Texas Eagle Re-Route in Oct./Nov.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.

I'm within reach of an overnight trip but I'm not really hurting for another journey just yet.

I'm actually about to begin a TPAC trip in 24 hours or so from now and that'll probably take care of me.

That being said, if I were to chase this rare mileage where would y'all recommend to stay on the remote end?

-Chris
Chris; Longview has several Chain Motels (and Mom and Pop as well as Fast Food Restaurants) that mostly have Truck Drivers, Oil Field Workers and Tourists passing through! I cant really recommend anywhere but you can Google up one of the Travel sights like Kayak for Info! I understand from Posts here that Downtown Longview is starting to come back to Life but it's still not Austin or San Antonio! :giggle: (And as was said, Marshall might be a better Layover, the Amtrak Station (a Crew Change Stop) has a Museum inside and it's a Larger City!)

The Austin Amtrak Agent told me that theyve been told to Expect Track Work in East Texas in Oct/Nov. but havent been given any Details yet as to Detours/Bustitutions/Schedules etc. Its UP Track and Heavily Traveled by uP Freights so soon as I know something I'll Post it here! I'm ll for it because it works for me but it's not worth Flying in just to ride Rare mileage as I've said! for thoise going on a LD Ride on the Eagles it'll Work!
Jim, you are mistaken. LVW is about three times as big as Marshall. LVW is a nice place to visit. Has great symphony, oodles of shopping, both chain and indy hotels, fantastic catfish at Catfish Village, great Pizza at Pizza King, Gerardo's Mexican food, movie theaters, and bars/clubs. Marshall has a great RR museum, but not much else.

Longview is about the same size as Tyler - around 80,000 people. Marshall is smaller, but quaint. Marshall has a great pottery store that we love going to when we are in town. As for Mexican food in Longview, I HIGHLY recommend Posados in Triple Creek off of Judson.

There used to be a Walmart next door. Then it became a Bud's - where all the returns to Wal Mart were pillaged and resold. That lasted all of about a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
****UPDATE**** Re-Route of the Texas Eagle #22/#422 in Texas!!!!

According to a Post on trainorders from Gene Poon (a Reliable Source) The Detour of the NB Texas Eagle #22/#422 will begin October 14th ( I'll miss it by 2 days, I leave on the 12th for CHI!! :( ) and run until Nov. 22!! the Detour will be from Taylor to Longview via the Old MoPac Eagle Route (now UP) through Hearne, Palestine, Milano and into Longview! Then it will continue north to Chicago via the Regular Eagle Route! Train #21/#421 will NOT be effected since it Runs through the Trackwork Area before the Track Ganfgs start their Work each Day! It's not mentioned but this means that all north Bound Eagle Passengers from Temple, McGregor, Cleburne, Ft. Worth, Dallas and Mineola will have to be Bustittuted to Longview to catch #22/#422! In the Case of South/West Bound #21/#421 Passengers, since the Train will be running from LGV-SAS on the Regular Route, No Bustitution will be Necessary!

Looks like I'll need to make an AUS-LRK Trip on #22/#422 and do a Turn on #21/#421 back to AUS when I return from the Gathering! (Double Points too with the Extension to Nov. 22 that AGR Announced! :) :) :) )

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to do a certain thing brought to you by the letter "F" in order to make this work, since if I did this on a Monday I'd be back home Wednesday evening.

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to do a certain thing brought to you by the letter "F" in order to make this work, since if I did this on a Monday I'd be back home Wednesday evening.
If you wanted to do the Three /Four Letter Word that begins with F, you could "F" to Austin or San Antonio on a Flight on Sunday,,Spend the Night, then Catch #22 to Chicago which arrives on Tues afternoon, then "F" back Home and be there Tuesday Night! If you ride the Cap from CHI you'd get Home on Wed. Evening of course! As Ive told others, not sure if its Worth that Much Time and Expense??

I'm actually excited about this. :D We have taken this route many times so to have a little different detour gives us something to look forward to.

So just to check is this going to be the Northbound Eagle on EVERY day between Oct 14th- Nov 22?

***UPDATE As of Sat 10/05*** Bustitution/Detour for #22/#422!!!

If you to try to Book #22/#422 on Line after Oct. 13th, Amtrak.com is Now Showing Bustitutions for Stations North of Taylor (Temple,McGregor,Cleburne,Ft. Wortn and East (Dallas and Mineola) to Longview beginning on Monday 10/14! From Longview to Chicago you can Book the Train as Usual!

#21/#421 are Shown as Trains all the Way from CHI and #22/#422 is Available as a Train from San Antonio, San Marcos,Austin and Taylor to Longview via the Hearne/Milano/Palestine Detour Every Day!

No Service Disruption or Detour Notice Yet on Amtrak.com. Surprise!!! :rolleyes: It's Only Shows up on the Booking Page when you try to Book On-Line! Looks like the Detour via East Texas is On for Texas Eagle #22/#422!!!! :)

I'd suggest Calling Amtrak and Speaking to a Live agent through Julie if Interested in this Route or Booked on the Eagles during this Time Frame!! ;)

Just as a reminder, if you are going all the way to Chicago on 22 and 422, there is a reroute between STL & CHI that may add time to the trip and alter arrival and departure time out of STL. That starts this coming week and runs for two weeks according to the email I received from Amtrak. I will be on that train on Oct 18 and Oct 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back