The new menus are here! The new menus are here!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently on the coast starlight in coach and found this menu on the seat. I am not sure if this is part of new menu change or something has been going on for a while. Last time I was on CS, this was not offered. What interesting is, this one is only for coach who like to have meal at their seat.
That is interesting - has anyone seen that before? I wonder if it's another attempt to serve food onboard without the expense of the actual dining car.

It doesn't appear to match up with any existing meals from the menu, but clearly includes a number of components from both the regular dining car and the PPC menus (with the exception of the salisbury steak, unless that's just a burger patty).

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine this is a test. And one that's going in the right direction, I think. I guess the coach attendant will have to be running back and forth to the dining car to provide the at-seat service, and that it would be a plus to have this service during only a certain window of time for each meal.

I suppose that, technically, these meals could also be served out of the microwave in the lounge car of the Silver Star.

I am currently on the coast starlight in coach and found this menu on the seat. I am not sure if this is part of new menu change or something has been going on for a while. Last time I was on CS, this was not offered. What interesting is, this one is only for coach who like to have meal at their seat.
My friend, Timothy is part of this menu, he shared this with me, and got my feed back.. He's on the train right now, so if you have any feed back or anything, let him know.

I like this change. The pricing is right, and the food at least looks decent (if not amazing.) If I was traveling coach, I'd probably get a fair amount of these meais.
That's what I told him when he asked for my feed back. Lot better than getting microwave food from the lounge car.

What an innovative idea, a Coach menu with limited choice but lower prices!It also provides Coach attendants the opportunity for tips, and to actually be present in their cars instead of being MIA like so many currently are!

Hopefully more choices might be added ( such as hot dogs, pizza or a salad/ veggie choice)!

I like this idea, Amtrak needs more of this and less nickel and dime cuts that actually accomplish nothing except p***ing off customers!

I like this change. The pricing is right, and the food at least looks decent (if not amazing.) If I was traveling coach, I'd probably get a fair amount of these meais.
That's what I told him when he asked for my feed back. Lot better than getting microwave food from the lounge car.
One area of concern is how the TAs will actually carry out this more formal at-seat meal service. Technically, this service has been available, but now it is being formally encouraged through these new menus. I hope that the TAs will embrace their increased responsibilities, seeing this as a way to help Amtrak weather its fiscal challenges. But I fear that at least some of them will view this enhancement as "just more work" and will allow this attitude to permeate the interactions with those who ask for the service. We already see this with some sleeper attendants who make it clear that delivering meals to your room is a bother and a hassle.

At-seat dining at Dining Car prices hasn't been a huge draw in coach. This menu is kind of awesome, and I suspect I will absolutely utilize it if it's available on my next coach trip on the Coast Starlight. Even better will be if the Mac'n'Cheese can be gotten at dinner, and with the chicken on the side, because picky child is picky.

I must be spoiled by AGR Points! Those prices dont seem very good for me. I've had the Mac & Cheese &, while good, it's not $10 worth of good! Just my opinion!

If this is being taken system-wide, one suggestion I have is to increase the variety of drink offerings (or at least list them on the menu.) For example, I would much rather have coffee than juice with breakfast, and I'd prefer pop or milk over bottled water for lunch and dinner. Even listing them on the bottom (with pricing information) could be a nice way to upsell those products.

Speaking of which, putting an alcohol selection at the bottom as well could be a very good upsell opportunity for Amtrak, if regulations allow.

I must be spoiled by AGR Points! Those prices dont seem very good for me. I've had the Mac & Cheese &, while good, it's not $10 worth of good! Just my opinion!
Value is increased because it includes chicken, salad, and bottled water. The kids-meal version is $7, with only a roll (or with mixed vegetables AND a roll at dinner); adding chicken, side salad, and a bottle of water for $3 more sounds good. Not that $7 for a small bowl of mac'n'cheese is some great deal, mind you.

I am on CS the return trip now. This train does not offer the at seat meal. I asked the car attendant, she said that menu is not offered on all CS trains. It's hit or miss. Bummer, I was planning to order dinner from their menu.

From Facebook, re the at-seat menu.

Timothy Corbett This is a pilot program menu. I am the team leader along with Josh Lynn.

This is an alternative to the dining car or cafe menu available at your seat. So far the passengers and crew are enjoying it and all the revenue goes the dining car, which needs it. Feel free to contact me with any suggestions or questions.

Right now, just the Starlight. Limited dates in May, should roll out to all of 14/11 in June and possibly 4/3 in July.

I think it's a good idea to test this concept, but with simplicity. To my way of thinking, it's going to be a tricky proposition carrying these "meals" between cars, especially at higher speed. To reduce the work load of the coach attendant, it might not be a bad idea to limit the hours of at-seat coach meal service. Maybe that's in the plan already?

where exactly are the new menus? the ones online look exactly same as old ones for the most part. shallot sauce changed for 3 peppercorn is about it

where exactly are the new menus? the ones online look exactly same as old ones for the most part. shallot sauce changed for 3 peppercorn is about it
The menus are on the specific trains pages (use the Routes tab at the top of the page). When you open a menu, look at the bottom of what would be the back page of the menu (usually the beverages page). You'll see AMT <initials for train> <mmyy> Example: Silver Meteor has AMT SM 0515

Yeah all i can see different is 3 peppercorn sauce on the steak instead of the shallot. Shallot probably was better.

So is this supposed to be a version of the "Express Menu" on Amtrak Food Fact or something completely different? Pretty much everything on the menu looks as if it can be made from items in the regular menu items. Amburger with sauce and no buns = salisbury steak? I know some people will complain about the price being too high etc. but the prices seem very reasonable. Especially since bottled water is included as well.

I liked the new salmon entree on the CL last week. It was very, very good. The portion was large and meaty, there was a good lemon-butter sauce served separately, it was NOT too well done, and the sides of baked potato (special request) and mixed veggies were acceptable.

The new "cheesecake" is not an improvement. The old cheesecake was a wedge of real cheesecake with strawberry syrup on top. The new "cheesecake" is a round plastic container of cheesecake-product that is strawberry flavored. Not up to par with what preceded it at dinner imo.

My 13yo was very sad about the cheesecake. My 10yo, on the other hand, LOVED the tiramisu, which she'd never heard of before. Not sure where we can duplicate packaged generic tiramisu, and I have a feeling she won't like "good" tiramisu.

13yo agrees with you about the salmon (10yo had steak at every dinner). I liked the salmon very much, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back