This is REALLY Strange...Need Real Answers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just made reservations for a trip on Amtrak. One of my family members is disabled, and here's what I was told by the agent:

1. You need a letter from Social Security to prove disability for the disabled fare AND the following...

2. Notarized letter from physician not more than a month old

3. Three forms of photo identification

4. Citizen's National ID Card (Federally issued RealID) stating you are disabled

5. Be able to be visually telltale of being disabled versus some restricting disability that can't be seen by the naked eye.

6. One piece of recent medical documentation from your medical chart

I question #4 because these "REALID's" don't exist yet, and as far as I can tell they were only some concept idea by a hairbrained politician. (Or am I wrong?)

Is Amtrak going too far? I understand some folks may have abused the fare in the past, but c'mon! All of this even for a trip even if it's at the last minute?

Normally you would need one or a combination of some of those items, not all of them.

Of course Amtrak is not normal and these are not normal times either.

Does anyone know if they have a published policy on this?

Does anyone know if they have a published policy on this?
Yes, you can find it here.

From the Amtrak site:

You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.
Acceptable documentation includes:

Transit system ID card

Membership card from a disabilities organization

Letter from a physician

They do have a policy:

The documentation requirement is only if you are applying for a discounted ticket.

"You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.

Transit system ID card

Membership card from a disabilities organization

Letter from a physician

You may not combine this discount with other discount programs. Please ask your reservations sales agent for further details about restrictions."

Ok, I just made reservations for a trip on Amtrak. One of my family members is disabled, and here's what I was told by the agent:
1. You need a letter from Social Security to prove disability for the disabled fare AND the following...

4. Citizen's National ID Card (Federally issued RealID) stating you are disabled

5. Be able to be visually telltale of being disabled versus some restricting disability that can't be seen by the naked eye.

I question #4 because these "REALID's" don't exist yet, and as far as I can tell they were only some concept idea by a hairbrained politician. (Or am I wrong?)

Is Amtrak going too far? I understand some folks may have abused the fare in the past, but c'mon! All of this even for a trip even if it's at the last minute?
This is not true. You do need documentation although you probably won't be asked to show it unless the disability is not visible. The reason for the documentation is because these are premium rooms at super discount (bedroom with toilet priced close to roomette plus discount on base fare) and some able-bodied people abuse the policy. (Aside: some travel agents for cruises specifically request HC spots for their AB clients for larger spaces at a discount ... at least one lawsuit is pending. The sad part is the cruise line, who is innocent but has deep pockets, is a defendant.)

Here is what you need (pasted from http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...&ssid=186):

"Details About Discounts

Amtrak offers a rail fare discount to passengers with disabilities. To receive the discount you must book your reservation by telephone or at a ticket counter. Sorry, discounts are not available when you book online.

You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.

* Transit system ID card

* Membership card from a disabilities organization

* Letter from a physician

You may not combine this discount with other discount programs. Please ask your reservations sales agent for further details about restrictions."

Notice that documentation is not limited to the list. I have a visible disability but carry my placard and its registration.

Enjoy the trip! If you are worried about issues when you travel, I suggest printing a copy of Amtrak's webpage about traveling with a disability.

I booked & paid for my Sept trip in Feb. I'm booked in a H room the entire way. At one time I called & asked "since I'm not in a wheel chair, I feel guilty taking an H Room. " At that time they said " There are many types of disabilities, all you need is a Photo ID and doctor's note stating you are, in fact, handicapped, you are OK"

Just got off the phone with a guy @ my local station & asked about the new rules(?). After giving my reservation #, he said I was cool with 1 photo ID, Doctor's note not notorized, ANY TIPS OUT THERE??? :eek:

I booked & paid for my Sept trip in Feb. I'm booked in a H room the entire way. At one time I called & asked "since I'm not in a wheel chair, I feel guilty taking an H Room. " At that time they said " There are many types of disabilities, all you need is a Photo ID and doctor's note stating you are, in fact, handicapped, you are OK"
Just got off the phone with a guy @ my local station & asked about the new rules(?). After giving my reservation #, he said I was cool with 1 photo ID, Doctor's note not notorized, ANY TIPS OUT THERE??? :eek:
You need a photo ID anyway (theoretically) to board the train. So you need something with a matching name that says you have a disability.

You need a photo ID anyway (theoretically) to board the train. So you need something with a matching name that says you have a disability.
3 Forms of Photo ID!!!!

sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
how many people have 3 forms of photo ID?

Something seems really "off" by the over the phone version given to Capitol Corridor...

a piece from your medical records.

No way in hell will they get my medical records which contain my social security number.

Instinct tells me that this definition could be in violation of the ADA.

I almost always get an employee's name and employee number when dealing with anything different and if you should have this individual's, you should write Amtrak and complain. I believe this employee needs to be relieved from duty. They have narrowly defined disabilities.

#8 is a real kicker. I can think of a number of organizations in this country that would dropkick Amtrak to the next planet: American Heart Association, Epilepsy Foundation, Diabetes Foundation (diabetics got real miffed over the "diabetic dropped off in woods by Amtrak story)".

