The End of the Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimer

OBS Chief
Today (June 3rd) was the first day of My and Mrs. oldtimer's full retirement. It is also an end of almost 170 years of railroading between our generation and our parent's generation. Her father started for the CB&Q in 1938, my mother started on the PRR during WWII as a fireman and oiler at the age of 15.

Robin (Mrs. oldtimer) started in Feb. of 1980 and worked in the call center in Chicago until it was closed, she then went to CUS and worked various jobs, most recently in the Metro Lounge as a janitor as it allowed her to use a commuter train as transportation. We live approximately 1/4 mile from a Metra station.

I started on the PC in May 1972 as an electrician. I worked in the coach yard at 12th street on Amtrak equipment. I was hired by Amtrak in May 1972 into a management position with my railroad experience my 4 years of aircraft maintenance experience and my BA in management. I worked various positions for Amtrak and found myself becoming more upset with the way management was going. I bid a union position and worked hands on again for many years. In 2008 I was medically disqualified (a political move) and started to enjoy not getting up a 4AM.

Robin and I hope to enjoy riding the rails in our retirement years and hope to meet more AUers!

Al & Mrs Al,

All the best to you in your retirement. I hope you enjoy many years ahead and

ride many Amtrak routes.

Al, may you both have the best of times during the joy of spending your retirement together! I hope that you & Mrs. Oldtimer get to spend a lot of time on trains and that all your travels are safe and happy ones.

Back