Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking a short trip from Austin to Ft Worth soon with my two children. We have reserved coach tickets and I was worried there will not be seats together, what do they do in cases like that? I couldn't bring myself to ask someone to give up their seats. Also, is this time of year busy on a train? I know it is UT's spring break next week. I know the Austin station is closed on weekends, so where do I go to wait for the train?? Anything anyone can tell me about what to expect on the train, how long a 4.5 hr trip really takes or anything I need to know about traveling by train would SO be appreciated. I have always wanted to travel by train and my kids love the idea of a train, but I have always chickened out at last minute. This time there is NO going back. Thanks so much in advance from one paranoid mama!!

I will be taking a short trip from Austin to Ft Worth soon with my two children. We have reserved coach tickets and I was worried there will not be seats together, what do they do in cases like that? I couldn't bring myself to ask someone to give up their seats. Also, is this time of year busy on a train? I know it is UT's spring break next week. I know the Austin station is closed on weekends, so where do I go to wait for the train?? Anything anyone can tell me about what to expect on the train, how long a 4.5 hr trip really takes or anything I need to know about traveling by train would SO be appreciated. I have always wanted to travel by train and my kids love the idea of a train, but I have always chickened out at last minute. This time there is NO going back. Thanks so much in advance from one paranoid mama!!
Brandi,

Strictly speaking, there's no absolute guarantee that you'll be able to sit together, but that said, I don't think you'll have a problem for two reasons:

1). You're getting on very early into the Texas Eagle's trip. Odds are that the train will not be packed.

2). Your coach attendant should block off seats for you if you're all on the same reservation. To add to this likelihood, I would call reservations and have them put a note on the manifest that you are traveling together and would like to be seated together. If you do that, and given #1, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

-Rafi

Brandi,

You can check on the on time performance on amtrak unlimited web site. I checked it out and the TE on average was 80 minutes late into Forth Worth (from Austin) and 87 minutes, on average, late into Austin (from Forth Worth). You might want to make contingency plans if punctuality is an issue.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for the advice, I called amtrak and she did put it on the manifest. She also told me the train was midway full. So I don't know if that is good or bad.... But of course I do realize the train goes from LA to Chicago. So....

Thats not entirely accurate. The full train goes from San Antonio to Chicago.

Two cars, a sleeper and a coach, come in from LAX on that train three times a week.

I will be taking a short trip from Austin to Ft Worth soon with my two children. We have reserved coach tickets and I was worried there will not be seats together, what do they do in cases like that? I couldn't bring myself to ask someone to give up their seats.
The train staff will help you. There are only two stations prior to AUS, San Antonio and San Marcos. I would not worry about this too much.

Also, is this time of year busy on a train? I know it is UT's spring break next week. I know the Austin station is closed on weekends, so where do I go to wait for the train??
The AUS station might be 'closed' but that is only the small 30x30 inside waiting area. The train will still stop at there. Worried about weather? There are covered waiting areas.

Anything anyone can tell me about what to expect on the train, how long a 4.5 hr trip really takes or anything I need to know about traveling by train would SO be appreciated.
The trip is not all that interesting sights-wise. Take a blow-up beach ball and IF you can, get off briefly in Temple and run around with the kids (I am assuming they are younger). Other than that, spend time in the Sightseer as there are no long stops anywhere along the way.

Worried about coach, try booking a sleeper, which can sometime be had for as little as roomette: $40 each way, Bedroom $89. And those will include meals. check onboard if you can not find a good deal at AMTRAK.com

Going back from Fort Worth, try taking the TRE to Dallas, then AMTRAK from Dallas. Same coach price usually. If you upgrade, you would get TWO meals per person (Lunch and Diner) if ontime. Great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
brandi,

before we moved from austin to waterbury last year, we had done this before ourselves. the train is rarely even close to full on #22 northbound from austin, and yes, that's even when there is a lot of traffic. although there will be a fair number of students boarding during spring break, you'd be surprised how many people superliner coaches hold. you shouldn't have any problem -- we certainly never did. as for boarding on weekends, you board from the austin station; there is usually a volunteer who opens the waiting room, even though the station isn't officially 'staffed' on those days. if he/she doesn't show -- they always did when we boarded on weekends -- there is a covered overhang outside, or you can just wait in your car in the parking lot. the station itself isn't too much to crow about, but at least austin has train service.

as for being on the train, you're kids will probably love it. our two-year-old certainly did, and given little impressive scenery between austin and points north, the lounge is rarely full. the children usually enjoy seeing the countryside run by outside the huge windows, and if you have a recently refurbished lounge, there are tables upstairs for them to spread out (there are tables downstairs regardless). if you're an austin native, your kids will probably get a kick of traveling up the middle of MOPAC. take a few toys with you, but with the short trip into fort worth, it should be a fairly quick 4.5 hours. if the cost doesn't bother you, the children will probably also enjoy lunch in the dinner. i'm not sure i'd spring personally for a sleeper compartment: with more than one child a roomette will be very cramped, certainly more so than coach; a bedroom is a little pricey for the trip up to fort worth -- but, again, if cost isn't a factor, you may appreciate the privacy.

the train itself is very safe, and once you get your 'train legs' and the kids settle down, any trepidation about the trip will melt away. enjoy the trip, and let us know how it went!

