Texas Eagle Reservation Changes for Jan 2012--Quesions!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bustitution extends over meal hours, Amtrak will generally pass out free sack lunches to everyone on the bus.
Do even coach passengers get the free lunch?
I can't answer your question about the free lunch, but here's an experience I had.

I always travel coach...

On one of my nothbound Eagle trips, the CCC was *broken* (no water) - they made an announcement that only SC pax would be served and that the cafe was open for snacks and food.

No one around me seemed to care.

Needless to say, I was SAD.... I have to have my RR French Toast and I love eating dinner on the train.

But then, without any notice as to what they were going to do.....they fed the whole train!

I forgot what station it was but they brought pizzas, salad, cookies and I don't know what else on board (I didn't partake - I had already loaded up on crap from the cafe).

They cleared everyone out of the tables in the SSL, set up the food, and then, in an organized fashion, called in each coach car.

Considering the fact that most coach pax do NOT eat in the CCC, feeding the whole train was very generous.

The trip had been fun before that, there were a lot of nice people on the train.

The free meal gave the train a festive atmosphere, people were really happy and excited and I like that
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What if you buy a ticket after the reservations system has already been updated to show a bus bridge? Is it still OK to seek compensation of some sort? Or does Amtrak already discount trips that contain planned disruptions?
I would still definitely try it. I don't think Amtrak adjusts the fare structure in situations like that.

Besides, most bus bridges are likely to result in a substantially delayed arrival, which is in itself a valid reason to contact Customer Relations.
You are buying a three-segment journey. Chicago to Longview (train), Longview to Fort Worth (bus), Fort Worth to...wherever (train).

That's what you see when you book. Why would you expect to get any kind of compensation for receiving the exact service that you booked?

What if you buy a ticket after the reservations system has already been updated to show a bus bridge? Is it still OK to seek compensation of some sort? Or does Amtrak already discount trips that contain planned disruptions?
I would still definitely try it. I don't think Amtrak adjusts the fare structure in situations like that.

Besides, most bus bridges are likely to result in a substantially delayed arrival, which is in itself a valid reason to contact Customer Relations.
You are buying a three-segment journey. Chicago to Longview (train), Longview to Fort Worth (bus), Fort Worth to...wherever (train).

That's what you see when you book. Why would you expect to get any kind of compensation for receiving the exact service that you booked?
It looks to me like those who but tix AFTER the change was posted in Amtrak.com know what they are getting and are entitled to no extra comp. Those who bought tix BEFORE the change was posted and who (rightfully) expected a thru train ride should be given something in compensation.

It looks to me like those who but tix AFTER the change was posted in Amtrak.com know what they are getting and are entitled to no extra comp. Those who bought tix BEFORE the change was posted and who (rightfully) expected a thru train ride should be given something in compensation.
This. lol I don't expect any additional compensation when I book my reservation, simply because like people have said, I know exactly what I'm getting into...it's on my res. However if I had booked awhile back and I was assuming the entire trip was by train, and THEN they changed it...I'd expect something.

If the bustitution extends over meal hours, Amtrak will generally pass out free sack lunches to everyone on the bus.

Do even coach passengers get the free lunch?

Yep. As far as Amtrak is concerned, charter busses are the great equalizer.
Okay thanks! It might not be that great but if there's a free lunch then free is free :D Otherwise we might eat once in the CCC, just for the fun of it. If we're able to of course.

I would still definitely try it. I don't think Amtrak adjusts the fare structure in situations like that. Besides, most bus bridges are likely to result in a substantially delayed arrival, which is in itself a valid reason to contact Customer Relations.
You are buying a three-segment journey. Chicago to Longview (train), Longview to Fort Worth (bus), Fort Worth to...wherever (train). That's what you see when you book. Why would you expect to get any kind of compensation for receiving the exact service that you booked?
Oh, I wasn't expecting anything. On my itinerary this interruption is only causing me to lose a single hour of rail coach for an hour of bus coach, so no big deal. Just for the record I've never once sought a corrective voucher from Amtrak for any of their myriad of screw ups and misdeeds over the last three decades, so it's not like I'm one to go fishing for any sort of compensation I can get my hands on. I was just curious what other folks thought and I wondered if Amtrak did or did not proactively discount new sleeper tickets when they were broken up by long bus bridges.

Your new itinerary is an improvement, IMO. Getting a bedroom with private toilet, shower, and sink is much preferable to two roomettes. And sharing a roomette on the CS is a good idea. Sounds like you improved your trip, especially with the bus issues.

Do you know about Amsnag? It's a website where you can check Amtrak pricing, very helpful if you're looking for low buckets. Just google it.

I agree FunNut--this itinerary is an improvement, especially with the Coast Starlight addition. I have never been to Texas, so did want to do that trip in the wintertime on the TE to get away from the cold and snow. But it's not worth it to me when there are scheduled disruptions that could seriously affect the quality of our trip. Again, SO GLAD for this forum that I got a heads up of the bus bridge in time to change our trip to better suit us.

I agree that a bedroom is preferable to 2 roommettes. We originally went with the 2 roomettes on the TE because 2 roomettes were quite a bit less expensive than one bedroom when I made those reservations (about $150 if I remember correctly--even at low bucket.) On the California Zephyr, at low buckets, the bedroom was only $30 more expensive than 2 roomettes, so we went with that. I think there may be 3 sleepers on the CZ, so bedrooms aren't quite as much at a premium. Could that be?

The one thing I do like better in the roomettes is that you sleep in the direction of travel, rather than sideways. I'll have to see how big a deal that is in the bedroom on our trip.

I am familiarwith Amsnag--it's a great tool. I love getting sleeping accomodations at low bucket that's for sure!

Don't know what plans you've made for your overnight in Emeryville, but the Summerfield Suites (formerly Woodfin) is right by the station. You just cross a pedestrian bridge over the tracks with elevators at both ends to get from the station to the hotel. We found the hotel pleasant and very convenient for Amtrak.

If you like to watch trains, ask for a room on the east side. You'll see plenty of stuff all day long. We were on a high floor and train noise was not a problem.

I am considering staying at the Summerfield Suites. Looks really convenient to the Amtrak Station and so we won't have to rent a car but can use the BART, I hope. Now we are thinking we will stay an extra day in San Franscisco and spend one less day in LA. We have been to LA before, but not SF. We'll just pick up the Coast Starlight a day later. If anyone has any suggestions where to pick up the BART, hours it runs, etc. that would be helpful. We are thinking of doing a trolley tour and a cable car ride. Any other suggestions?

If it were me, I'd definitely stay in San Francisco rather than Emeryville. The Emeryville station isn't convenient to BART, and the area itself isn't very interesting at all. On the other hand, San Francisco is one of the greatest and most memorable cities in the world ... lots to see and do, amazing restaurants, very good public transport. There are a lot of hotel choices in downtown San Francisco that are convenient to BART as well as the SF Amtrak station (San Francisco's Amtrak station is next to the Ferry Building, and has dedicated bus connections to the trains leaving from the East Bay.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back