"Theater/inspection" car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
This is an odd listing I came across under the NCDOT/Amtrak car listing, but one car is rostered as a "theater/inspection" car. Any idea what NCDOT is doing with this one? Every other listed car makes some sense, but what on earth are they doing with this one?

Also...did NCDOT really own a Dome, a business car, and a diner/conference car at one point? If so, then I hate to ask this (as much of a sucker for old cars as I am), but who let all of that happen, and whatever happened to cost controls to let them in the fleet (i.e. was it a batch order, was there a special plan, etc.)?

Edit: Actually, that question sounds like the start of a bad railroad joke. "A dome car, a business car, and a conference car get onto an Amtrak consist...'"

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you see this list?

Anyway, the dome that NC owned is the Super Dome that is now owned by the Friends of the 261.

Edit: Never mind about the first question. It's on OTOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, the dome that NC owned is the Super Dome that is now owned by the Friends of the 261.
I had the pleasure of riding in the Super Dome this last May. I think the car has found a good home. Not a bad ride, and the dinner Friends of 261 served in it was a cut above most Amfood. If folks get the chance to ride in this car, I say you should go for it!

This is an odd listing I came across under the NCDOT/Amtrak car listing, but one car is rostered as a "theater/inspection" car. Any idea what NCDOT is doing with this one? Every other listed car makes some sense, but what on earth are they doing with this one?
Aloha

Along time ago, before Amtrak, Touring Shows traveled by rail. The cars had different doors and other setups to facilitate the scenery. The PRR named them Scenery Cars. When I traveled with Ice Capades we had 8 Specially modified Baggage cars for scenery. We stopped using them early in 1977. This might be one that is now converted into an inspection car.

Not only did NCDOT own a dome, for a number of years it was in regular use on the Piedmont.

As noted by others, they sold it a few years back because new FRA regulations would have required a rather extensive and expensive overhaul of the car to comply with the new safety regs. :(

I have no idea about the theater/inspection car, but I believe that NCDOT just picked up a whole bunch of cars in one sale and had to take the entire lot of cars as it were. It's also possible that they figured that as funds became available that that car and some of the others could be converted into usable coaches and/or cafe cars.

Alan,

That was the most logical guess up there, but I didn't know if they were either doing odd things or, alternatively, planning to simply gut them and use the bodies with reworked interiors (and at least nominally save on the car purchase). Stranger things have happened. Still, a bit of an amusing mix.

A number of freight railroads own "theater" cars that are used on their business/executive trains. Basically, these cars have a large picture window on one end, with theater-type seating facing the window to allow RR execs to inspect the property. I've never heard of one used on a public passenger train, but it would make an interesting addition, especially in scenic areas.

Mike, Oh my yes! I envision the NS theatre car on a Raleigh to Asheville, NC train through the Old Fort loops. The loops are Carolina's version of Horseshoe Curve. I've heard some stories from some riders of the Southern Rwy. that say the loops route is amazing.

Alan,

That was the most logical guess up there, but I didn't know if they were either doing odd things or, alternatively, planning to simply gut them and use the bodies with reworked interiors (and at least nominally save on the car purchase). Stranger things have happened. Still, a bit of an amusing mix.
or if push comes to shove, just use strip them of their bogies and other components that might help keep other cars running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back