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Keep in mind there is a distinct possibility that you will not have a lounge car on the train. The Texas eagle is shortly switching to simply having a Cross Country Cafe with no lounge.

before we moved from austin to waterbury last year, we had done this before ourselves. the train is rarely even close to full on #22 northbound from austin, and yes, that's even when there is a lot of traffic. although there will be a fair number of students boarding during spring break, you'd be surprised how many people superliner coaches hold. you shouldn't have any problem -- we certainly never did. as for boarding on weekends, you board from the austin station; there is usually a volunteer who opens the waiting room, even though the station isn't officially 'staffed' on those days. if he/she doesn't show -- they always did when we boarded on weekends -- there is a covered overhang outside, or you can just wait in your car in the parking lot. the station itself isn't too much to crow about, but at least austin has train service.
as for being on the train, you're kids will probably love it. our two-year-old certainly did, and given little impressive scenery between austin and points north, the lounge is rarely full. the children usually enjoy seeing the countryside run by outside the huge windows, and if you have a recently refurbished lounge, there are tables upstairs for them to spread out (there are tables downstairs regardless). if you're an austin native, your kids will probably get a kick of traveling up the middle of MOPAC. take a few toys with you, but with the short trip into fort worth, it should be a fairly quick 4.5 hours. if the cost doesn't bother you, the children will probably also enjoy lunch in the dinner. i'm not sure i'd spring personally for a sleeper compartment: with more than one child a roomette will be very cramped, certainly more so than coach; a bedroom is a little pricey for the trip up to fort worth -- but, again, if cost isn't a factor, you may appreciate the privacy.

the train itself is very safe, and once you get your 'train legs' and the kids settle down, any trepidation about the trip will melt away. enjoy the trip, and let us know how it went!

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Thanks so much for the info. I am a little less stressed at this point. Are they very strict with carry on luggage? I'm pretty sure mine meet the criteria, they are heavy, but I dont think my suitcase is 50 lbs... (hopefully)

I'm hoping the spring breakers will stay in Austin for SXSW!!! So it may make the trip back home interesting...

Thanks so much for the info. I am a little less stressed at this point. Are they very strict with carry on luggage? I'm pretty sure mine meet the criteria, they are heavy, but I dont think my suitcase is 50 lbs... (hopefully)I'm hoping the spring breakers will stay in Austin for SXSW!!! So it may make the trip back home interesting...
luggage is a different issue. austin doesn't offer checked baggage service, so everything you have has to go on the coach with you. and while sleeper attendants almost always helped us getting heavy luggage in the car, coach attendants are entirely a different story. we've had both good and bad in coach: unfortunately on the eagle, usually the latter. there is an area for luggage storage on the lower level of your coach, but if quite a few students are boarding that day and get a leg up on you during the boarding process, you may have a little difficulty making room for your suitcases.

i might recommend breaking up your traveling belongings into two smaller bags rather than one huge one. this way even if the luggage storage area is swamped, you'll find some space. of course, if you're carrying children in your arms, having a bunch of bags just makes your trip more difficult. truth is, unless you're checking your luggage through (not an option in austin), i've never seen anyone insist on weighing bags. and in austin, i don't know where they'd do that, especially if boarding is busy. you'll probably be fine. in addition, the last few runs of the eagle before we moved to snowier climes, the consist always had a coach-baggage car. and the attendant in that car never seemed to mind if we stowed our bags there so long as we promised not to forget them when we detrained. your mileage may vary, but if you run into trouble, try it once the train gets underway.

again, this is probably going to be a non-issue for you. worst-case scenario is you wrestle your bag to your seat yourself in the upper level of the coach and have someone help you load it into one of the overhead bins. the best-case scenario is that your coach attendant is helpful, there aren't too many passengers boarding in your car, and they load your luggage for you while you take the kids upstairs to get seated. it's nice when it works out, but if it doesn't, just get the kids seated and wait until everything settles down before moving your bag somewhere more convenient.

by the way, mr. lion may be correct regarding the sightseer lounge. amtrak currently has enough diner/lounge cars to cover the consists of both the city of new orleans and the texas eagle, and the switchover to the new car is scheduled for sometime in the next few months. when they do, the sightseer will be taken off. lately the diner/lounge cars have been occasional substitutes for the normal dining car on the eagle, but the lounge car was still on. perhaps alan or someone else can comment on typical consists so far this month?

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

i might recommend breaking up your traveling belongings into two smaller bags rather than one huge one. this way even if the luggage storage area is swamped, you'll find some space. of course, if you're carrying children in your arms, having a bunch of bags just makes your trip more difficult. truth is, unless you're checking your luggage through (not an option in austin), i've never seen anyone insist on weighing bags. and in austin, i don't know where they'd do that, especially if boarding is busy. you'll probably be fine. in addition, the last few runs of the eagle before we moved to snowier climes, the consist always had a coach-baggage car. and the attendant in that car never seemed to mind if we stowed our bags there so long as we promised not to forget them when we detrained. your mileage may vary, but if you run into trouble, try it once the train gets underway.
-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct
Well I'm hoping I can just stow away the suitcase in the overhead bin, it is a bit under the size limit. But I was just worried if it would be too heavy, but I can lift it over my head pretty easily so I'm guessing it is under 50 lbs....

Well I'm hoping I can just stow away the suitcase in the overhead bin, it is a bit under the size limit. But I was just worried if it would be too heavy, but I can lift it over my head pretty easily so I'm guessing it is under 50 lbs....
Unless you wish to sit on the lower level (there are some seats there), most (like 70%+) seats are on the upper level. To get up there, you need to climb a (semi) narrow and turning stairway. IMHO, the ride and views are better on the upper level, and the access to other cars is via the upper level only. So maybe you can lift the bag over your head, but you have to think about carrying it up the stairway before you even get to your seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back