The new menus are here! The new menus are here!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 13yo was very sad about the cheesecake. My 10yo, on the other hand, LOVED the tiramisu, which she'd never heard of before. Not sure where we can duplicate packaged generic tiramisu, and I have a feeling she won't like "good" tiramisu.

13yo agrees with you about the salmon (10yo had steak at every dinner). I liked the salmon very much, too.
The tiramisu on Amtrak is virtually identical (=probably made by the same company) to the frozen Bertolli brand tiramisu, if you can find it. I've seen it at Kroger.

The at-seat menu seems nice, except for the following things:

-- my fiancee couldn't eat ANY of it; it's made of dairy

-- there aren't any ingredients lists available for any of it, so I can't eat any of it either.

It is the 21st century. EVERYONE has ingredients lists except Amtrak. Everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

-- there aren't any ingredients lists available for any of it, so I can't eat any of it either.

Really EVERYONE?? Try going to couple of your local small businesses and try asking for an ingredient list and see what they say.

Really EVERYONE?? Try going to couple of your local small businesses and try asking for an ingredient list and see what they say.
Obviously, I've actually done this at every small business which sells food in town. *I had to*. Don't talk smack if you don't know what you're talking about. They're all *extremely* polite and helpful.

Businesses will occasionally have one or two products for which they don't know the ingredients -- restaurants which get bread from local bakeries seem to be the worst, since I often have to call the bakery. They know the name & phone number of the bakery and the bakery knows the ingredients, however.

"Seat38a"--I don't know whether to thank you for posting that picture of the "cheesecake" or to cry!

Yes, that is it, in all it's glory.

As someone once said, a picture is worth 1,000 words.

I tried the strawberry cheesecake my last trip. I have to admit I liked it. It's not pretty, but, meh....I liked it.

I noticed a change to all the Dining Car menus. Amtrak is no longer including the beverages, Juice and Coffee with breakfast entrees, choice of coffee, tea or milk, with Lunch and Dinner entrees. It won't affect me as I get these drinks included as a sleeping car passenger but it will add to the bill for coach passengers who pay extra to eat in the dining car. I think its a bad move, the wrong way to raise prices and will probably wind up losing money for the dining car by discouraging coach passengers to eat there.

Are all the old menus out of rotation yet?On the CL 3 weeks ago one of the four menus on the table was the old one, thus they couldn't charge for breakfast drinks or omelet cheese.

"Seat38a"--I don't know whether to thank you for posting that picture of the "cheesecake" or to cry!

Yes, that is it, in all it's glory.

As someone once said, a picture is worth 1,000 words.
Here is the PPC version, served with whipped cream. I've noticed presentation is all over the place. In the container, out of the container.

DSC00097 by Brian H, on Flickr

My 13yo was very sad about the cheesecake. My 10yo, on the other hand, LOVED the tiramisu, which she'd never heard of before. Not sure where we can duplicate packaged generic tiramisu, and I have a feeling she won't like "good" tiramisu.

13yo agrees with you about the salmon (10yo had steak at every dinner). I liked the salmon very much, too.
The tiramisu was ok. Here is the PPC version.

DSC00098 by Brian H, on Flickr

I really wish they would bring back some sort of chocolate cake or pie for dessert as an option.

I see grits returned to the menu. That means it is time for:

I don't apologize for this. Someone had to do it. ^_^

I noticed a change to all the Dining Car menus. Amtrak is no longer including the beverages, Juice and Coffee with breakfast entrees, choice of coffee, tea or milk, with Lunch and Dinner entrees. It won't affect me as I get these drinks included as a sleeping car passenger but it will add to the bill for coach passengers who pay extra to eat in the dining car. I think its a bad move, the wrong way to raise prices and will probably wind up losing money for the dining car by discouraging coach passengers to eat there.
This was a bit annoying on the trip since we had to be explicit on everything we wanted. Don't expect to be served salad or bread unless you "EXPLICITLY" state that you want to start with them.

This was a bit annoying on the trip since we had to be explicit on everything we wanted. Don't expect to be served salad or bread unless you "EXPLICITLY" state that you want to start with them.
A salad was brought to me on the Cardinal w/o my asking. I told him to take it back because I was not going to eat it and did not want to waste it.

A salad was brought to me on the Cardinal w/o my asking. I told him to take it back because I was not going to eat it and did not want to waste it.
Inconsistency was the name of the game this last trip. CS Dining Car, CS PPC, EB Dining Car all had their way of doing things.

I tried the strawberry cheesecake my last trip. I have to admit I liked it. It's not pretty, but, meh....I liked it.
As one chef told me: "The eyes eat first". In other words, presentation is important, and that poor cheesecake is sight for sore eyes. :)

I think it all depends where you're starting from. If your reference point is a slice of dense, moist ricotta cheesecake from an Italian pastry shop, or the type of rich New York style cheesecake you get for dessert in a classic steakhouse or a NYC deli, I don't think Amtrak's new industrial-cheesecake-product-served in a plastic container is going to float your boat. Especially after you've just finished your nice Amtrak steak dinner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back