Ticket sale!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Amtrak page shows a list of "Selected Fares." Does this mean that the ones shown are just a sample of many other routes available in this sale -- or does it mean that only these routes have been selected for the sale?

The Amtrak page shows a list of "Selected Fares." Does this mean that the ones shown are just a sample of many other routes available in this sale -- or does it mean that only these routes have been selected for the sale?

I get the idea we're seeing different things based on our cookies. The link in post #1 displays the following hubs:

ATL

MIA

TPA

RVR

SAS

DAL

NOL

ABQ

ORL

autotrain

If I start at the Amtrak homepage, I get a new icon advertising the Back on Track sale, highlighting Chicago (where I am). clicking there gets me this list:

CHI

SLC

DEN

RNO

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...37&ssid=224

...and if I go to the "hot deals" page and choose the new link for this sale, I get these:

AUTOTRAIN

CHI

SEA

LAX

NYP

ALB

WAS

PHL

ATL

MIA

DAL

NOL

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...00&ssid=224

• Valid for discounted one-way Coach fares only; no sleeper or business upgrades allowed.
  • Up to two children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half the regular (full) adult rail fare.
Those are two BIGGIES for me. :eek:

Yeah, it doesn't actually appear to be that great of a sale for me. I already have reservations from BOS to WAS for 9/4-9/7. I just plugged that in online to see if I could get a cheaper fare and I can't.

I'm having a problem with it.

It says this on the Back On Track Sale page:

ATLANTA TO:

Charlotte, NC (CLT) $42

so I put in Atlanta to Charlotte for November 7th, and I get $62. Should I call Amtrak and have them do it for me on the phone? And that special price doesn't apply for Charlotte to Atlanta on the way back does it (if I book it seperately)?

RailFreak I'll give you all the dollar amounts as soon as I can figure this out.

Kids 2-15 half off is standard rate. Test a route and check out the price.The senior discount is 15% and that is just about what this is. So about 5% off AAA NPRA ect. A discount yes. Big discount??? :huh:

Here are the routes:

Valid on Auto Train, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight and Crescent.
And here is the BIG restriction:

Fares are non-refundable.
I have a res SFC-PDX I made earlier using AAA. The fare was $62.10 - under this "sale" it is $59! I think the chance to refund is worth $3! :D

Just a warning. These special fares are one-way or round trip and are applied anytime a low bucket is available for selected trains. If you book on-line and purchase a low bucket fare that just happens to be one of the selected services, it will price to the discount. If so, you will get the non-refundable special fare whether you like it or not, or even whether you know it or not. The web site will not warn you that the ticket you just bought is non-refundable. So, if you are sure of your plans, then this is a OK (but not great) deal

For example:

Philadelphia to Richmond (VA):

Regular low bucket fare, refundable: $55.00

AAA or NARP discount low bucket fare, refundable: $49.50

Special "Back on Track" discount fare, non-refundable: $47.00

If you want the regular Amtrak flexibility, then be careful booking on-line while this sale is on. Book AAA or NARP, or make sure you are pricing to a regular bucket. If you book by phone or in person and you want a refundable fare, be sure to ask for it.

And, don't you think that Amtrak should have to provide all the terms and conditions for any ticket you are about to purchase? Every airline does this, why not Amtrak?

Just a warning. These special fares are one-way or round trip and are applied anytime a low bucket is available for selected trains. If you book on-line and purchase a low bucket fare that just happens to be one of the selected services, it will price to the discount. If so, you will get the non-refundable special fare whether you like it or not, or even whether you know it or not. The web site will not warn you that the ticket you just bought is non-refundable. So, if you are sure of your plans, then this is a OK (but not great) deal
For example:

Philadelphia to Richmond (VA):

Regular low bucket fare, refundable: $55.00

AAA or NARP discount low bucket fare, refundable: $49.50

Special "Back on Track" discount fare, non-refundable: $47.00

If you want the regular Amtrak flexibility, then be careful booking on-line while this sale is on. Book AAA or NARP, or make sure you are pricing to a regular bucket. If you book by phone or in person and you want a refundable fare, be sure to ask for it.

And, don't you think that Amtrak should have to provide all the terms and conditions for any ticket you are about to purchase? Every airline does this, why not Amtrak?
I know the youngsters on here don't want to hear this so put on your ear muffs! SOMETIMES it pays to pick up the phone and ask questions rather than sit at a computer that has total control over a situation (and you!) such as this one. Moral of the story; let your fingers do the walking via A.T&T.

