Test of Amtrak knowledge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either. But then I just hit "back", and since the info is optional I left everything blank and when I hit "enter" (or whatever it is) - I got the results!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you guys are enjoying the quiz! I have no control over the page that requests personal info (this is something that HelloQuizzy, the host website, puts in), but it is clearly stated that it's optional, and, as many of you figured out, you can leave everything blank. What about the questions being asked? Does everything make sense, and are these good questions? Suggestions for revisions are welcome.

96%! :D

I cheated on one question: how many destinations Amtrak serves. It was in the first paragraph on the Amtrak Wikipedia page. (I think I would have guessed the correct answer anyway.)

I'm thinking I may have gotten question #24 wrong, but unfortunately, that quiz site doesn't show you which questions you got wrong. :(

Nice test, though!

96%! :D
I cheated on one question: how many destinations Amtrak serves. It was in the first paragraph on the Amtrak Wikipedia page. (I think I would have guessed the correct answer anyway.)

I'm thinking I may have gotten question #24 wrong, but unfortunately, that quiz site doesn't show you which questions you got wrong. :(

Nice test, though!
Answer to question #24: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak#Rail_p...sus_other_modes

By the way, if you think you got a particular question wrong, you can always click back and change the answer. :)

Three answers in the quiz are almost but not completely correct.

- On long distance trains, meals are served in the dining car but can also be served in your sleeping car room or at your coach seat upon request.

- The Palmetto (New York to Savannah) is classified by Amtrak as a "Long Distance" train and does not carry sleeping cars.

- The correct name is "Acela Express", not just Acela.

Nice quiz. Well researched. And, I got 100% without cheating!

Got 92% correct. Any way to tell what was missed?
Same here, 92% I know I missed the one about the rate of passenger deaths but don't know the other one. I guess I'll have to take the quiz again and put down a different answer to the one or two other questions I wasn't sure about.

Ok, figured out the other one I missed---the top speed of Amtrak trains. I guess since I've never ridden the Acela nor have been anywhere near where it runs, for that matter, I forgot all about it. :unsure:

Three answers in the quiz are almost but not completely correct.
Nice quiz. Well researched. And, I got 100% without cheating!
Thanks! I changed the questions in response to your feedback:

On long distance trains, meals are served in the dining car but can also be served in your sleeping car room or at your coach seat upon request.
I changed "served" to "typically served"

The Palmetto (New York to Savannah) is classified by Amtrak as a "Long Distance" train and does not carry sleeping cars.
I rephrased the question as follows: "Amtrak trains that have sleeper compartments are called..." That way, as long as all Amtrak trains that have sleepers are classified as long-distance, it should be good.

The correct name is "Acela Express", not just Acela.
Yep, I thought that "Acela Express" was a holdover from the dark and confusing times when there was also an "Acela Regional" and "Acela Commuter" and everyone just called it "Acela" nowadays. You're right, though, the official Amtrak name is still "Acela Express."

By the way, if you like the quiz, please rate it! If it has a high rating, a lot more people will end up taking it, which will hopefully promote Amtrak and rail travel.

100%. I'd say make it harder for the real Amtrak buff's like us. Maybe past routes, what type of equipment is used on different trains etc.
This test is meant for the general population, you guys are just my guinea pigs. :) Thus, there's a variety of questions of varying difficulty. Based on your final score, you are placed in one of the following categories:

-Won't be caught dead on Amtrak (You'd REALLY have to half-ass the test, skipping a lot of questions, to get this)

-Potential passenger

-Occasional Passenger

-Frequent Passenger

-Railfan

-Amtrak CEO

Not surprisingly, it seems everyone here has been getting "Railfan" and "Amtrak CEO." For the few "general population" people who've taken the test so far, the scores are somewhat lower. :)

Maybe I'll get around to making a harder test specifically for train buffs.

[ Based on your final score, you are placed in one of the following categories:
-Won't be caught dead on Amtrak (You'd REALLY have to half-ass the test, skipping a lot of questions, to get this)

-

I love the picture that accompanies the above category! :lol: I "took" the quiz again and didn't answer any questions and so of course scored a zero. And I like your description too!!!! :lol:

[ Based on your final score, you are placed in one of the following categories:

-

I love the picture that accompanies the above category! :lol: I "took" the quiz again and didn't answer any questions and so of course scored a zero. And I like your description too!!!! :lol:
Thanks! I thought it might be a bit in poor taste, but put it up there anyway. As far as I know, no one actually died in that particular derailment, so it's all good. :)

Me either. But then I just hit "back", and since the info is optional I left everything blank and when I hit "enter" (or whatever it is) - I got the results!
OK, so I listened to your response but was hesitant at first to try again. Figured that I might be scar'd for life by getting a low score! But I did manage to gather enough courage to try again like you described, and low and behold... I got a 92. I'm happy to say that my confidence is still intact! :lol:

There was one question I found to be lacking. It was question #12 "The official names for the sleeper compartments that Amtrak offers are." What was lacking was the inclusion of the "H" room. No big deal but thought I'd mention it for the sake of feedback to the OP!

Speaking of photos: does anyone have ideas for better pictures for any of the results categories. Right now, they are:
Won't be caught dead on Amtrak

Potential rider

Occasional rider

Freuquent rider

Railfan

Amtrak CEO

I'd particularly like to replace the "Railfan" photo with something better. Maybe someone would like to contribute a photo of themselves on a train with a scanner, maps, GPS, and other railfan accessories?
Amtrak-Joe took this quiz too? How'd you manage that one :p

As for the CEO-- I doubt that HE knows 100% of Amtrak's operations. No offense intended, but he's got so much other stuff bouncing around in his head that the last thing he wonders about is the "private stock" question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back