car so the driver of the train and operate the train in push mode. EEK hes coming to get me now. :rolleyes: so videos of trains are out of the question also. so in bairds eyes everyone whos posted pictures and videos on YOUTUBE and wikipedia and everywhere else on the web is a terrorist huh

Somehow that could apply even if nowhere near BNSF territory read: the eastern U.S.
Seriously, this 9/11 bullcrap is getting too prevalent and running unchecked and wild. I think it'd be simpler to resurrect hitler's gestappo instead of having to sign this crap into law and such piece by piece.

If they're standing on government-funded or by-default-owned property (Amtrak and commuter rail platforms and public station areas) then they are absolutely protected by the 1st amendment of the best document ever written, and the absolute law of the land here. If some over-zealous rentacop decides to give them trouble, then that rentacop should get shipped to the constitutionless GITMO and let it slip that he's an American "sympathizer." The second they cross that yellow line however, then they should be tackled by a pro football player and reminded of safety around trains.
but the intimidation factor is imense, I am getting ready for a 17 day Amtrak trip around the country with stops in several cities, if I am in King St taking photos and the "rent a cop" causes me to miss the Builder I have a sleeper on. he gets no reprimand because he can say "I looked suspicious" but I miss a train I paid a bundle to ride, and then have to figure out how to catch up or get to me next stop at big $$$$

I have never in all my many years been more paranoid in my own country (and I'm a veteran!), I am beginning to feel like the terrorist have won.

so even if you win, you lose.!!!

Bob

...I have never in all my many years been more paranoid in my own country (and I'm a veteran!), I am beginning to feel like the terrorist have won.

Bob
Let's not overreact to reports that are often exaggerated or sometimes not true at all. I travel a lot and take pictures all the time and I have never once been hassled by anyone. If you take photos at King Street Station of the station or the trains, you will have no problems. If you climb over fences and take photos in yards, or other areas you don't belong, you will get hassled, and rightly so. So, take your trip and take your pictures. You will be fine.

And for the record, if the terrorists had in fact won, I don't think you would have to worry about taking travel photos. You would not have the freedom to travel anywhere.

the way there set up. the train consists of 3 bi-level cars and the locomotive. the last car of the train is a cab car so the driver of the train and operate the train in push mode. EEK hes coming to get me now. :rolleyes:
Wow! That set-up is just the same as they use in dozens of other places for Commuter Trains. How simply SHOCKING!

I took a close look at the Tracks the other day. It looks like they are the same too.

...I have never in all my many years been more paranoid in my own country (and I'm a veteran!), I am beginning to feel like the terrorist have won.

Bob
Let's not overreact to reports that are often exaggerated or sometimes not true at all. I travel a lot and take pictures all the time and I have never once been hassled by anyone. If you take photos at King Street Station of the station or the trains, you will have no problems. If you climb over fences and take photos in yards, or other areas you don't belong, you will get hassled, and rightly so. So, take your trip and take your pictures. You will be fine.
I thought the same way until I was hassled,

both times in Boston, In South Station I was taking photos of an "Art object" made from railroad parts on display in the lobby and was told by a cop to not take photos of anything else, and was watched until I left the station. (is pretty neat art though)

the second time couple months later I was sitting at the Central Ave light rail stop on the mattapon-Ashmont line, I was in my car parked on Central ave legally, not on MBTA property when I was confronted by 3 MBTA police and subject to a half hour ID check, which also caused me to miss the photo of the restored PCC car running in fan trip service which I had been there to take photos of.

while I take many photos and rarely am bothered, it does happen, in the second case since I was sitting in my car I was obligated to give them my drivers license, and they took plenty of time giving it back. And obviously I couldn't leave since I would then be driving without a license,. catch 22!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back