Test of Amtrak knowledge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one question I found to be lacking. It was question #12 "The official names for the sleeper compartments that Amtrak offers are." What was lacking was the inclusion of the "H" room. No big deal but thought I'd mention it for the sake of feedback to the OP!
Yeah, I remembered the H room (officially called Accessible Bedroom) when I was writing the quiz, but decided to omit it for the sake of keeping the answers reasonably short. Didn't want to overwhelm test takers with short attention spans. :) The Accessible Bedroom is something of a special case, anyway.

As for the CEO-- I doubt that HE knows 100% of Amtrak's operations. No offense intended, but he's got so much other stuff bouncing around in his head that the last thing he wonders about is the "private stock" question.
I absolutely agree. Do you have a better suggestion for the top category, and a picture to go with it?

Wish i could see what i got wrong...
This is an oft-repeated complaint, and, unfortunately, it's outside of my control. HelloQuizzy doesn't offer this option, and perhaps for good reason -- it would then be tempting to go back and fix the answers you got wrong. :) I will, however, post the answers to all the questions here once everyone had a chance to take the quiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question #12 says "The official names for the sleeper compartments that Amtrak offers are ...", 2 of the answers are correct. The bedroom used to be called a deluxe bedroom, and the roomette used to be called a bedroom. (Maybe they are still officially called that, but I doubt that if you call Amtrak reservations and ask for a bedroom that they will say "Do you mean a roomette or bedroom?")

I think you may want to change #12 to read "The current official names ..." or something similar! ;)

Question #12 says "The official names for the sleeper compartments that Amtrak offers are ...", 2 of the answers are correct. The bedroom used to be called a deluxe bedroom, and the roomette used to be called a bedroom. (Maybe they are still officially called that, but I doubt that if you call Amtrak reservations and ask for a bedroom that they will say "Do you mean a roomette or bedroom?")
I think you may want to change #12 to read "The current official names ..." or something similar! ;)
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely thought about this when writing the quiz. I decided to keep things simple and not add extra words that might confuse the matter. When I ask for "the official names" I think it's understood that I'm asking for current official names, not the past ones. As listed on the Amtrak website, the official names for the sleeper compartments are: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...90&ssid=142

Plus, this is something of a trick question designed to trip up old-timers. :) Adding "current" would just give it away.

Latest results from the general population:

amtrak_quiz_results.jpg

About what I expected. The test seems to be working well. :)

As for the CEO-- I doubt that HE knows 100% of Amtrak's operations. No offense intended, but he's got so much other stuff bouncing around in his head that the last thing he wonders about is the "private stock" question.
I absolutely agree. Do you have a better suggestion for the top category, and a picture to go with it?
"Complete and Total Foamer" lol...

I got 88% which makes me an alleged "expert" (not sure about that). One question I guessed about was relative to sexual activity. What is the correct answer (just curious)?

I got 88% which makes me an alleged "expert" (not sure about that). One question I guessed about was relative to sexual activity. What is the correct answer (just curious)?
I had the same score and wondered the same thing.

While I am sure nobody wants it, I have never seen anything that says you can't engage in "activity" of that sort in your own private compartment..

While I am sure nobody wants it, I have never seen anything that says you can't engage in "activity" of that sort in your own private compartment..
Preferably with someone one else in the room! :eek:

96%, but I'm hardly an expert, and the description gives me more credit than I deserve.

I was expecting questions like, "On what train number did the P42 make its first appearance?" or "What is the axle spacing on a Superliner I bogie?" To both of those, the correct answer is, "Uhhhhhhhh..."

96%

Nice quiz. However, I resent the idea that being knowledgeable about Amtrak makes me a gadget geek. (just kidding)

I got a 92% Neat quiz. As for picture ideas for the CEO that one is easy just get a picture of the CEO. for the won't be caught dead you could use someone waiting in an airport security line.

Does this quote from Amtrak.com count or have any effect on the question? "Trained service animals must be kept under the control of their owners or trainers at all times. We permit no other animals onboard at any time." :lol:

92% for me... by trial and error I determined that I missed the "Sexual Activity in the sleeping car" and Seat Pitch questions on my first pass.

Turns out there is no prohibition on such activity... although I am sure your neighbors would be a bit annoyed.

On the seat pitch question... I initially picked "no" as it seems to me that the seat pitch on every train I have been on has been significantly better than even business class on the airlines.

I got 96%, "railfan" and I love the accompanying picture - that's a riot, where is it from?

I only know anything from reading here and all the knowledgeable people here. I think I got wrong about the fatality rate, and also with a sleeper ticket, do you get all three meals or only breakfast and dinner? Not sure about that.

I cheated on the "how many destinations served" question, I went out to the kitchen and looked at my big amtrak system poster sized wall map. I guesstimated 500, is that even right?

Oh and the speed question too, I remembered the Acela and put 150, is that right?

Cool quiz but I was confused at the end and almost let it go rather than sign up. I did go back a page and leave it blank and got the results that way.

