Train status question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunNut

Service Attendant
I hate to ask such a totally basic question, but don't know who else to ask. I'm taking the Southwest Chief #4 (eastbound) out of Flagstaff. If it's on time, the departure is at 0541 - in the AM. I'm staying in a local hotel the night before. How do I find out if the train is on time? I've been watching the status of this train and some days it's hours late. I don't want to get to the station at 0500 and find out the train's late and I could've slept longer.

I think I can phone Amtrak to get a status, but how accurate is that? If I phone at 0415 will the status be accurate? I don't know if the train station even has chairs for waiting, and don't want to get there only to find the train is late. In looking at the last 16 days, #4 has been 57 or more (sometimes many more) minutes late into Flagstaff eight times.

Thanks in advance for your kindness is steering me straight.

I hate to ask such a totally basic question, but don't know who else to ask. I'm taking the Southwest Chief #4 (eastbound) out of Flagstaff. If it's on time, the departure is at 0541 - in the AM. I'm staying in a local hotel the night before. How do I find out if the train is on time? I've been watching the status of this train and some days it's hours late. I don't want to get to the station at 0500 and find out the train's late and I could've slept longer.

I think I can phone Amtrak to get a status, but how accurate is that? If I phone at 0415 will the status be accurate? I don't know if the train station even has chairs for waiting, and don't want to get there only to find the train is late. In looking at the last 16 days, #4 has been 57 or more (sometimes many more) minutes late into Flagstaff eight times.

Thanks in advance for your kindness is steering me straight.
The train status will typically be pretty accurate. Just call the 800 number, 800-USA-RAIL, ask for train status, and get status for train 4. It is all automated, and you'll be talking the Julie...

or text amtrakstatus (train #) (station code) to 41411 which I think is a marvelous tool.

If you have a cell phone, send a text to 41411 stating Amtrakstatus, Station code, train number.....i.e. amtrakstatus flg 4

You will receive the train status via a text back...

And keep in mind that many of the delays are probably storm related. Thus even keeping an eye on the weather channel might give you some good predictions.

And keep in mind that many of the delays are probably storm related. Thus even keeping an eye on the weather channel might give you some good predictions.
Very good point. I used to work for an airline and I know flights can be delayed depending on the equipment routing.

Does anyone know what #4 "does" before it departs Los Angeles? Is it the incoming #3 from earlier that same day? Is it another train that comes from northern California? Should I look at the #3 arrival status from the same day #4 leaves LAX? Any way to tell what's happening with the equipment that way?

Thanks for the helpful answers about phoning or texting for status. And I found the status box on the Amtrak website (duh - didn't notice it before). I think I can see if #4 departed LAX on time, which should help.

Very good point. I used to work for an airline and I know flights can be delayed depending on the equipment routing.

Does anyone know what #4 "does" before it departs Los Angeles? Is it the incoming #3 from earlier that same day? Is it another train that comes from northern California? Should I look at the #3 arrival status from the same day #4 leaves LAX? Any way to tell what's happening with the equipment that way?

Thanks for the helpful answers about phoning or texting for status. And I found the status box on the Amtrak website (duh - didn't notice it before). I think I can see if #4 departed LAX on time, which should help.
Same consist as 3, the short turn is in LA (goes back out the same day) and the long turn is in Chicago (overnight). The service base for the train is Chicago, and most equipment changes are done in Chicago, but LA will swap cars with another consist if a car is bad-ordered in LA. Also, if the train is very, very late, they might scratch together a consist. Often, though, if the incoming train is really late, the outbound train becomes late, too.

Most long distance trains operate this way. The corridor trains, such as the Cascades, have more of an equipment cycle.

PS-unlike airlines, most delays happen en route. Your best bet to gauge if it is on time, is to check time in like Barstow before you go to bed. If you stay up, do the same for Needles.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some cases you can tell an aggregate site (like Orbitz) or some airlines to contact you with an automated update an hour or two before your flight. I wonder if Amtrak could put a service together that notified you an hour before you train was actually due to depart and taking into account any known delays. How nice would that be?

