Totally green Amtrakkkie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry if these types of questions have been asked a million times :blink: I'm taking myself and 2 sons 11 and 14 on the Sunset Ltd. from LA to San Antonio on Oct 4. We have room B Car 0230 and we paid $659.80 total. I hope we didn't get ripped off....anyway...I've never travelled by rail for this long - never had a sleeper car so I don't know what to expect. Is this a good car and/or room? Are there certain cars that give you a smoother ride or are more quiet? We're not really fussy people but so many of you guys seem to know so much I thought I'd pick your brains! We're coming from New Zealand BTW. Thanks so much.

Also....we are toying with the idea of taking a train from Ft Worth to Massachusetts...any ideas on that route? Know of any discounts? :)

I'm a rookie but have had every sleeping accomodation and also ridden coach. You've got a pretty good deal if you ask me. My girlfriend and I did the CZ (California Zephyr) from LNK (Lincoln Nebraska) to SF and it was $1200.00 one way. We had a deluxe bedroom. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with getting a sleeper room. Coach very far might be a challenge. I don't think the car # will have much difference in your ride, but I may be wrong on that. I just luv ridin' the train!!!!

The only thing the car number could tell you is how far away the dining car is. On the Sunset Limited, car 30 is right next to the diner.

As for room B, that is a bedroom (formerly known as "Deluxe Bedroom"), which is the nicest accommodation Amtrak has available. Those rooms can easily go into the high three figures or even four figures for a long trip, so getting a fare of under $700 for three is a good deal.

However, I should point out that the room, while it can accommodate three, has only two beds. The lower bed is a bit larger, and can fit two. If the two kids are not keen on the idea of sharing a bed, you may want to consider getting two roomettes instead. The downsides are that the rooms are smaller, and they don't contain their own private washroom/shower. The upside is that there will be a bed for each of you.

So, talk it over with the kids and compare the bedroom and roomette measurements to decide early on which layout you would prefer. (This page gives an overview of all Amtrak accommodations.) If you decide to make a change, call early for the best chance at getting the lowest available fares.

Fort Worth to Massachusetts -- Texas Eagle to Chicago and then the Lake Shore Limited east. :)

My girlfriend and I had a bedroom to San Francisco and we both slept together in the lower bunk. She's 5-2 and 140lbs and I'm 5-9 and 180. It was tight but not unbearable. At one point she ended up sleeping the opposite way I was. Her head was near my feet and vice versa. Since that left the top bunk empty, we stored extra stuff up there. Personally, I would stay with the deluxe bedroom. There's nothin' better than having your own "throne" in your own room! :D

Room B, a deluxe bedroom, is definitely a good deal at under $700; and the way it breaks down (at least 4 meals, plus one or two nights' "hotel room", all x 3) means that this trip is comparable to an inexpensive weekend getaway. To get from Ft. Worth to Mass., you can take the Texas Eagle to Chicago (one overnight) then continue on via the Lakshore Limited (one additional night); it might be worth it, just to see what coach is like, to try coach from FTW to CHI; but definitely go with a sleeper, or two, from CHI to BOS (or whichever Massachusetts station is your intended destination) as that trip is slightly over 24 hours in all likelihood

Thanks so much for all the info! :D The prices to Boston from Ft Worth look pretty high but I think the train is the way to go. What is the Auto train? Is that just a commuter type thing? It says kids ride free.

(Just noticed how culturally sensitive this site is - providing Moslem smilies! :ph34r: )

nzdee said:
What is the Auto train? Is that just a commuter type thing? It says kids ride free.
The Auto Train is a special Amtrak train that allows you to take your car along for the ride. It runs exclusively between Lorton, VA (just a few miles south of Washington DC) and Sanford, FL (just northeast of Orlando).

This is a very popular train with families on the East coast heading for Disney World, as well as many senior citizens who head south to Florida for the winter, yet summer here in the northeast.

nzdee said:
Thanks so much for all the info! :D The prices to Boston from Ft Worth look pretty high but I think the train is the way to go. What is the Auto train? Is that just a commuter type thing? It says kids ride free. (Just noticed how culturally sensitive this site is - providing Moslem smilies! :ph34r: )
The Auto train only operates between Florida to Northern Virginia and back. It is as it said, an Auto train in that it hauls your automobile and it is also a requirement for ridership to have a auto or motorcycle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back