This is nuts..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
Playing with bookings 8/15/10 CHI to EMY on the Zephyr and one choice is ;

CHI-EMY #5 CZ

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

Makes a lot of sense... almost 6 hours between the time I leave EMY and return to EMY to complete the trip. :blink:

Playing with bookings 8/15/10 CHI to EMY on the Zephyr and one choice is ;CHI-EMY #5 CZ

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

Makes a lot of sense... almost 6 hours between the time I leave EMY and return to EMY to complete the trip. :blink:
Computers are funny that way. They take you quite literally.

Actually, all four of your choices get you to EMY the same day (8/17/10). A human can see the absurdity of three of the four choices, but a computer can't.

Try giving it more complete information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing with bookings 8/15/10 CHI to EMY on the Zephyr and one choice is ;CHI-EMY #5 CZ

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

Actually, all four of your choices get you to EMY the same day (8/17/10). A human can see the absurdity of three of the four choices, but a computer can't.

???

Like what?

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

???

Like what?
I don't know "like what." :D I've never booked on line, nor will I. But looking at what the computer showed when I tried it, it was obvious that the first choice was train 5 for a one way in coach from CHI to EMY for $145.00. I think the computer might be assuming that you might want to get to EMY via the Oakland Jack London SQ, or maybe via LA. It was giving you options. I'll bet that if you chose a bedroom from CHI to EMY it would filter out the bus option. :lol:

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

For some people (like me :lol: ), 3 of those choices make sense. I would rather be given a choice to go thru LAX. Especially if it's an AGR award - because AGR can only book routings that are shown. (In fact, on my trip in March, the only routing given from Toledo to Portland was via Chicago and then on the Empire Builder. However, from Chicago to Portland besides the Empire Builder, it also had 2 more routings - the SWC to LAX and the CZ to SAC, connecting to the CS! So I paid the few extra bucks from TOL to CHI and began my AGR award in CHI - and went via LAX!)

I agree the CHI-EMY-OKJ-EMY doesn't make sense! :blink: But I'm surprised #4768 goes OKJ-EMY. When I was on it last month, it went non-stop OKJ-SFC - and also departed at 10:00 PM!

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

I'd be game! :p More train time and 200+ more AGR points! :p
When I first read the OP I thought that they accidentally opened your personal reservation system to the public. You know, the one that's called TPRS and was especially designed for you? :lol:

When I first read the OP I thought that they accidentally opened your personal reservation system to the public. You know, the one that's called TPRS and was especially designed for you? :lol:
No, I'd never do something that short! :lol: I'd do something like PDX-SEA-SPK-PDX, SAC-OKJ-MTZ-SAC or CHI-CVS-NOL-SAS-CHI (which I have done). The "shortest" I would do is SAC-MTZ-SAC (which I have done too)! :p

No, I'd never do something that short! :lol: I'd do something like PDX-SEA-SPK-PDX, SAC-OKJ-MTZ-SAC or CHI-CVS-NOL-SAS-CHI (which I have done). The "shortest" I would do is SAC-MTZ-SAC (which I have done too)! :p
Didnt you do PDX-VAN-PDX on a points run, thats about short as it gets, even beats AUS-TAY-AUS!!! :lol:

Didnt you do PDX-VAN-PDX on a points run, thats about short as it gets, even beats AUS-TAY-AUS!!! :lol:
You're right! :p

But I actually only bought it one-way! (I had an AGR award the other way - twice, once PDX-TAC-VAN (and then VAN-PDX on 8/20 for the 804 AGR points :cool: ) and the other VAN-OKJ! Although I threatened to do it, I never got around to doing PDX-VAN-PDX itself. :(

EMY-OKJ #549 Capitols

OKJ-EMY #4768 Bus

???

Like what?
I don't know "like what." :D I've never booked on line, nor will I. But looking at what the computer showed when I tried it, it was obvious that the first choice was train 5 for a one way in coach from CHI to EMY for $145.00. I think the computer might be assuming that you might want to get to EMY via the Oakland Jack London SQ, or maybe via LA. It was giving you options. I'll bet that if you chose a bedroom from CHI to EMY it would filter out the bus option. :lol:
You add the option once the routing choice is made. Adding a bedroom option to the trip doesn't eliminate the routing option.

Either way, the EMY-OKJ-EMY option adds $6.00 to the fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back