Train connection to rental car at Lordsburg or Deming?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
This is a shot in the dark, but are there any rental car services accessible from the Southwest Chief in Lordsburg or Deming, New Mexico?

I was wondering about the feasibility of taking the Sunset Limited there from Los Angeles and then traveling on to Silver City, New Mexico, and other locations.

Thanks in advance,

Chas

I know both areas. There are no car rental agencies in either location, but there are in SC. El Paso is closer to SC than Tucson. If unfamiliar with the area, may be best not to drive UP to SC from either Tucson or EP in the dark.

Yuma is a metropolis compared to Lordsburg & Deming.
default_mosking.gif

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like Lordsburg and Deming are like Yuma, only more so.
Deming always looked like a tired little ghost town to my eyes. I always wondered about the people who got on or off there. Where were they coming from and where were they going to? Other than ranchers and border soldiers I can't imagine what there is for work out there.

We lived in NM for 22 years and just loved it. We are going back to visit in a few months and wanted to see Deming and Silver City again. Alas, we found stopping in El Paso and renting a car was our best bet.

Not too many years back, a "developer" was selling retirement homesites near Deming. Ripoff prices, of course. Then, again, in the '50s, Parade Magazine had ads for the "Rio Rancho Estates" ripoff priced development near Albuquerque. It is now one of the largest cities in NM as so many NY people took advantage of it. You never know.

We lived in NM for 22 years and just loved it. We are going back to visit in a few months and wanted to see Deming and Silver City again. Alas, we found stopping in El Paso and renting a car was our best bet.

Not too many years back, a "developer" was selling retirement homesites near Deming. Ripoff prices, of course. Then, again, in the '50s, Parade Magazine had ads for the "Rio Rancho Estates" ripoff priced development near Albuquerque. It is now one of the largest cities in NM as so many NY people took advantage of it. You never know.
I remember reading in some online top 10 list just a few years ago that Deming was supposed to be a great place to retire. Sounds like it needs a few more amenities to make it true.

Visiting Deming and Lordsburg is like a trip to the Moon without the thrilling Space Journey!

Northern New Mexico or the Mountains around Ruidoso is the place to be in New,Mexico USA!

To paraphrase Gertrude Stein about the SW Desert: ..There's No There There..!

( I just spent Christmas in New Mexico and have driven through both places on the way to Civilization as well as ridden the Sunset Ltd. many times.)

I actually had a nice day in Deming. Of course the Harvey House is no longer there but they have a couple of nice museums, wineries, and the border town of Columbus is also fascinating as the last place of the continental USA that was invaded.

But as Mr. Dylan would say, YMMV.

Also forgot to mention, if you are adventurous and want to see the splendors of north Chihuahua, Gavilan Tours will even pick you up in Deming to tour the World Heritage Site of Paquime and tour the pottery making of Ortiz or the parrots. Plus even an add-on of the ChePe train. Definitely on my bucket list. And his prices seem quite reasonable. I guess it all depends on what you enjoy (I even had a great time touring Iowa with a friend).

I spent the night in Lordsburg last year on a car trip to FL. There was a Denny's and a couple of fast food restaurants. Many old motels that were either abandoned or only had a visitor or two on the road that I assumed was the major highway before I-10. Motel was $50 so couldn't beat that price but the place seemed almost like a ghost town. Left in the AM so never saw it when it may be more awake and busy.

I did a geocaching trip several years ago in February. I stayed on the SL to Tucson to arrive at a decent hour to rent a car. The event was in Yuma but I sure didn't want to get off in Yuma at 4AM.

After the event, I went east into New Mexico and spent the night in Silver City where I found several geocaches. I also went farther east through ElPaso to find a couple more in west Texas.

I had to take a taxi to get to my rental car (about 4 miles) in Tucson. On the return, I left my bag at the TUS station while I returned the car. I was lucky enough to get a bus back to the bus hub which is within

walking distance of the Amtrak station

Back