Things to do in Chicago on a Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of going up one of the skyscrapers. It doesn't have to be Sear's Tower. I've been to the top (or at least near the top) of quite a few buildings including many that aren't officially open to the public. Being nice to security guards and acting like a stupid tourist (well, my British accent helps) can go a long way in opening doors to places where I shouldn't really be.

For those having an all day layover or for those resting for a night in CHI before heading West, you can buy something called a GO PASS that allows you to see attractions at a good discount. You can select specific attractions, or buy a one day all inclusive admission pass. When we visit CHI we usually buy the go pass and it has saved us money.
A one-day, unlimited rides transit authority "Fun Pass" currently sells for $5.75 and can be purchased in advance, online. Here's a link to more info:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/unlimitedridecards.aspx

Does anyone know how best to get from Union Station to the Field Museum and back, preferably using public transit? How much time should one allow for this, each way? And if a cab is the best answer, would we be likely to find one at or near the Field Museum?

Thanks to all on this thread. So many of us with layovers in Chicago....

It depends on time of day and time of year.

During the summer (Memorial Day through Labor Day), the best is the 130 bus, which boards on Jackson at the river.

Nonsummer, if during weekday rush hour, use the 28 bus (board on Canal southbound between Adams and Jackson), and exit at 11th & Columbus. At any time, you could also walk one block up to Monroe, and board the J14 eastbound on Monroe, and ride it to 11th & Columbus (in either of these cases, don't miss your stop as the next stop is several miles to the south of where you want to be). From 11th & Columbus, you can take a walkway path over to the field museum.

For direct front-door service (saves a few blocks of walking), you'll need to take a bus to State Street (anything eastbound on Jackson except the 156) and transfer to a southbound 146. You'll need to buy a transit card or unlimited-ride pass for this, as paying cash on the bus requires a separate full fare for each boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you arrive in the summer months, there is a Chicago River water taxi from the Willis Tower to Navy Pier. It takes about 15 minutes and it offers a fun perspective to see downtown and Michigan Ave is a few minutes walk from Navy Pier. A second water taxi from Navy Pier will take you to the Shedd Aquarium/Soldier Field area.

I like the idea of going up one of the skyscrapers. It doesn't have to be Sear's Tower. I've been to the top (or at least near the top) of quite a few buildings including many that aren't officially open to the public. Being nice to security guards and acting like a stupid tourist (well, my British accent helps) can go a long way in opening doors to places where I shouldn't really be.
This is true. I often recommend the Sears Tower because of its proximity to Union Station, but I actually prefer the view from the Hancock Building, especially at night. Plus, the Hancock Building has a Cheesecake Factory at the bottom. :D

There used to be a three-story Borders and FAO Schwartz directly across the street from the Hancock. I miss those.

My granddaughter and I will have a 6 hour layover in Chicago in June. We are thinking the Hancock Building would be fun to visit. We will be there on a Sunday. Is it worth it to buy the fast pass, or would a regular ticket be ok? The cost for the fast pass is 2X as much, but it might be a once in a lifetime event for us. What do you folks advise?

My granddaughter and I will have a 6 hour layover in Chicago in June. We are thinking the Hancock Building would be fun to visit. We will be there on a Sunday. Is it worth it to buy the fast pass, or would a regular ticket be ok? The cost for the fast pass is 2X as much, but it might be a once in a lifetime event for us. What do you folks advise?
There's a Fast Pass for the Hancock Building? I've never felt the need for one before so I'd be surprised if you need one now. You really only need a Fast Pass if you're visiting the Sears Tower observation deck, in which case it can make all the difference in the world. Personally I enjoy the Sears view almost as much as the Hancock view and I also enjoy the alarming emotional response you feel from stepping into a glass box that extends beyond the side of the Sears Tower.

My daughter & I did the Sears tower on a Sunday morning in 2011 and the line was relatively short.
DA, the Hancock now has The Tilt which is probably attracting a larger crowd than before.

You could also go the Hancock Building observatory, which, while not *quite* as high as the Sears Tower, I think it has the best view of Chicago, and the line isn't nearly as long. I believe it's a ten-floor difference (96th vs 106th).
Not a bad estimation Sarah for an off the top of your head guess!

FYI - As I have too been researching a layover in Chicago during June, I see that the Willis (Sears) Tower's Skydeck Chicago featuring with "The Ledge" is on the 103rd and the adult admission is $22. The Hancock Building's 360° Chicago observation deck featuring "Tilt" is on the 94th and the adult admission is $20.

In summary, for $2 more than the Hancock Building, Willis Tower is nine floors higher and less than a two block walk away from CUS. For $2 less than Willis Tower, the Hancock Building is a 2-mile walk or bus ride (routes 121, 125, 151) away from CUS.

I went up the Sears Tower back in 2000, so I am planning to visit the Hancock Building this June.

My daughter & I did the Sears tower on a Sunday morning in 2011 and the line was relatively short.
DA, the Hancock now has The Tilt which is probably attracting a larger crowd than before.
I see what you're saying but in my experience the difference in crowds between Hancock and Sears was severe enough that the increase in visitors at the Hancock would need to be fairly extreme in order for the their Fast Pass to carry a similar benefit. That being said it sounds as though Tilt only handles eight people at a time and requires a separate payment, which I hope would be included as part of the Hancock Fast Pass. If not then I'd probably just buy the basic ticket plus the Tilt ticket.

What would the taxi fare be from the station to the Hancock. Will it be the same back to the station? We will be there between our CONO 59 and EB 7, about 4 hours. That should work right?

The taxi fare would be about $10 give or take a dollar or two depending on traffic; same both directions. Btw traffic can be heavy along Michigan Ave.

A real cheap alternative would be the 151 Bus which is right outside CUS and stops in front of the Hancock building. Travel time on the bus is likely to be longer than the cab.

