Texas Eagle Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I know this has been going on for some time, and I know its been discussed before on here. But I can't find it.

But I've been riding the Texas Eagle about twice a year since 2001, and there have been lots of consist changes. It was 2 locos, baggage, trans dorm, 1 or 2? sleepers, diner, lounge 3 coaches and on Sunset Limited days, another coach and a sleeper. (Maybe its always had 1 San Antonio sleeper, I can't remember).

The around 2002 or 03 it went to one loco. This makes since as the Eagle since the Eagle doesn't traverse very steep grades or rough terrain. Although I think 2 locos looks impressive. Now no baggage car, which also makes sense. But why has the sleeper been put on the rear?? This makes for quite a hike to the diner, and I really like being just one or two cars from the diner. Any reason for this? Also its been awhile since I've seen the Sunset cars attached. Are the coach and LAX sleeper tacked on the back of that sleeper as before where coach pax must pass through my sleeper to get up front? Or do they do some serious rearranging in SA?

I would answer my own question this Thursday, but of course its not a Sunset Limited day from FTW to Springfield so I won't be able to see how they do it.

Happy Rails :)

You answered your own question. Putting the through coach and sleeper on the rear makes switching easy in San Antonio. This is particularly useful when one or the other train is running late (imagine how much delay there would be if you had to make all those switching moves before the train could leave).

The sleeper is on the rear on non-Sunset days simply for consistency.

However, on the Sunset Limited, there shouldn't be an occasion for a coach passenger to walk through a sleeper to get to a dining or lounge car. The only time this happens on the Texas Eagle is when they put the extra coach on the back between Chicago and St. Louis.

Almost answered it. So when the Eagle leaves Chicago as 421 and 21 it has 2 sleepers, one to turn at SAS and one for LAX. On these days do they put the SAS sleeper up front or are they together on the rear along with the LAX coach? If the latter were the case, than coach pax would be walking through the SAS sleeper all the way from CHI to SAS or vise versa.

On a side story, I was riding in the LAX sleeper from CHI to FTW back in '02, and of course had the STL coach on back. I'm in room 10 and 9 in empty. A kid about my age walks through and asks if anyones in it. I say no, but you can't sit there. He shrugs me off and closes the door inside. Boy I love to be a tattle tale! I told my attendant and she just made him leave. haha

Almost answered it. So when the Eagle leaves Chicago as 421 and 21 it has 2 sleepers, one to turn at SAS and one for LAX. On these days do they put the SAS sleeper up front or are they together on the rear along with the LAX coach? If the latter were the case, than coach pax would be walking through the SAS sleeper all the way from CHI to SAS or vise versa.
Alas, no. Amtrak has cut back on the number of sleepers on the Eagle. It now runs with only one full sleeper, always on the back end regardless of whether it turns in SAS or runs through to LAX. They also sell 8 roomettes in the Trans/Dorm car or crew car, which is always up front. But that's it for sleepers on the Eagle these days. :(

On a side story, I was riding in the LAX sleeper from CHI to FTW back in '02, and of course had the STL coach on back. I'm in room 10 and 9 in empty. A kid about my age walks through and asks if anyones in it. I say no, but you can't sit there. He shrugs me off and closes the door inside. Boy I love to be a tattle tale! I told my attendant and she just made him leave. haha
Cute. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back