The Vermonter baggage car 1801

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently in the process of building an HO scale model of the Vermonter 1801 baggage car. The pictures that I find on the internet show the same side with one set of 2 sliding doors on the left and a one-window sliding single door on the right. Are both sides the same? Are the double doors across from each side and single door the same on the opposite side? I was possibly thinking the doors were switched on each side. I am attaching a picture1801 vermonter 2.jpg. Does anyone know the age of this car? I found a similar model like an old Santa Fe Blue Goose. I just have to do some work on the doors.

If I remember (ha!), I’ll see if I can dig up some old photos from the early 2000s where I may have snapped a pic of this car.

Thanks, Trogdor
I had one more question if you don't mind. Where these particular baggage cars painted a primer color? I know these cars come from heritage fleets that were painted with different road names at one time. I've seen some of these older baggage cars that had a stainless sheen. I noticed the exterior is very dull compared to an Amfleet car.

The stainless sheen cars are slab side Budd cars. You can apply paint to them which changes the appearance. UP, MP, GN, NP all had slab sided Budds.

This car is not a Budd and doesn’t have slab sides hence the difference.

The stainless sheen cars are slab side Budd cars. You can apply paint to them which changes the appearance. UP, MP, GN, NP all had slab sided Budds.

This car is not a Budd and doesn’t have slab sides hence the difference.
Hi Seaboard, how are you? This particular car is a St. Louis according to the old Amtrak books. I found this out over the weekend. These were painted silver and now faded with a chalky primer finish. I've seen some pictures of them with rust along the side running between the two doors. Stainless does not rust. I know there were some that were actually stainless with the corrugated sides.

Hi Seaboard, how are you? This particular car is a St. Louis according to the old Amtrak books. I found this out over the weekend. These were painted silver and now faded with a chalky primer finish. I've seen some pictures of them with rust along the side running between the two doors. Stainless does not rust. I know there were some that were actually stainless with the corrugated sides.

If you have the reporting mark it has now I can see if I can find the owner for you. They might be able to help you with modeling it. Stainless doesn’t rust hence you don’t see Budd cars rusting. And the slabs I believe are a stainless.

But this car is definitely a Pullman Standard, or an American Car & Foundry car.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm sure it is a St.Louis car. I'll probably see this guy that had the book this weekend. The book was from the '70s. It had baggage cars from all eras.I will let you know the exact numbers that were originally on this car

Back