To answer a question asked above, I think the best way to reach the museum campus--Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium--imo is to walk to State St. from CUS (about 10 mins) and take the 146 bus south. It will drop you at the door. Of course if walking to State St. is difficult, this won't work for you. The Field Museum is awesome for kids (adults too). Expensive though--check prices. Needless to say, the aquarium and planetarium are great for kids. too.

This is true. I often recommend the Sears Tower because of its proximity to Union Station, but I actually prefer the view from the Hancock Building, especially at night. Plus, the Hancock Building has a Cheesecake Factory at the bottom.
biggrin.png

There used to be a three-story Borders and FAO Schwartz directly across the street from the Hancock. I miss those.
I arrive at 3 pm and depart at 9:30 pm On June 4, so it shouldn't be cold. I like to walk so my idea is to just walk around for several hours. Is it safe to do that after dark or are there areas I should avoid? Also, how late can you go to the top of the Hancock building?

This is true. I often recommend the Sears Tower because of its proximity to Union Station, but I actually prefer the view from the Hancock Building, especially at night. Plus, the Hancock Building has a Cheesecake Factory at the bottom.
biggrin.png

I arrive at 3 pm and depart at 9:30 pm On June 4, so it shouldn't be cold. I like to walk so my idea is to just walk around for several hours. Is it safe to do that after dark or are there areas I should avoid? Also, how late can you go to the top of the Hancock building?
You can walk around the Loop at night without worrying, especially during early evening like that. You'll be surrounded by tourists and other people out on a Saturday night. I've done it many times. It's fun to see people all dressed up for concerts, weddings, and fancy dinners. :)

You could even venture north to the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park if you feel comfortable using maps/apps and public transit.

The Hancock observation deck closes at 11:00, with the last elevator going up at 10:30. You'll be fine. :)

Well, the topic is Things To Do In Chicago on a Layover; I'm from Chicago and I have to say the interest in skyscrapers and their observation decks is something I don't entirely understand (I thought folks who like train travel want to stay on the ground!). The view may be breathtaking for several mins. but then what? Since Chicago is a first class city with first class attractions, and CUS is located in such a way that many of them are relatively close, let me suggest some alternatives. Everything is dependent on time and interests, of course, and whether kids are in tow, but consider the following:

1. If it's daytime, head to the Art Institute or another museum (including some of the small ones, Driehaus, MCA, LUMA), shop downtown or on the Magnificent Mile, or in good weather check out Millennium Park.

2. If it's mealtime, have a good lunch or dinner (and not at a creaky old diner like Lou Mitchell's). CUS is a couple of blocks from the Loop, the West Loop and Greektown, with hundreds of restaurants.

3. If it's evening, take in an attraction, like jazz or blues. For example Buddy Guy's Legends always has an all ages FREE acoustic set that begins around 5 or 6 PM most evenings and it's not far from CUS.

This might help: http://buddyguy.com/page.cfm?id=1902&

I advise you to take a lake cruise, instead, whether it be on an Odesey, Mystic Blue, or even a non meal oriented trip (one launches from Queens Landing right across from Buckingham Fountain).
http://www.mysticbluecruises.com/chicago

https://wendellaboats.com/Boat-Tours/Lake-Michigan-And-Chicago-River-Tour

http://www.odysseycruises.com/chicago

Or take in a neighborhood festival. Summertime in Chicago it would be sinful to spend a layover inside.

Well, the topic is Things To Do In Chicago on a Layover; I'm from Chicago and I have to say this repeated interest in skyscrapers and their observation decks is something I don't entirely understand--especially from folks who prefer to travel as close to the surface of the earth as possible. Granted the view may be breathtaking (for 5 mins.), now what?
Lifelong Chicagoan. Never been inside (let alone atop) Sears Tower. Went to the Hancock observation deck in high school. Twenty Five years later, took the elevator up again to join friends for drinks at the restaurants. I get more interesting views from other buildings, often for free.
Also, as for music, the Jazz Showcase (located in the old railroad terminal building of the historic Dearborn Station) has a 4 P.M. set Sunday afternoons.

http://jazzshowcase.com

If you're in Chicago summer afternoons or evenings, there is likely a concert or rehearsal offering for free at Millennium Park.

The weather is beautiful in June. I second the lake cruise idea.

I enjoyed the river architecture tour as well. I've been to Chicago a million billion times, but it looked completely different from a boat on the river. I can't explain why; it just does. I fell in love all over again.

Manny T and NorthShore, good ideas from both of you. For some reason, granddaughter has a fascination with high places. Maybe because her mom won't let her fly! We have been in the Sears tower and the Space Needle. During our trip in June, we will tour the Empire State Building and the Washington Monument, although I'm trying to convince her the old post office building in DC has views almost as good as the monument without the long lines.

While in Chicago, we also plan on a water taxi ride, looking for the beginning of Route 66, and seeing cloud gate.

Her idea of gourmet food in Chicago is giordanos pizza and Carmel corn from Nuts on Clark. (OK, that's my idea, too)!

Keep the ideas coming. I love it!

While in Chicago, we also plan on a water taxi ride, looking for the beginning of Route 66, and seeing cloud gate.
The beginning of Route 66 is actually pretty close to Cloud Gate. There's one of those brown "Historic" signs on the NW corner of Michigan & Adams (across from the Art Institute) and another sign just down Adams a bit, on the south side of the street.

I've taken a few pictures of those signs. Some day, I'll take a trip down the original Route 66, from start to finish.

Thanks, Sarah. I wasn't sure where to find the route markers.

NorthShore, if I took Miki on a helicopter ride, her mom would never trust me with her again. I'd lose all "grandma privileges". (also there's no disposable income around here, which is why this might be our last long distance train trip).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back