The Worst Amtrak Stations Youve Actually Seen?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a flag stop, so It really doesn't need any services, just a roof to shelter maybe 10 or 20 people a month. Its also in the desert, so not much shelter needed there.
There were 1,064 passengers in 2008, which is an average of 3.5 per train (six trains a week). For what it's worth, whenever I've been on the SL/TE, we've always stopped at BEN and LDB. Lordsburg is just 393 for the year.

Benson has a replica train station nearby, but it's only used as a visitors center. It's not open when the trains arrive/depart.

Thats a flag stop, so It really doesn't need any services, just a roof to shelter maybe 10 or 20 people a month. Its also in the desert, so not much shelter needed there.
There were 1,064 passengers in 2008, which is an average of 3.5 per train (six trains a week). For what it's worth, whenever I've been on the SL/TE, we've always stopped at BEN and LDB. Lordsburg is just 393 for the year.

Benson has a replica train station nearby, but it's only used as a visitors center. It's not open when the trains arrive/depart.
Is this the "replica train station"?

Benson_station.jpg

Palm Springs, CA - It's pretty bad. it located in the middle of nowhere. (I have seen)

Maricopa, AZ - no connection to Phenix, AZ. (I have not seen but I heard it's bad.)

Yes, that's the visitor's center. There are some covered chairs on the other side of the center. The original station was torn down in the 1970s.

I haven't been inside it yet, but the Maricopa station is a prefab building. There's also an old dome car on static display. I believe that was used initially as a station building, but it was probably too cramped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Palm Springs, CA - It's pretty bad. it located in the middle of nowhere. (I have seen)
10296158-56eb-4c12-bdd1-67771d9ddced.jpg

Palm Springs Amtrak station (sometimes called North Palm Springs).

Maricopa, AZ - no connection to Phenix, AZ. (I have not seen but I heard it's bad.)
Link to photo of Maricopa station and dome car (a bit large, so I'm just creating a link to it for the benefit of those on dial-up or other slow connections).

Posting and bloggin is one thing, just curious though. How many of our posters have actually taken the time to DO something about the AmShack or even deteriorated station in their town. I'm DEF not preaching, cause it's been YEARS since I did anything, but I've seen some pretty impressive "re-habs"/improvements that local civic leaders/fans/citizens have done participated in. Problem is there is just soooooooo many candidates (small town usually) to "fix".....

While the closed train station at Kingman, AZ looks nice, I really wish someone would take pictures of the storefront that's used as a waiting room. No - it's not in the old Amtrak station. It's in an old storefront about 1/2 a block from the tracks. Chairs falling apart, one dirty washroom with a lock that doesn't work, the whole building should have been torn down years ago. It's filthy and disgusting. An Amshack would be a tremendous improvement.

While the closed train station at Kingman, AZ looks nice, I really wish someone would take pictures of the storefront that's used as a waiting room. No - it's not in the old Amtrak station. It's in an old storefront about 1/2 a block from the tracks. Chairs falling apart, one dirty washroom with a lock that doesn't work, the whole building should have been torn down years ago. It's filthy and disgusting. An Amshack would be a tremendous improvement.
Ouch, its bad when you say an amshack is an improvement.

When I have looked in at Kingman during the past few years, it was dingy and nothing to rave about, but looked halfway decent. It would be far better to have the old station reopened, but who knows. I have been less than impresed by what I have seen at Needles, an outfoor waiting area next to the UP office. I don't like Needles, period - Kingman is a fairly nice town.

Fullerton CA has a nice building,but lately, the benches have ben overrun by people who live at the station. They lay down a few old blankets and sleep on the benches. They have their belongings wrapped up in plastic bags and drink out of bottles wrapped up in paper bags. There is no place for passengers to wait for trains. This includes #4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fullerton CA has a nice building,but lately, the benches have ben overrun by people who live at the station. They lay down a few old blankets and sleep on the benches. They have their belongings wrapped up in plastic bags and drink out of bottles wrapped up in paper bags. There is no place for passengers to wait for trains. This includes #4.
I was there last month during day hours, want to bad, but bet things change every day.

Aloha

Pic of the old station (a bit large)

BCT is an even sadder sight today.
In the sense that it is not a working train station, yes. But the deterioration has been arrested, the building is secured against vandals and the weather, and it is a functioning event venue. Last month it hosted a classic car show, earlier this month was the "Blues, Brews, and BBQ" fest, and in a couple of weeks is the annual train show. Later next month is Oktoberfest.

So there is a long uphill climb ahead, but Buffalo Central Terminal is alive and getting better. It *is* a sad sight after its former grandeur, but too many people think the building is "abandoned" or "derelict" and that's simply not the case at all!
Great to hear that it's getting some attention. I was basing my impression on how it looks as seen from the train, not a pretty sight, abandoned platforms, canopies, express sheds...

Winter Park sucks in CO. You pretty much have a platform and then a building across the street -where a homeless guy ... The place was an abandoned building with a crappy couch in it. WIP is the worst in my book.
I think you let the bum, not to mention the UP, influenced your opinion of WIP. Sure the waiting room is across the street; but it is much closer to where you board the train than a lot of other stations; DEN for sleeping care passengers comes to mind.

The building where the waiting room is located is abandoned only in the sense that your house is abandoned when no one is home. The word that comes to mind to describe the sofas is homey. After all how many stations have sofas and easy chairs. Also there is a nice western style bar and grill only a short block away.

The lack on an agent and baggage service is a problem, but you can say that about too many stations.

Enjoying all the posts about the BEST, lets try the WORST that youve actually been to/seen?Beaumont,Texas does not count, has to be a station that is an actual stop/used by AMTRAK! :lol:

(a building in other words!LOL)

IMHO:

1)Sanderson,Texas(LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

***The next one will be "They coulda been a contender" when this one is done***
Anybody been to Kingman, AZ. Stopped and departed their once via the SWC getting to a Las Vegas Thruway connection. Pretty sad station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back