The City of New Orleans, will it be on schedule?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I am scheduled to take the city of new orleans in about 6 days from Memphis. Anyone have any updates as to how it was affected by the hurricane? I am tempted to buy a sleeper at a low bucket price ($61 from memphis to new orleans), but don't want to do it if there will be no train. Suggestions?

I haven't read the latest advisory, but as of Tuesday night, it was suspended between MEM and NOL. It all depends on damage and how ast Isaac moves out of the area as to when service will resume. Also where t moves to.

City of New Orleans: I just check the Amtrak service advisory and at this point the train is suspended Memphis-New Orleans through August 31. I would check with Amtrak in a couple of days and get status updates. In the meantime the train is running Memphis to Chicago only.

Well, I happened to think Canadian National might have something on its website. The "state of the railroad" section indicates portions of the line through McComb and Hammond are closed and there is flooding and storm surge (weather reports verify this). If I were a betting man I would say the track won't be open for a passenger train for a few days, but as I say, check back with Amtrak later.

CRAP!!!

Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak Train number 0059 from Memphis-TENNESSEE at 6:50AM on Monday September 3 and arriving in New-Orleans-LOUISIANA.

That schedule has been cancelled due to a-service-disruption. There is no alternate service available. To speak to a customer service representative about travel options such as selecting another date or destination call us at 8772319448 at your earliest convenience.

Amtrak's website now says service Memphis to New Orleans is cancelled through Sept. 3. A check of reservations availability indicates the first date bookings are accepted is Friday Sept. 7th. Interim dates are shown as 'sold out." I suppose they are not wanting to accept bookings that they might have to cancel until they know for sure when they can run.

Just saw on the news that there is a bunch of water around Slidel's train track.

I'm in NO now and trying to get out on The Crescent. We got bumped from 8/30 to 9/1 and now it's looking like 9/3.

CRESCENT: I would guess this train might start running before the City does, just because NS is always super on top of things and their causeway over the Lake is concrete and relatively new.

That being said, NS website says they haven't been able to inspect track in Miss. and Louisiana. Right now they can't get to it to inspect it!

If you can have fun in NOLA and have the time, I would stay and enjoy it! But if you are in a hurry (sorry to say) you may need to make plans for an alternate method of travel!

I cancelled my entire AGR 2 zone AGR trip (which was from New Orleans to Chicago, Chicago to LA, and LA to Seattle), and instead booked Atlanta to D.C, D.C to Chicago, Chicago to Sacramento, Sacramento to Seattle. They only charged me 2 zones due to the mess, which I think is a good deal for both of us. Not offering an alternative route is not really customer friendly. They should offer buses between these major cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cancelled my entire AGR 2 zone AGR trip (which was from New Orleans to Chicago, Chicago to LA, and LA to Seattle), and instead booked Atlanta to D.C, D.C to Chicago, Chicago to Sacramento, Sacramento to Seattle. They only charged me 2 zones due to the mess, which I think is a good deal for both of us. Not offering an alternative route is not really customer friendly. They should offer buses between these major cities.
That's really great. Good luck on the trip; I hope you have just as good a time :)

The CONO wont run to New Orleans for quiet some time. Got word from a RR buddy of mine that the tracks near the Bonnie Carry Spillway are washed away for quite some distance. I would think that they would run to Hammond La and turn while CN rebuilds the track all the way to NO. Thats what happend after Katrina.

Jake

I'm glad that you were able to make alternate arrangements for your trip..... something I had to do at the last minute last summer when the Empire Builder was suspended due to flooding in North Dakota.

FWIW - The AGR Zone boundary runs through Atlanta and it has been my experience that Atlanta-Chicago (for instance) is typically considered a one-zone trip even though you have to go into the eastern zone to connect in Washington.

UPDATE: take a look at Amtrak's website. By the way, thanks for the heads up, Jake. The Crescent and Sunset are being reinstated (that was actually pretty doggone fast on the part of NS and BNSF). The City of New Orleans remains annulled south of Memphis. Repairs have to be made on the line between Hammond and New Orleans.The last time I rode this segment (about a year ago) there were still wooden trestles. Sure wish CN would build a bulletproof bridge (concrete) like NS has Slidell to NOLA. CN is detouring freight to NOLA via Baton Rouge.

Concrete bridges are not bulletproof either. The CSX concrete bridge at Bay St. Louis MS has had to have been replaced in part at least twice since it was built.

CN (still ICRR in my mind)has two bridges across the Bonnet Carre Spillway. The one used by the City is immediately adjacent to the shore of Lake Ponchatrain with the I-10 bridge on its east side being out over the lake in this area. The other one is near but not immediately adjacent to the Mississippi River end of the Spillway. It carries their New Orleans to Baton Rouge line. Furtehr from the river but still near the west end of the Spillway is the KCS bridge across the spillway carrying their new Orleans to Baton Rouge, and on to Shreveport line. So far as I know, these are all wooden trestles. A good wood railroad bridge has nothing to ba ashamed of. Built properly, they will last at least 50 years and need next to nothing in the way of maintenance during that period.

Concrete bridges are not bulletproof either. The CSX concrete bridge at Bay St. Louis MS has had to have been replaced in part at least twice since it was built.

