Thing's i learned riding on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catch of the day? I've seen trains hit cattle and sheep but never any sea creatures.
Didn't the Sunset Limited fall into a bayou once?
That's one way of putting it, yes.
You are probably thinking of the barge hits bridge then train hits shifted bridge that happened in 1993 on the CSX railroad line where it passes along the north side of Mobile Bay. This is also called the Big Bayou Canot derailment. It was along the east of New Orleans portion of the Sunset Limited route that is no longer running. Also, there is no reason to avoid a train route due to an accident that happened over 20 years ago. How many roads would you have left to drive on if you avoided all roads on which there had been fatal accidents during the last 20 years?

I would never do coach on an overnight train. I value sleep, a shower, and privacy too much. When I took the CZ, there were people who went all the way from EMY to CHI in coach. I could not ever imagine doing that. Then again, it's probably all they could afford, but at that point, I'd probably just fly Spirit or Southwest.

I would never do coach on an overnight train. I value sleep, a shower, and privacy too much. When I took the CZ, there were people who went all the way from EMY to CHI in coach. I could not ever imagine doing that. Then again, it's probably all they could afford, but at that point, I'd probably just fly Spirit or Southwest.
Believe me its much more comfortable to do this trip in an Amtrak Coach than on any Bus!!!! And of course if you can get s cheap fare flying is an option but some people can't or won't fly for various reasons!
I've been on one week excursions in Coach back with the North American Rail Pass was still offered ( Amtrak and VIA ) but One night in Coach would be about all I can handle now and I wouldn't do an overnight LD Bus trip no matter how cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never do it by choice, either. Three years ago I was booked Chicago-Seattle by way of the the CZ and CS. However, the CZ was cancelled the day before I was to depart. The only alternative was to go coach to Los Angeles on the SWC. Or not at all. We (my uncle, his granddaughter, and I chose the SWC. It was doable, and might have been even more tolerable had the guy next to me not reeked of cigarettes and body odor. And had he not yakked on his fricking cell phone at all hours. I survived, but would rather not do it again. In August we three along with another of my uncle's granddaughters are going Chicago-Glacier Park by way of the SWC, CS, and EB. Bedrooms all the way. I think I will like the SWC portion of the trip much better this time :)

If I was ever forced into coach after having booked a sleeping accommodation, I'd ask for shower access and free meals, haha. That seems like a reasonable compromise.

When the sleeper I was on derailed (long story involving an ice storm), we all got moved to coach. I still got my meals comped. I didn't bother asking for a shower because I only had a few more hours (or so I thought; the train wound up being 8 hours late).

I did get a refund of the sleeper for the time I wasn't using it, and a $75 voucher for my frustration.

I actually read that as "involving an icecream" rather than "ice storm".

Had it been about icecream, may be ready to sit back and read the long story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back