Timing my booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
At the moment, I do not have enough points for a trip I plan to take next year (next October). However, by the time I take this trip, I will certainly have enough for at least one leg of the round trip.

What's the best way to book this? Book now, then cancel, or wait until I get the points and then book?

If you have the money now, you can book now and then get a refund. Just be aware that you only get 90% for a cash (or credit card) refund or 100% on an e-voucher. Also note that an AGR award costs the same amount of points (as long as seats or rooms are available) no matter if the fare is $200 or $1,000! The advantage of paying for it now is to be sure space is available on the train - but note the 10% refund reduction if you do not take an e-voucher.

Don't know if you can change your res from $$$ to points and keep the same reservation...you might have to cancel and re-book. The $$$ fare will have to be re-funded to you.

Consider buying points (10k+bonus) if you haven't already and other means to accelerate your earning of the necessary points.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have the credit card limit cash to purchase now. My concern was to have space available when I'm ready to use my points. A round trip to DC would only cost me $70 or so if I pay the 10% (looking for a roomette).

If I cancel my pre-paid trip, how likely am I to be able to immediately re-book using my points?

Probably the best strategy would be to book with AGR and then cancel the purchase. However, I plan to book/redeem 11 months from now. Capitol Limited (CHI to WAS) should be pretty available in October, no?

You have to call AGR anyway to book a room award, and they can (and do) both cancel and book, so why not do both at the same time? :huh: Besides, it's possible the AGR agent may say there are no rooms left when you first talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daughter #4 and I had such a great time on our trip last month, we are planning a trip to DC this fall. I'll have enough points to book that trip within a month or so.

However, if I cancel the trip (like because she can't get the time off work), I can still keep the points, right?

Daughter #4 and I had such a great time on our trip last month, we are planning a trip to DC this fall. I'll have enough points to book that trip within a month or so.

However, if I cancel the trip (like because she can't get the time off work), I can still keep the points, right?
Yep, if you call and cancel before the booked train AGR will credit your Points back to your account! If you "no show", you lose them!

Back