I know the youngsters on here don't want to hear this so put on your ear muffs! SOMETIMES it pays to pick up the phone and ask questions rather than sit at a computer that has total control over a situation (and you!) such as this one. Moral of the story; let your fingers do the walking via A.T&T.
I am old and wise enough, that I have learned (the hard way), that the person who answers the phone might not be an expert either. They, themselves, might not be fully aware of the details.

At least on the computer, I can see and read the details for myself. Is the reservation I just made for 9/10, or is it 10/9 ? Am I getting the 7:20 pm train, or the 7:20 am train?

While computers can make mistakes, I find people make even more.

BTW, youngsters think of AT&T as being that company located in California that use to be called SBC. Us old people think of AT&T as being that company located in New Jersey (that doesn't even exist anymore).

I am old and wise enough, that I have learned (the hard way), that the person who answers the phone might not be an expert either. They, themselves, might not be fully aware of the details.

At least on the computer, I can see and read the details for myself. Is the reservation I just made for 9/10, or is it 10/9 ? Am I getting the 7:20 pm train, or the 7:20 am train?

While computers can make mistakes, I find people make even more.

BTW, youngsters think of AT&T as being that company located in California that use to be called SBC. Us old people think of AT&T as being that company located in New Jersey (that doesn't even exist anymore).
Perhaps luck has been on my side; I've had more positive mistakes made in my favor by calling. Besides, once you press that "enter" button on the computer you're cooked! BTW, we went back to A.T&T after being Bell South for about twenty years. Right back where we started at!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you meant the youngsters should let their fingers do the walking via VOIP.

I think you meant the youngsters should let their fingers do the walking via VOIP.
Or via Verizon Wireless or T-Movile or Alltel or ... :lol:

BTW, we went back to A.T&T after being Bell South for about twenty years. Right back where we started at!
Yup--it's the T-1000 of corporations:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/att

(Note to future readers: if that video disappears due to a "copyright claim" from Viacom International, post back or PM and I'll upload it to a public URL--I have a QuickTime version saved somewhere...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warning about potential non-refundable fares, I will be careful to book future trips via the phone just in case. Could someone provide me with the site that has bucket info for each route, thanks!

Could someone provide me with the site that has bucket info for each route, thanks!
There is no such site that provides the bucket info in an easy to find format. In the back of the national timetable there is a chart that gives some sample fares for certain city pairs and it shows the high and low buckets for certain city combinations. But beyond that, the only way to figure out the various buckets is to just sit on Amtrak's sit making dummy bookings till you find all the possible fares for a given route/city pair.

Thanks for the warning about potential non-refundable fares, I will be careful to book future trips via the phone just in case.
And booking by phone does not guarantee the "right" fare. If you just ask for a ticket from __ to __, and the "sale fare" is available, you will get that! The best way (if you want a refundable fare) is to request something like a AAA fare!

Thanks for the warning about potential non-refundable fares, I will be careful to book future trips via the phone just in case.
And booking by phone does not guarantee the "right" fare. If you just ask for a ticket from __ to __, and the "sale fare" is available, you will get that! The best way (if you want a refundable fare) is to request something like a AAA fare!
I feel as if Amtrak should put a checkbox on their site that says, "Search for Refundable Fares only" that way this problem can be easily avoided. Every airline does it, and I feel it would eliminate a lot of confusion in this area. Now, assuming I make reservations with a non-refundable fare but do not pick up the tickets, can I get a refund? Or does the nonrefundable aspect of the fare apply regardless of whether or not you have collected the tickets?

I feel as if Amtrak should put a checkbox on their site that says, "Search for Refundable Fares only" that way this problem can be easily avoided. Every airline does it, and I feel it would eliminate a lot of confusion in this area. Now, assuming I make reservations with a non-refundable fare but do not pick up the tickets, can I get a refund? Or does the nonrefundable aspect of the fare apply regardless of whether or not you have collected the tickets?
I agree, Amtrak should make that checkbox an option, but many only ask "What's the fare?" without any questions. If they were told "The fare is $59 and the AAA fare is $61", which do you think they will pick? I only wish Amtrak would only mention more clearly that the lower fare is non-refundable! And give you a choice to not pick the non-refundable fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back