Texas Eagle Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
What should I expect the line-up to be this summer on the Texas Eagle?

How are the through cars handled in San Antonio, and where will they end up in the combined Sunset consist?

Most importantly, what kind of dining and lounge cars are to be expected on the two legs?

Thanks

The through sleeper is at the front of the consist with the transition sleeper and diner-lounge, and the through coach is (I think) the last car on the train. This makes for a few more complicated switching moves, compared to a couple of years ago when both the through coach and sleeper were together.

The through cars are put on the back of the Sunset.

As noted, the Texas Eagle has a diner-lounge. It also has a Sightseer Lounge, which the timetable claims is unstaffed (with all food-service being handled out of the diner-lounge, offering "all-day" service as it was designed), however, based on my experience last fall, in reality, the diner-lounge was only open during normal dining car meal periods, and the Sightseer Lounge was staffed with its normal array of cafe car items.

Sunset Limited had a normal dining car and sightseer lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
The through sleeper is at the front of the consist with the transition sleeper and diner-lounge, and the through coach is (I think) the last car on the train. This makes for a few more complicated switching moves, compared to a couple of years ago when both the through coach and sleeper were together.
The through cars are put on the back of the Sunset.

As noted, the Texas Eagle has a diner-lounge. It also has a Sightseer Lounge, which the timetable claims is unstaffed (with all food-service being handled out of the diner-lounge, offering "all-day" service as it was designed), however, based on my experience last fall, in reality, the diner-lounge was only open during normal dining car meal periods, and the Sightseer Lounge was staffed with its normal array of cafe car items.

Sunset Limited had a normal dining car and sightseer lounge.
Haven't been on the TE in a while. Is the CCC crew still getting off/on in Austin? Does the lounge attendant go all the way to San Antonio or does he de-train with the CCC crew?

I just rode on it the other day. It was P-42, Dorm, Sleeper, CCC, Lounge, two coaches. On Sunset Limited days, it has 3 coaches. Not sure why they put the sleeper in front to have to take it out of the consist and tack on back of the coach. For awhile they would put the sleeper in back. And I remember even before that they had two sleepers. One in front and the one in back for through service.

Yeah, lounge is staffed like normal. They do go all the way to San Antonio unlike the diner staff. And the CCC is only open during meal times. They just use that smaller seating area for crew seats. They don't really let anyone sit there. Gotta sit in the lounge.

Betcha it facilitates turning the train as the CONO. I've seen lounges on that train on YouTube. I think they are interlined, or something to that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Betcha it facilitates turning the train as the CONO. I've seen lounges on that train on YouTube. I think they are interlined, or something to that effect.
Does it still turn as the CONO? Do they take out the Lounge then? I don't really know. Haven't been on the CONO for almost a year though and it didn't have a lounge.

How long does all of this take?

When I was on the Sunset some years ago, I totally slept through San Antonio. I'm not sure that I could do it with cars coming off both sides.

How long does all of this take?

When I was on the Sunset some years ago, I totally slept through San Antonio. I'm not sure that I could do it with cars coming off both sides.
You would have loved it when Amtrak hauled beer in express cars. The TE brought it out of St. Louis (I think it was Budweiser) and tied it on to the Sunset at San Antonio bound for LA. We had left NOL with three engines; usually we had two at the time. I figured out why when we arrived in SAS; there were 15 cars of beer waiting to be tacked on to the hind end. Seven cars had missed the connection days earlier so we had two shipments. Talk about holding on to your coffee in the diner going over hills and humpbacks!

From what I saw in the Chicago yard this afternoon (after 21 would have left), the City of New Orleans and Texas Eagle do not share equipment anymore (I saw 22's equipment that just came in, plus the equipment getting ready to leave as 59).

I was on the Eagle southbound on 3/13, St Louis to San Antonio, and it had a diner (regular diner, not a CCC) and a sightseer lounge. I was on the northbound on 3/21 from San Antonio back to St Louis, and it had a CCC and a sightseer lounge.

I'm on it right now. It has a CCC and a staffed Sightseer handling snacks. And yes the dining car staff boards at AUS.
So, what's the menu?
Most of the normal stuff is on there, plus the special was ribs, which is what I had. They weren't the best, as they didn't exactly fall off the bone like they're suppose to but ok for Amtrak. A little on the tough side. Difficult to cut too, especially on plastic plates that slide everywhere.

I'm on it right now. It has a CCC and a staffed Sightseer handling snacks. And yes the dining car staff boards at AUS.
So Amtrak told me (though I don't think they know what they're talking about), that the TE has a CCC and a dining car, that the CCC is simply the "cafe car" but meals are served in a separate dining car, sit-down, table service. Can this be clarified?

So Amtrak told me (though I don't think they know what they're talking about), that the TE has a CCC and a dining car, that the CCC is simply the "cafe car" but meals are served in a separate dining car, sit-down, table service. Can this be clarified?
As I understand it, it has a CCC car that performs as a dining car and there is also a separate sightseer lounge.

As I understand it, it has a CCC car that performs as a dining car and there is also a separate sightseer lounge.
A CCC (Cross Country Cafe) is capable of acting as both a dining car and a cafe car at the same time, which is what it does on the City of New Orleans. One end of the car is the cafe, the rest of the car functions as the dining car.

In the case of the Texas Eagle and the Capitol Limited, those two trains don't get a normal Superliner dining car. They both get a CCC. However, unlike the City of NOL, the CCC functions only as a dining car. The cafe end either goes unused, or if there is enough crew and enough demmand, the cafe end can also be used as a dining car area.

The Sightseer Lounge functions as the cafe car on the Eagle and the Capitol.

A CCC (Cross Country Cafe) is capable of acting as both a dining car and a cafe car at the same time, which is what it does on the City of New Orleans. One end of the car is the cafe, the rest of the car functions as the dining car.
In the case of the Texas Eagle and the Capitol Limited, those two trains don't get a normal Superliner dining car. They both get a CCC. However, unlike the City of NOL, the CCC functions only as a dining car. The cafe end either goes unused, or if there is enough crew and enough demmand, the cafe end can also be used as a dining car area.

The Sightseer Lounge functions as the cafe car on the Eagle and the Capitol.
I concur with Alan. I rode both the TE and CL on Saturday and Sunday, and it was exactly as he stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back