The best time to make an Amtrak reservation on line?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

railpost

Service Attendant
Is it still true that the best time for making a reservation is some time in the wee hours of the morning when the computers are being updated or is that a thing of the past?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cancellations on non-paid tix automatically expire, potentially opening up space, don't know if it's 12:01AM, or later, but that was the thinking at one time

I always heard non-paid tickets were cancelled about 4 am Pacific Time. Getting that recently opened up space would be the reason for the wee hour logon. It is conceivable that the reopened space could change the bucket.

I'd figure the time for that would be earlier than 4 AM Pacific...that's 7 AM Eastern. Perhaps 1 or 2 AM Pacific which would be 4 or 5 am eastern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know from experience that 3 day advanced discounts end at midnight Pacific Time regardless of the time zone the trip is in. I learned this the hard way, losing my NARP discount as I dithered on which train option to take!

I have heard that the sleeping car room inventory is reset around 2 AM Eastern Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back