CN (still ICRR in my mind)has two bridges across the Bonnet Carre Spillway. The one used by the City is immediately adjacent to the shore of Lake Ponchatrain with the I-10 bridge on its east side being out over the lake in this area. The other one is near but not immediately adjacent to the Mississippi River end of the Spillway. It carries their New Orleans to Baton Rouge line. Furtehr from the river but still near the west end of the Spillway is the KCS bridge across the spillway carrying their new Orleans to Baton Rouge, and on to Shreveport line. So far as I know, these are all wooden trestles. A good wood railroad bridge has nothing to ba ashamed of. Built properly, they will last at least 50 years and need next to nothing in the way of maintenance during that period.
Those old wrought-iron riveted bridges also can, and have worked well for far more than 50 years. So long as no road salt is poured on them. And if the footings are secure.

I really like J.E.Gordon's book on Structures - why things don't fall down (ISBN 0-0306-80151-5) . The book has a lot of good info on bridge design and mis-design -- and how not to repeat the errors of the last 300 years (I live in MSP area, where there was a famous bridge failure recently)

Getting off-topic but - a decade ago in the Mississipi and Missouri floods the railroads got their bridges back on-line really, really quick. Economic incentives and preparedness.

Hoping the CN (least incentive) and the other local railroads will respond real quick to this minor damage and get on with what they do. I'm expecting they will, or have already.

CONO: now Amtrak has blocked reservations into NOLA on this train through Saturday Sept. 8, if that tells us anything.

Sadly, CN seems to be the last to restore service in these situations. I'm sure there is a severe washout, but wish they would improve their infrastructure where it wouldn't be so fragile in these storms.

I used to work for a predecessor railroad, and I hate to see the "Mainline of Mid America" be out of service for so long. Since they can run freight via Baton Rouge, they may not have an incentive to get in a super hurry.

In the meantime, I wonder if Amtrak should run the train to Jackson, MS and turn it there with a "bus bridge" to NOLA? They could do this using just 2 sets of equipment,serve breakfast southbound and dinner northbound, and have facilities to service and store the train during the layover. They would also keep more business, and the bus ride wouldn't be too bad.

CONO: now Amtrak has blocked reservations into NOLA on this train through Saturday Sept. 8, if that tells us anything. Sadly, CN seems to be the last to restore service in these situations. I'm sure there is a severe washout, but wish they would improve their infrastructure where it wouldn't be so fragile in these storms.

I used to work for a predecessor railroad, and I hate to see the "Mainline of Mid America" be out of service for so long. Since they can run freight via Baton Rouge, they may not have an incentive to get in a super hurry.

In the meantime, I wonder if Amtrak should run the train to Jackson, MS and turn it there with a "bus bridge" to NOLA? They could do this using just 2 sets of equipment,serve breakfast southbound and dinner northbound, and have facilities to service and store the train during the layover. They would also keep more business, and the bus ride wouldn't be too bad.
How about turning it in Hammond like they did aftere Katrina?

CONO: now Amtrak has blocked reservations into NOLA on this train through Saturday Sept. 8, if that tells us anything. Sadly, CN seems to be the last to restore service in these situations. I'm sure there is a severe washout, but wish they would improve their infrastructure where it wouldn't be so fragile in these storms.

How about turning it in Hammond like they did aftere Katrina?
By turning it in Hammond it would probably be too short of a window to fully "turn" the train. That would free up a consist that could maybe be serviced/inspected earlier than expected and provide a little cushion for the next week since the 6th EB consist is still in the rotation and everything is spread so thin.

Hello AU'ers,

Im booked on The CONO #58 on the 7th, Roomette #2. I just called Amtrak about 10 minutes ago to see what my options were if I had to change my reservation *better safe than sorry right?*, and Chuck *the agent* told me that the train looks like it will be departing on time, this was after he put me on hold to (I guess) verify with management?)

I just thought I would pass this along. I really should sign up for this great forum. I lurk here, but I should join and get to know everyone.

Anthony

Hello AU'ers,

Im booked on The CONO #58 on the 7th, Roomette #2. I just called Amtrak about 10 minutes ago to see what my options were if I had to change my reservation *better safe than sorry right?*, and Chuck *the agent* told me that the train looks like it will be departing on time, this was after he put me on hold to (I guess) verify with management?)

I just thought I would pass this along. I really should sign up for this great forum. I lurk here, but I should join and get to know everyone.

Anthony
Well - if you decide to sign up you can't use the name Anthony as it is already taken, by our fearless board owner. But, we'd love to have you join with another name.
rolleyes.gif

Just wanted to let you know that I did sign up, and here I am. :)

Im looking forward to my trip. Im going to see my girlfriend in Pennsylvania. This will actually be my first time in a Roomette. Roomette #2 on both CONO's haha. Im hoping this trip goes ok, despite all the flooding issues.

Chuck sounded pretty confident this morning as to 58's departing on time on the 7th, but if something does happen, the station agents in NOL can take care of me *rebooking/refund* Im pretty sure. right? This is my first trip that I have had any sort of disruption on. All of my previous trips have been smooth.

Ant

Glad to hear everything is getting back in order. I cancelled my AGR portion starting in New Orleans due to the hurricane, and AGR and priceline were both extremely nice to me. I changed my trip to Atlanta due to the mess. They let me take the route through D.C for only two zones, and they also let me go to Los Angeles instead of Sacramento (since that was my route originally from New Orleans). So now my route looks like Atlanta to D.C. to Chicago to Los Angeles to Seattle for two zones. They told me this is a one time exception due to the crazy weather and them cancelling my train. But kudos for the customer service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back