Texas Eagle Routing Chicago to Tucson Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In trying to set up a deluxe sleeper from Chicago to Tucson using cash, I was not offered the Eagle. But if I entered Joliet, IL to Tucson same date, I am offered the Texas Eagle.

Can someone advise why this is so and what is the work-around since I can not buy an Amtrak ticket in coach from CHI to Joliet?

By "deluxe sleeper" I guess you mean bedroom...anyway, TE bedrooms are probably booked CHI as far as Joliet.

Why? Couldn't say but, someone must have done that which locks you out for the entire route.

Have you looked into taking a METRA train from Chicago to Joliet?

And have you called Amtrak to have them doublecheck on why you can buy a ticket from Joliet to Tucson but not from Chicago?

You can't buy a local ticket from Chicago to Joliet on the Eagle as Joliet is a receive only stop. So no one could have booked just that. Probably a bug in Arrow, Amtrak's booking system. Just call AMTRAK and they can see what's up.

. . .a deluxe sleeper from Chicago to Tucson using cash,. . .
No offense meant, but this sounds like something law enforcement agencies would look for it they wanted to nab a drug mule on the way to make a buy.

No offense meant, but this sounds like something law enforcement agencies would look for it they wanted to nab a drug mule on the way to make a buy.
No offense meant, but this sounds like you know a lot about drug deals and you're trying to advise other members on how to avoid law enforcement inquires.

It's possible that someone booked (say) Miami to Joliet, and received a bedroom on the TE from Chicago to Joliet.
I was about to say that this is the only thing that made sense until I gave it a try. I drew a blank on the random day I selected. But it did offer an itinerary on the next day the cardinal runs transferring to a Lincoln service train. Not offering the Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited on the day I entered is an example of that well known published route bug.

You can do MIA-JOL on the day you want with the multi-city option; but the TE is not offered for the final segment. And since your itinerary is not a published route, AGR wouldn't/shouldn't do it either.

A room being available between JOL and Tuscon, but not CHI, is obviously a bug.

No offense meant, but this sounds like you know a lot about drug deals and you're trying to advise other members on how to avoid law enforcement inquires.
No offense meant, but all I know about this sort of thing is what I picked up on this forum.

No offense either but in many situations paying "cash" does not literally mean cash. In the Amtrak scenario, "cash" (to me) means "not AGR points".

For example, if I go to a car dealer and tell them I'll be paying cash, it means I'm not looking to finance the purchase through the dealer. It may mean I'll give them a check from my own accounts or it could mean I've arranged outside financing. It does not mean I'm literally coming in with $25,000 in hundreds.

And now really back to real topic.

No offense either but in many situations paying "cash" does not literally mean cash. In the Amtrak scenario, "cash" (to me) means "not AGR points".
For example, if I go to a car dealer and tell them I'll be paying cash, it means I'm not looking to finance the purchase through the dealer. It may mean I'll give them a check from my own accounts or it could mean I've arranged outside financing. It does not mean I'm literally coming in with $25,000 in hundreds.
I've paid $25,000 in literal cash for a car. Apparently I'm a drug kingpin and criminal mastermind. Or maybe I just live in a culture gripped by perpetual fear, ignorance, and xenophobia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on my experience traveling Amtrak, Someone has booked a bedroom into Chicago connecting the TE to go on to Joliet. Now this could be one room of people or maybe two rooms, thus they open up in Joliet. There are some who only want to travel in the sleeper, even for a short distance.

Options:

1. Call Amtrak to see if they can get you into a room that maybe doesn't occupy until later (i.e. STL), then switch in Joliet

2. As suggested, take the METRA to Joliet, then board the TE.

3. Book coach to Joliet, and the bedroom to Tucson. Then check with the conductor for open rooms to Joliet.

4. Check daily for bedroom availability because people do cancel, thus the availability can change downward for a brief time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back