I agree with zephyr17.

#4 may indeed depart LAX on time, but may encounter a bad delay (say on Cajon Pass or in Barstow) after departure. (In fact, it could even get delayed between departure and Fullerton!) Last October, the Texas Eagle "departed CHI" on time. However we did not even get out of the shed at Union Station before we were delayed - and then had to stop at the CHI Maintainance Facility (just out of Union Station) for well over 30 minutes for repairs!
rolleyes.gif

I also would check later that night (like when it leaves Barstow) or before you leave you hotel in the morning!
wink.gif

Thanks so much to all for the good responses. Your comments are very much appreciated. I might even try the texting, I'm a very rare texter and barely know how. I'll check the #3 into LAX tomorrow, that should be the trip that turns into "my" #4 on 1/19. Cheers!

Thanks so much to all for the good responses. Your comments are very much appreciated. I might even try the texting, I'm a very rare texter and barely know how. I'll check the #3 into LAX tomorrow, that should be the trip that turns into "my" #4 on 1/19. Cheers!
The texting is a nice feature but it will not work with all providers. Most accurate way is with an iPod, iPod touch, Blackberry ot iPhone. Just go online to the Amtrak website and pull up the train status menu. Plug in the train number, station location (use sta. code)and you will get an update.

In some cases you can tell an aggregate site (like Orbitz) or some airlines to contact you with an automated update an hour or two before your flight. I wonder if Amtrak could put a service together that notified you an hour before you train was actually due to depart and taking into account any known delays. How nice would that be?
I noticed something like this on the Amtrak mobile (Usablenet) site. It was called something like "Train Status Alert" notification. I never used it, but perhaps this is what you're talking about?

Checking on the status of a train, and finding that it is running late is generally a good idea. However, you should also be advised that if a train leaves Los Angeles late for some reason, don't assume it will be late at Flagstaff, sleep in, and then go to the station only to find out it made up some time, and you missed it!

Has happenned before.

Lots of different things can happen to a train. Many schedules have some "padding" to allow recovery from lateness.

Also, even if the train leaves the station on time, immediately prior to yours, unfortunately, it can be in a grade crossing accident or other major delay before arriving at your station.

So be prepared for anything.

And enjoy your trip! :)

about 90 percent of the time, train 4 is a few minutes EARLY into FLG - only between about January and March is there much real chance of a delay...

I will be on #4 from Flagstaff on Jan. 31, which I have taken a number of times. Usually the timekeeping of this train is pretty good, and there is padding built into the schedule at Albuquerque. The Flagstaff station is a civilized place. Most of the station is a Visitor Center, with Amtrak occupying the east end with the ticket office, small waiting room, and rest rooms. Are you staying at the Drury? I like to stay there, because they let me leave my car in the covered parking garage.

I will be on #4 from Flagstaff on Jan. 31, which I have taken a number of times. Usually the timekeeping of this train is pretty good, and there is padding built into the schedule at Albuquerque. The Flagstaff station is a civilized place. Most of the station is a Visitor Center, with Amtrak occupying the east end with the ticket office, small waiting room, and rest rooms. Are you staying at the Drury? I like to stay there, because they let me leave my car in the covered parking garage.
No, staying at the La Quinta due to having the dog with me. Husband is dropping me off in the morning, he and dog will then drive back to PHX after I get on the train. This evening I went to the train station to pick up my tickets and check my bag. The station looked deserted, but the door was unlocked and there was one man there tending the ticket counter. He cheerfully checked my bag through to NYP (that was the subject of another thread I started recently) and issued my tickets. It was soooo easy. Just try that with the airlines... Never in a thousand years... The agent even told me exactly where to look for my assigned car, "Just to the left as you exit the waiting room."

#4 departed LAX on time this evening, I'll check status before heading to the station in the morning. The above warning (that the train could be delayed between Williams and Flagstaff after I check status in the morning) is duly noted. Thanks to all the posters for the good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back