Throughway Bus Ticket Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diesteldorf

Lead Service Attendant
I've noticed that Amtrak's booking computer will not let you book throughway bus routes without booking a train route at the same time.

It will also not allow you to choose a throughway bus (even if the route exists) if it departs less than 1-2 hours after the train is scheduled to arrive. Obviously, Amtrak realizes that trains may run late and

a bus connection that departs that soon after the train arrives could be missed.

This presents limitations in that a certain city pair may contain 3-4 different throughway bus routes. However, when adding the train connection to the route, Amtrak's booking system may only allow 1-2 throughway buses to choose from. However, let's assume that if the train is running on time for that day, it would be possible to take one of the other throughway buses not listed by Amtrak's computer.

I am wondering if the following can be used as a workaround:

If I made one reservation for 1 train segment, a segment that I actually planned on riding., and made a different reservation for a train and throughway bus connection, a throughway bus connection for the time and destination I was traveling to, is it possible to mix and match to allow me the throughway connection I want?

If I go to the station and pickup both reservations, I'll have the folowing:

Reservation 1=1 Train ticket A

Reservation 2=1 Train Ticket B and 1 Throughway Bus Ticket C

Can I ride the train with ticket A and then, upon arrival, use my bus ticket C to ride a bus that wouldn't normally even be listed as a valid connection by Amtrak's computer?

Could I then take my Train ticket B and use it, per the normal policy, as credit toward a future Amtak ticket? Would I still be able to get AGR points for my throughway bus ticket C even though I didn't travel on the train B that was linked to the throughway connection?

I know it is possible to buy some throughway connections through the bus companies directly since many of them are not run by Amtrak, however, it has been my experience that bus companies are not as flexible when granting refunds or allowing tickets to be used as credit toward future travel.

I know that by getting my throughway connections through Amtrak, I will have the flexibility that Amtrak offers if I am unable use bus ticket C because train A is running late. I would also get AGR points for a bus segment purchased through Amtrak.

I am also asking about mixing and matching for another reason:

Let's say, I need to get to a particular city that is only available by 1st going on train and then bus.

I book a reservation in Amtrak's computer. The total fair is $100. $75 is the value of the train ticket and $25 is the value of the throughway bus ticket.

Three weeks later, Amtrak has a special Rail Sale and I realize I can now take the identical train portion of my trip for $30. Can I use my $30 train ticket with my $25 bus ticket and trade my $75 train ticket in for credit toward a future reservation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the circumstances, some reservations are noted as "not refundable once travel begins." This is usually where the combined fare (A to B to C) is lower than the separate "A to B" fare plus "B to C" fare. In those cases, they would require that you surrender both (or, all, if there are more than two) ticket coupons of the reservation in order to qualify for a refund.

So, in all likelihood, you probably couldn't get a refund for just part of the fare.

The reason for this is simply to prevent people from using longer trips to get reduced fares on shorter segments.

For example, I recently booked a New Haven-to-Chicago ticket in coach, connecting from train 195 to train 29. The total fare was $90.90 ($101 base fare minus 10% NARP discount). New Haven to DC on train 195 is $84.60 ($94 minus 10%). However, based on the pro-rated "exchange value," that trip only cost $41.55. Someone could buy a New Haven to Chicago ticket, pay only half the fare New Haven to DC, and get a refund on the rest.

My suggestion, if you have questions regarding certain Thruway connections is to call Amtrak directly and speak with a reservations agent. If the station at which you would be transferring is a staffed station, you might even try to get a phone number for that station and call directly, as agents at that station might be more intimately familiar with the connections than someone in Philadelphia or Southern California.

I've noticed that Amtrak's booking computer will not let you book throughway bus routes without booking a train route at the same time.
This depends on the city-pairs you're travelling between. Between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, for example, you book a route that is entirely by bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back