[ Based on your final score, you are placed in one of the following categories:
-Won't be caught dead on Amtrak (You'd REALLY have to half-ass the test, skipping a lot of questions, to get this)

-

I love the picture that accompanies the above category! :lol: I "took" the quiz again and didn't answer any questions and so of course scored a zero. And I like your description too!!!! :lol:
I did the same, and then I noticed this on the results screen:

You scored 0% on Amtrakology, higher than 2% of your peers.
Now I'm wondering: who on earth did so badly on the test as to get a NEGATIVE score?! :p

On the seat pitch question... I initially picked "no" as it seems to me that the seat pitch on every train I have been on has been significantly better than even business class on the airlines.
Well, typical U.S. domestic first-class cabin pitches are as follows:

Alaska: 36-37"

American: 40"

Continental: 38"

Delta: 38-40"

Northwest: 34-37" (yikes!)

United: 38"

US Airways: 36-38"

Typical international business-class cabin pitches are as follows:

American: 57-60"

British Airways: 73"

Cathay Pacific: 78"

Continental: 55"

Delta: 44"-60"

Emirates: 46-79"

Lufthansa: 57-60"

Northwest: 60"

Singapore: 51-58"

United: 74-77"

US Airways: 55"

According to http://www.texaseagle.com/coach.htm, Amtrak long-distance coach cars feature a seat pitch of about 50-52".

That's comparable to the low-end of international business-class seats and well above domestic first-class seats (domestic "first" class is really mis-named; at the most, domestic first class is equivalent to the premium economy seats on airlines which feature four-class cabins, such as British Airways with their 38" World Traveller Plus seats and Qantas with their 38" Premium Economy section--even the Prem+ premium economy seats I flew in on OpenSkies last fall had 52" of pitch and were EXTREMELY comfortable).

So I think that, technically, the quiz is accurate in that Amtrak's LD seats roughly correspond with business-class seats. I think the biggest failure in understanding is the fact that most Americans aren't familiar with what a business-class seat is (since they're only offered on international flights) and don't realize that business-class seats are actually better than domestic first-class seats.

Perhaps the question could be rephrased to indicate that either Amtrak's LD seats feature more seat pitch than domestic first-class seats or feature a comparable seat pitch to international business-class seats. Perhaps clarifying between domestic and international would reduce confusion.

I got 96%, "railfan" and I love the accompanying picture - that's a riot, where is it from?
I only know anything from reading here and all the knowledgeable people here. I think I got wrong about the fatality rate, and also with a sleeper ticket, do you get all three meals or only breakfast and dinner? Not sure about that.

I cheated on the "how many destinations served" question, I went out to the kitchen and looked at my big amtrak system poster sized wall map. I guesstimated 500, is that even right?

Oh and the speed question too, I remembered the Acela and put 150, is that right?

Cool quiz but I was confused at the end and almost let it go rather than sign up. I did go back a page and leave it blank and got the results that way.
SPOILER FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T TAKEN THE QUIZ:

You're pretty much on the right track. The fatality rate is second highest--slightly higher than domestic airline travel. This link shows a table with the exact stats. (Also note that the fuel consumption of a train per passenger mile is about 2/3 that of an airline! And it's interesting that Amtrak receives more revenue per passenger mile, too...)

You did guess right on the number of destinations and speed questions. :)

I agree: it's strange that if you put any info on that second-to-last page, you're forced to sign up for the service before seeing your results, but if you leave it blank, it takes you right to the results. Are there any similar quiz sites which aren't as confusing (and maybe aren't geared towards people looking for love :D )?

That was a fun test- 96% for me and the comment regarding my score was pretty accurate! Though I don't always carry a scanner, I do more often than not!

Can we get a photo of Whooz in a fez for this? :lol:

Can we get a photo of Whooz in a fez for this? :lol:
Sounds like it would work.

SPOILER FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T TAKEN THE QUIZ:You're pretty much on the right track. The fatality rate is second highest--slightly higher than domestic airline travel. This link shows a table with the exact stats. (Also note that the fuel consumption of a train per passenger mile is about 2/3 that of an airline! And it's interesting that Amtrak receives more revenue per passenger mile, too...)
The only problem is that the results in that table would appear to be wrong, at least regarding the fatality rates. The source that Wiki states for its stats does not break out Amtrak from other forms of rail, yet Wiki is claiming that .3% is the Amtrak rate. It's not, it's the rate for any form of rail transpo.

SPOILER FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T TAKEN THE QUIZ:You're pretty much on the right track. The fatality rate is second highest--slightly higher than domestic airline travel. This link shows a table with the exact stats. (Also note that the fuel consumption of a train per passenger mile is about 2/3 that of an airline! And it's interesting that Amtrak receives more revenue per passenger mile, too...)
The only problem is that the results in that table would appear to be wrong, at least regarding the fatality rates. The source that Wiki states for its stats does not break out Amtrak from other forms of rail, yet Wiki is claiming that .3% is the Amtrak rate. It's not, it's the rate for any form of rail transpo.

I enjoyed the quiz- took it twice!! First time was 76% second was 89%, even with guessing on some of the questions!

I guess I'm a railfan!!! WHOO HOO!!!! :lol: My hubby will be shocked! All the reading & research & questions I ask must be why I got such good scores!! I'm glad I found this forum, because with all this info, it just adds to the anticipation to our trip!!

Thanks for the quiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back