If Amtrak is this far behind in the times, they will soon get an education about disabilities. The only point they may be making is that a disability should require special accomodations and may be trying to limit the room to those.

#8 is a real kicker. I can think of a number of organizations in this country that would dropkick Amtrak to the next planet: American Heart Association, Epilepsy Foundation, Diabetes Foundation (diabetics got real miffed over the "diabetic dropped off in woods by Amtrak story)".
There is no #8. :unsure:

Something seems really "off" by the over the phone version given to Capitol Corridor...
a piece from your medical records.

No way in hell will they get my medical records which contain my social security number.

Instinct tells me that this definition could be in violation of the ADA.

I almost always get an employee's name and employee number when dealing with anything different and if you should have this individual's, you should write Amtrak and complain. I believe this employee needs to be relieved from duty. They have narrowly defined disabilities.

If Amtrak is this far behind in the times, they will soon get an education about disabilities. The only point they may be making is that a disability should require special accomodations and may be trying to limit the room to those.
Actually, Amtrak (per their "Making Reservations for Accessible Space" page, restricts the H room to "passengers who are mobility impaired." This is a lot more limiting than "passengers with a disability." I think people with all disabilities get the discount, but not all can reserve the H room.

I agree about making a complaint about the agent and/or policy and suggest making it **after** the trip so you can incorporate your experience. The agent's name is a good idea, but if you do not have that, then the date/time of the call should be included. I suspect you'll have no problems from on-board staff, especially in first class. And if you do have problems, you'll have that much more to put in your letter.

This is a web search, but I believe the ADA prohibits asking for medical records as proof of disability.

From the website:

"If you have any other questions, comments or suggestions, please contact the Office of Amtrak Access by mail at:

OFFICE OF AMTRAK ACCESS - 2W

60 MASSACHUSETTS AVE NE

WASHINGTON, DC 20002"

Traveling with a disability is a lot more of an adventure than traveling able-bodied because glitches can have more serious repercussions. None-the-less, your family member, unless very recently disabled, is probably used to it and may well be more excited than nervous about the trip.

That's ridiculous. There are many disabilities which are "invisible" and don't require a cane or service animal. Heart, lungs, blood disorders. I think the clerk who told you this was was making things up as she went along as it doesn't seem to be anywhere in Amtrak's policy.

A couple of years ago I read somewhere that it is illegal for train personnel to ask what a person's disibility is. Maybe the law has changed.

A couple of years ago I read somewhere that it is illegal for train personnel to ask what a person's disibility is. Maybe the law has changed.
I belong to a cancer survivor forum. Some of us are disabled to some extent, either temporary or permanent. The subject of disclosing disabilities according to the ADA has come up from time to time. They can't ask what the disability is. I remember when I was under treatment I got a jury summons. The only thing thing my Dr was required to tell the court was that I was disabled. It wasn't anyone's business why.

just remembered, I have the disability card you place over the the rear view miirror. The sticker on this card has the ID # that's the same # on your on your Drivers License or ID Card in your wallet!

Unless they really tightened up the requirements, a few years ago my sister and I went to ATL. She uses a walker due to a balance problem. We requested and got a disability fare and a H room on the Crescent. I picked up the tickets for us in KIN.

At NO TIME (in KIN, NYP, ATL, WAS or on the train) were we asked for documentation as mentioned!

I think that the negative comments about requirements are moot and that the requirements indicated are in several cases just suggestions on how to prove one's handicap if there is any question by Amtrak personnel.

We have used an H room about 16 times in the last 10 years - the latest being within the last two weeks. There has never been a single incident where I was asked for any proof what-so-ever although I have always had proof on me. I have multiple reasons why I qualify but you would only be able to recognize one of them if you saw me. But... if they doubted my qualification they certainly have the right to ask for proof. Also they did ask for ID - one form for each of us and we showed our DL's!

I also want to mention that back in the beginning on our first trip I reserved a delux bedroom on the upper deck on the SWC from CHI to FUL and back thinking I'd be ok with it. I'll spare all the details, but when I boarded the train I quickly found out that the room I reserved and thought would work for me was just not doable. And just going home was not an option since my reservations back to ALB (in an H room) was when we later returned from FUL.

To simply put it, I was on emotional pins and needles and concerned about running out of medication before we would be able to get back home. Amtrak staff both immediately on the train and later in their Washington DC office went out of their way to resolve my problem and eventually notified me that they found someone who was going to cancel their H room reservation allowing me to get back befoe the meds ran out. You can say that I am a lucky satisfied Amtrak customer... for the most part! :)

You're right, Alan, #8 should have been #5. The point is still the same.

"Actually, Amtrak (per their "Making Reservations for Accessible Space" page, restricts the H room to "passengers who are mobility impaired." This is a lot more limiting than "passengers with a disability." I think people with all disabilities get the discount, but not all can reserve the H room."

This actually makes sense. I don't see why passengers with disability SHOULD get a discount. Is life rougher? Sure, but it doesn't qualify us (yes, me the seizure person) for a discount. The flipside is that barriers to travel for someone with disabilities should be discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back