Thru-way Bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I will be coming back to Chicago from LA on the Eagle in a couple weeks, and in checking "lateness factor" I see it's not unusual for it to be 3 or 4 hours late (with the scheduled arrival time at 1:52) My last connecting train to Kalamazoo leaves at 6:00, but I see there is a thru-way bus scheduled at about 11:00pm. With a thru-bus available I know I wouldn't get a hotel voucher, but would my early morning train to Michigan still be paid for if I opted to stay at a hotel?

It all depends on the Customer Service office at Union Station. If they offer you the bus and you decline, the hotel will be on your dime. But then again they might offer you the hotel and train the next day.

I feel certain that they would give you two choices: (1) take the late, late Thruway Bus or (2) take the first train the next morning albeit at your own hotel expense.

Amtrak has spent literally millions over the past few years putting passengers with missed connections in Chicago's pricey hotels. The Thruway Bus gives them an easy and much less expensive out.

I feel certain that they would give you two choices: (1) take the late, late Thruway Bus or (2) take the first train the next morning albeit at your own hotel expense.

Amtrak has spent literally millions over the past few years putting passengers with missed connections in Chicago's pricey hotels. The Thruway Bus gives them an easy and much less expensive out.
Ah, I hadn't thought about it that way. I was curious why there was only a Thruway bus going eastbound...but I think you've hit the nail on the head. This bus will potentially pay for itself solely on the backs of avoided hotel rooms. That said, the overnight bus only stops at Kalamazoo and Detroit, so people headed to most of the Michigan destinations will still be staying in CHI on Amtrak's dime. (I'm a little surprised the bus doesn't stop in Ann Arbor, for instance.)

Looking at the schedule of that Thruway Bus No. 8356, I too find it most curious that it only stops at Kalamazoo enroute to Detroit, and according to the reference mark 'R', only to receive passengers....

Since the primary purpose seems to be to carry 'misconnects' from Chicago, if anything, it should have a 'D' reference...stops only to discharge....

And it should discharge passengers at any station on the route, for that matter, if it is truly to be useful.... :huh:

Looking at the schedule of that Thruway Bus No. 8356, I too find it most curious that it only stops at Kalamazoo enroute to Detroit, and according to the reference mark 'R', only to receive passengers....

Since the primary purpose seems to be to carry 'misconnects' from Chicago, if anything, it should have a 'D' reference...stops only to discharge....
It's definitely a typo. The Amtrak website allows you to book a ticket to Kalamazoo on that bus. And it should be noted that the bus isn't solely for misconnects, since it also provides a previously unavailable connection from the final Hiawatha and Lincoln Service trains of the day...but again,

only if you're going to Kalamazoo or Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a hunch, my suspicions are ....that is Amtrak Thruway No. 8356, and Greyhound Lines trip no. 5508 are in fact, one and the same...

Amtrak simply made an existing GL trip into a Thruway...it stops at both Chicago and Detroit Amtrak stations....

Last edited by a moderator:
After a hunch, my suspicions are ....that is Amtrak Thruway No. 8356, and Greyhound Lines trip no. 5508 are in fact, one and the same...

Amtrak simply made an existing GL trip into a Thruway...it stops at both Chicago and Detroit Amtrak stations....
Makes sense, thanks. I was wondering if Amtrak was deadheading the bus back to Chicago since the Thruway only runs eastbound. But if

it's a Greyhound bus, there's no need. That would also explain the limited stops, which skip two stations (Dearborn and Ann Arbor) with

higher Amtrak ridership totals than Detroit. Still, it's a travel option for some Amtrak passengers which did not previously exist, so that's

a good thing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back