Train 1 - San Antonio to Los Angeles - Boarding Info at San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a roomette reserved from San Antonio to Los Angeles, departing May 22nd. That's good!

The train is scheduled to depart San Antonio @ 2:45 AM. Not good for "early-to-bed people"!

The train is scheduled to arrive in San Antonio @ 12:05 AM. Okay ... better than 2:45 AM ... "IF"!

The "IF" is: Can we board the train as soon as it arrives @ 12:05 AM? Or, do have to wait in the station for some period of time after that? Specifically, we understand that there may be some changes Amtrak makes to the Cars on the train while in San Antonio, as to those coming from Chicago, and those coming from New Orleans. Not sure I correctly understand the logistics of that process.

Bottom line ... we'd really like to board the train @ 12 AM vs 2 AM! That way, we could at least start setting up our roomette bunks for a "horizontal sleep"!

Anyone have some experience and encouraging words? :>)

Thanks!

If boarding in San Antonio, you'll probably have to wait until near boarding time. During that time, two cars (sleeper and coach) are removed from the Texas Eagle (21) and added to the rear of the Sunset Limited (1). I've done this from Temple, Texas on the Texas Eagle and being I already on the train in the 421 sleeper, was able to stayed aboard and then continue to L.A.

I'm not exactly sure of the boarding procedure at SAS. When the SL first arrives, if you're in the 01xx sleeper, it may (and I say may) be able to board. However, they also have to hook up the thru cars from CHI going to LAX. During that time you would be unable to board.

Possible alternative:

I have no idea of either the practicalities for you or the cost difference. A possible alternative would be to go 50 miles up the road to San Marcos and get on the through cars at 7:12 pm. A couple of warnings if you try this: Check on the train's progress. There is a high possibility that it will be late there. Looking at the schedule you will notice that the schedule allows 92 minutes for the northbound run and 2 hours 43 minutes southbound. The extra hour being to improve the apparent lateness of the train.

This may be too extreme the other way. Now you are getting on the train 7 hours earlier that if you started in San Antonio.

If it were me, I'd board one stop prior to San antonio (San Marcos?) you board hours earlier, and can sleep through all the switching and delays at San Antonio. Just a thought.

Possible alternative:

I have no idea of either the practicalities for you or the cost difference. A possible alternative would be to go 50 miles up the road to San Marcos and get on the through cars at 7:12 pm. A couple of warnings if you try this: Check on the train's progress. There is a high possibility that it will be late there. Looking at the schedule you will notice that the schedule allows 92 minutes for the northbound run and 2 hours 43 minutes southbound. The extra hour being to improve the apparent lateness of the train.

This may be too extreme the other way. Now you are getting on the train 7 hours earlier that if you started in San Antonio.

If it were me, I'd board one stop prior to San antonio (San Marcos?) you board hours earlier, and can sleep through all the switching and delays at San Antonio. Just a thought.
Not on 1 unless traveling in the Eagle.

Possible alternative:

Not on 1 unless traveling in the Eagle.
If you board one of the "through" cars (book Train #421) on the TE up the line, those cars will be put on #1 in San Antonio...at that point, its pretty much the same and you can stay aboard.

From what I remember, I THINK you'll be able to board as soon as the train arrives. But make sure you are there for it. After they unload people, they'll close up the cars to get ready for the moves. It also will depend on which sleeper you are in. If you're in car 0130, it'll arrive from NOL. If you're in the 2130 car from CHI, it'll arrive earlier, around 9-10 pm. And you MIGHT be able to board then. From what I remember, they are pretty lenient on letting sleeper pax board early. But it's been about 2 years since I've been through SAS, so what do I know?

You may not be able to get a roomette on 421 at this late date . I'm on 421 one week earlier and ALL THE sleeper rooms are sold out !

Thanks for all the responses. Truly appreciate the suggestions and cautions. We are in car 0130 from NO, so it sounds like a later boarding should be expected ... with a pleasant surprise if we get on sooner.

The departure out of San Marcos, so some earlier stop before San Antonio will not work for us at this time. Perhaps something to consider on a future trip.

Thanks again.

Be out on the platform when the train arrives and go to the sleeper and ask the attendant if you can board. If he has the room ready you should be able to board then. If someone was occupying the room to San Antonio perhaps not. In any case, you will be able to board as soon as the switching is complete.

When I rode the sunset ltd into San Antonio from Houston Last year I asked two of the attendants this question. Both agreed that if your room was ready they would immediately board you. Makes for a shorter night for sleeping car attendants, but there is no quarantee.

Train 1 usually arrives around at 11-1130 . However you can ask Sleeper attendant if you could board ( they usually do) and let the conductor know that you have arrive .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back