Texas Eagle Sleeper(s)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
We will be returning on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio on a Friday. According to the tiemtable the Sunset Limited arrives on Thursday Evening and drops off a sleeper. Is a sleeper from the SL attached to the Texas Eagle' sleeper or is the SL sleeper the one I will be boarding in San Antonio? If it is the same one, does it mean I can board on Thursday night and not have to pay for a hotel room Thursday night?

I do believe that the a sleeper and coach is taken off the Sunset Limited and attached to the Texas Eagle, as I've been told that when I book my trip from Chicago to Tucson, I have to make sure that I book the correct train so that I am on one of those two cars, otherwise I would have to get off the train for the night and reboard in the morning. (The extra sleeper and coach car get the number 421/422 if I recall correctly)

We will be returning on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio on a Friday. According to the tiemtable the Sunset Limited arrives on Thursday Evening and drops off a sleeper. Is a sleeper from the SL attached to the Texas Eagle' sleeper or is the SL sleeper the one I will be boarding in San Antonio? If it is the same one, does it mean I can board on Thursday night and not have to pay for a hotel room Thursday night?
IF you have a Sleeper booked in the #422 Car, that is the one that the Sunset Ltd. Cuts Out in SAS, it will be attached to the end of the Texas Eagle along with one Coach. If you are booked on #22, that Sleeper is the Regular Revenue Sleeper on the Texas Eagle (or the TransDorm if you have a room in there!), it leaves @ 700AM for CHI Every Morning so you will NOT be able to spend the Night on #22, boarding is @ 6:45AM, but if booked on #422 you Will, but it Will Cost you More, Sometimes Much More, to have a Room in #422.

If I am traveling from LAX to CHI in a sleeper on the TE 422, I was

under the impression that I could stay in my room during the night.

Will that car be connected to the rear of the train going north and

will I need to walk through coach cars to reach the dining car?

I think for most pax, it's stay on or stay off. Switching is not a passenger-removing procedure. But once the process starts, obviously you can't get on or off.

We boarded the TE 422 in LAX and didn't get off until STL (other stretching my legs at smoke stops, etc) We slept thru the switching in SAS

If you are indeed booked on #422, you can stay aboard (and sleep during the stop if you wish)!
smile.gif
But if you are booked on #2 from ___ to SAS connecting to #22 from SAS to ___, then you must exit at SAS and can not re-board until after 6:30 AM (or whenever they start boarding)!
sad.gif

The OP is boarding in SAS. The answer is no, you can't board the night before, regardless of which sleeper you book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I knew I could count on this site to give me the corret answer and quickly. I have 4 nights booked in SAS and will be returning on the TE to CHI and then the Cardinal bace to CVS. Still waiting for reservations to open up for next May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back